Control Wire ID for Superwinch Terra 4500

Buckaroo

Buckaroo

Dec 19, 2023
Central Ohio
Ownership

1. 700-2
Hello All! I am installing a Superwinch 4500SR and am installing a dash mounted switch purchased from the Club Store. I have a black and a blue control wire feeding the contactor and trying to figure out how to hook up the spade terminals on the back of the switch - which is in and which is out? I have the wiring diagram for the switch and think that terminal 1 is in and 3 is out. So which one gets the black wire and which one gets the blue wire? I apologize if this question has been asked and answered before.

Thanks!

Reactions: Buggyman
Buckaroo

Buckaroo

Dec 19, 2023
Central Ohio
Ownership

1. 700-2
So I got out the old multimeter and it looks to me like the blue wire is in and will get hooked to terminal 1 and the black wire is out and will get hooked to terminal 3. Pls advise if I have this wrong.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
So I got out the old multimeter and it looks to me like the blue wire is in and will get hooked to terminal 1 and the black wire is out and will get hooked to terminal 3. Pls advise if I have this wrong.
Kool.
I have found it varies between winch models.
Hook it up to the control wires. If it's reverse swirch the wires.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Buckaroo

Buckaroo

Dec 19, 2023
Central Ohio
Ownership

1. 700-2
Got it - connectors are different on the contactor so need to swap them at the switch. Thanks for the reply!

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Got it - connectors are different on the contactor so need to swap them at the switch. Thanks for the reply!
Or... just flip the switch cover.

Most contractors are spade connectors.
What style did your have?

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
They call them bullet connectors.
Ya. Bullets.

I once included bullets. But found most winches still had spade with a short bullet extention pre-hooked already.

And then had clients get more confused trying to connect those... Then figuring out how to reverse. Lol.

Was the wire lengths good and all?
Appreicate thr feedback.

Buckaroo

Buckaroo

Dec 19, 2023
Central Ohio
Ownership

1. 700-2
I bought the dash switch without the harness - just the spade terminals. I also bought the ACC plug with the 2 ft lead - that was plenty long. I will post up some pics when I get it going - hopefully fire it up this evening....probably poor choice of words....

Buckaroo

Buckaroo

Dec 19, 2023
Central Ohio
Ownership

1. 700-2
OK - so I had it wrong. The blue wire goes to terminal 3 and the black wire goes to terminal 1. I was thinking the in/out on the switch was aligned with the face plate but if you can just switch it, maybe not. So YMMV.

Happy so far with the install. Working good after swapping the blue/black contactor wires on the dash switch. Installed a steel plate on the cross bar for the contactor (pic 1). Swapped the yellow & blue wires to the winch due to length. Used the pre-installed wire for the battery positive lead and connected to B+ on the Contactor. Hooked it to the circuit breaker in the battery box and used the short red wire provided with the winch to go to the battery side of the starter relay (pic 2). Used the winch in/out switch from the Club Store (pic 3) and soldered up a harness to provide key on power using the 24" ACC connector from the Club Store. Cut the wiring off the winch provided switch and soldered spade terminals on it for the Club dash switch. Taped up those bullet connectors after the pic was taken. Ran the red ring connector to the B- terminal on the contactor for ground. Postion of black & blue on switch previously discussed. Ran the B- ground wire from the contactor to the ground on the right side wheel well. Got a longer bolt and used flat & lock washers to make sure connection was secure - important I think (pic 4). Intalled the Remote outlet in the glove box and ran the red ring connector to the B+ terminal on the contactor per instructions. The only other thing I would say is that when I mounted the winch on the KFI Mounting Bracket, the graphics face the rear to provide Underwind per the Superwinch install directions.

700 Winch Contactor 700   Winch Hot Lead with Circuit Breaker 700 Dash Winch Switch 700 Winch Ground 700 Remote

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!