Trailer advice for a newbie with a 1000-5?

D

Driftless

Feb 21, 2024
NE Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Update on my search for a trailer. I keep coming back to a tandem axle with brakes. Featherlite makes an all aluminum, 14-foot tandem axle with two 2,200 pound axles and brakes. The trailer weighs about 900 pounds. A P1000 weighs around 1,750 pounds. Add in some miscellaneous gear and I'll still be under 3,000 pounds, including the trailer weight. My Ridgeline ought to be able to handle towing 3,000 pounds, right? Bear Track makes a model with the same basic dimensions and specs as the Featherlite but I don't know much about that brand. (Anyone have an opinion about Bear Track?)

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Update on my search for a trailer. I keep coming back to a tandem axle with brakes. Featherlite makes an all aluminum, 14-foot tandem axle with two 2,200 pound axles and brakes. The trailer weighs about 900 pounds. A P1000 weighs around 1,750 pounds. Add in some miscellaneous gear and I'll still be under 3,000 pounds, including the trailer weight. My Ridgeline ought to be able to handle towing 3,000 pounds, right? Bear Track makes a model with the same basic dimensions and specs as the Featherlite but I don't know much about that brand. (Anyone have an opinion about Bear Track?)
I think you said it was rated at 5k so 4k or less with trailer brakes and you’ll be fine.

If you’re truly new to towing….watch your turns. A 14’-er will track relatively similar but it will still be closer to the inside of the turn. Check your trailer lights every time you hook up. A lot of times you can wiggle the connection or pull it out and put it back in a few times and it will remove the oxidation on the plugs and they will all work. Practice backing up in an empty parking lot. Spend a $20 on a few cones if you need to. Don’t be the guy that absolutely can’t back up a trailer. It doesn’t take make much practice to be better than half the peeps out there. Go watch a boat ramp on a holiday weekend if you want to see how bad a lot of people are at.

D

Driftless

Feb 21, 2024
NE Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I think you said it was rated at 5k so 4k or less with trailer brakes and you’ll be fine.

If you’re truly new to towing….watch your turns. A 14’-er will track relatively similar but it will still be closer to the inside of the turn. Check your trailer lights every time you hook up. A lot of times you can wiggle the connection or pull it out and put it back in a few times and it will remove the oxidation on the plugs and they will all work. Practice backing up in an empty parking lot. Spend a $20 on a few cones if you need to. Don’t be the guy that absolutely can’t back up a trailer. It doesn’t take make much practice to be better than half the peeps out there. Go watch a boat ramp on a holiday weekend if you want to see how bad a lot of people are at.
Yes, the Ridgeline is rated at 5,000 pounds. Good advice on practicing backing up in an empty parking lot. I've had to back up a friend's trailer to launch a boat a couple of times. Let's just say it took a few attempts.

D

Driftless

Feb 21, 2024
NE Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Final update on my search for a trailer. I got sidetracked but I finally bought one. I got an Aluma 7712H. Single axel. I had the dealer add brakes, which was a $350 upcharge. I was convinced to buy a single axel when I went to a lot and saw how very easy it was to move the 7712H around by hand. The equivalent tandem Aluma, not so much. I just bought it and haven't towed it with a SXS loaded on it yet. I got a Curt Mobile Echo brake controller. I hope to get that installed and calibrated this weekend. Thanks for the input on my initial post.

C

Cobber4082

Lifetime Member
Mar 26, 2019
Solon Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Final update on my search for a trailer. I got sidetracked but I finally bought one. I got an Aluma 7712H. Single axel. I had the dealer add brakes, which was a $350 upcharge. I was convinced to buy a single axel when I went to a lot and saw how very easy it was to move the 7712H around by hand. The equivalent tandem Aluma, not so much. I just bought it and haven't towed it with a SXS loaded on it yet. I got a Curt Mobile Echo brake controller. I hope to get that installed and calibrated this weekend. Thanks for the input on my initial post.
what year is your ridgeline? I have a RedArc elite controller I would make you a sweet deal on! Plug/n/play outfit no wire cutting. I got rid of my 2018 ridgeline and removed it before trade. Also have a sprint booster module you may like :)

Reactions: TxDoc and Smittyp
C

Cobber4082

Lifetime Member
Mar 26, 2019
Solon Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have a 2022 Ridgeline but I like the Curt Echo. Can you use it on multiple vehicles.
Ridgeline are great multipurpose vehicle in my opinion. Towed my 16' enclosed through colorado mountains just fine...except they put a dinky azz trans cooler on them . I would think you would be fine with smaller open trailer.
The idea of the echo controller appealed to me at first then I thought what if somebody unplugged and stole it. Moving to different vehicles wasn't a concern of mine at the time. Enjoy your new rig

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!