P1000 Observations doing first 2022 model service.

H

HondaTech

Just did my 1st service on a 2022 P1K.
@GRANITE unit to be exact.

Somethings I noticed.

Skid plate appears smaller in size, didn't get to compare it next to an older one. It does have the pockets around the mounts like the Talon skids. Also marked with location of oil drains.

Airbox is different only because of molding added for some mount tabs, etc.

IAT sensor is no longer in the airbox.

Under the oil fill panel is a large metal plate to block exhaust heat

They've gotten rid of the rubber flaps around the seat belt buckles and added plastic molded parts isntead.

The air box cover now attaches to the panel that makes up the rear passenger floorboard, instead of just the rubber flap blocking the hole.

I know ive said it elsewhere on here, but the power steering is stupid good now. Even in 4wd diff lock it doesnt feel heavy or jerk like before.

Down shifting is smoother and less jerky, especially when coming to a stop quickly.
I didnt really notice that much of a difference upshifting.

If you have any questions I'll try to answer them. They've changed alot more than meets the eye.

GRANITE

GRANITE

People Dying to come see me!
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 21, 2014
Brookville, Indiana
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 520

Somethings I noticed.

Skid plate appears smaller in size, didn't get to compare it next to an older one. It does have the pockets around the mounts like the Talon skids. Also marked with location of oil drains.

They've gotten rid of the rubber flaps around the seat belt buckles and added plastic molded parts isntead.

The air box cover now attaches to the panel that makes up the rear passenger floorboard, instead of just the rubber flap blocking the hole.

I know ive said it elsewhere on here, but the power steering is stupid good now. Even in 4wd diff lock it doesnt feel heavy or jerk like before.

Down shifting is smoother and less jerky, especially when coming to a stop quickly.

If you have any questions I'll try to answer them. They've changed alot more than meets the eye.
Thanks for taking care of my service! I feel very fortunate to have you close by for my service needs!!

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5

Somethings I noticed.

I noticed last night there is a updated part number for the steering rack. Idk If that has anything to do with it.

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
on stock tires I don't believe there is any data out there on talon power steering issues, so as hondatech said, not a Honda concern...

not good of Honda to design on the edge of cost efficiency

I did switch to 30x10x15 a little while back, more of a rounded pattern, so far so good, no power steering issues.

advertisement
H

HondaTech

Some say it is a pretty serious safety issue.
Not on a stock unit.
If there is a known issue but only on modified units then its not going to be recalled. Honda isnt responsible for modifications.

Im not saying it isnt a problem with bigger tires, I've experienced and tried to troubleshoot the issue on several occasions. But they cant be held responsible for something an owner has changed on their unit and caused a part or function to not work properly.

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've only ever driven one Pioneer 1000, my 2018 that I bought used and has always had 30" tires on it - but I completely don't get all of this talk about poor power steering. I have never even once thought about my power steering as an issue. I guess I don't know what I'm missing, but I think it works great.

It makes me also wonder if the previous owner upgraded it, but I highly doubt it based on what I know about it's history. I haven't actually looked at the power unit.

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
No.
The shaft length is different.
Mounting bracket is different.
Also I think it uses can-bus to communicate with the rest of the vehicle.

I've only ever driven one Pioneer 1000, my 2018 that I bought used and has always had 30" tires on it - but I completely don't get all of this talk about poor power steering. I have never even once thought about my power steering as an issue. I guess I don't know what I'm missing, but I think it works great.

It makes me also wonder if the previous owner upgraded it, but I highly doubt it based on what I know about it's history. I haven't actually looked at the power unit.
My power steering has always been good but the last year it turns really easy to the right but is hard to turn left. I thought if it was the power steering unit going bad that I could upgrade while I was swapping it out. I may have something bent. I've got the front end tore down for a-arm bushings, shock bushings and wheel bearings. New tires going on also. Maybe I can figure out what the issue is.

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Could be something as bad as rack & pinion or steering joint, or as simple as different tire pressures or bad alignment, but I'm sure you checked the latter, @TripleB

Reactions: Robobrainiac
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!