P1000 Occasional Clutch Slippage

Jimmy

Jimmy

May 10, 2015
I am wondering if anyone else has had this experience. I have had my 1000 3 seater for well over a year now. I drive it hard in deep mud and water. Everything is snorkeled and vents extended before I ever drove it in the mud. I have had clutches act up 3 times only. Each time i let it sit for a few hours and they are back to working perfect again with no slippage. The first time was about 13 months ago. I got stuck and it was bottomed out. Another person pulled me backwards and i was in reverse. After i was out it was slipping. It would rev up to about 3000 rpm and then go. I let it sit for 3 hours. Cranked it up and it was like new.
The second time was a month ago. I was in my front ditch and i was high centered. No mud or water. Put it in 4 wheel drive and pulled myself out. Started the same slipping again. I put it in the garage and the next day I rode half the night with no issues. The 3rd time was Saturday. Was stuck good in mud and water. I had to winch myself out and lock front diff. While i was coming out it starting slipping again. I drove back to the truck and loaded it up. I let it sit all day Sunday. I cranked it yesterday and back to normal again. My question is, do these machines go in a limp mode? Did it just get hot or is it progressively getting worse and I need to wash it up good for my Honda dealer to replace clutches?:

swsebek

swsebek

Red,White And Blue Collar Soul
Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
Get your machine scrubbed up and get the updated clutches installed.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Sounds to me like it had gotten hot each time. If that's the case you'll probably benefit from the updated setup like Swsbek mentioned.
Any possiblity you had excessive power going out like lots of lights or stereo without dedicated battery? The last time it happened using the winch can drop the voltage enough it won't fully engage.
It will go into limp mode but that's usually if it finds something wrong with the system not generally a heat issue or low voltage, but low voltage the power steering light will show

Reactions: Delton and sharp
Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Sounds to me like it had gotten hot each time. If that's the case you'll probably benefit from the updated setup like Swsbek mentioned.
Any possiblity you had excessive power going out like lots of lights or stereo without dedicated battery? The last time it happened using the winch can drop the voltage enough it won't fully engage.
It will go into limp mode but that's usually if it finds something wrong with the system not generally a heat issue or low voltage, but low voltage the power steering light will show
I agree they just got hot. Every time they cooled back down they warped a little more. Sooner or later it's gonna shudder the fillings out of your teeth whenever you take off lol. Update is supposed to cure the heat problem.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Makes you wonder why Honda made a extra battery well?

Reactions: 0860silverado
Upstatefreedom

Upstatefreedom

May 25, 2016
Colton,New york
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I had the clutch fix installed my buggy is a lot smoother

Is there any exterior visual difference in the clutch cover for the update? Just curious because I had a little work done to mine this spring and want to know if I could tell just by looking if it has the update.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Is there any exterior visual difference in the clutch cover for the update? Just curious because I had a little work done to mine this spring and want to know if I could tell just by looking if it has the update.

If it was done in the spring they may have chamfered the relief valves but won't have the enlarged oil port to get more oil on the clutches

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV

It wasn't available yet this spring.

Reactions: Smitty335
Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5

9125AECE D34B 4908 99D6 31DEF2EC2330

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!