P1000 OEM Swithplate/meter

jasontjames

jasontjames

Lifetime Member
Apr 28, 2016
Melissa, TX
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I will preface this post by saying that electrical is far and away not my strong suit. I can rebuild an engine, but I can't do electrical to save my life. That having been said, what are y'all's thoughts on using the OEM switchplate versus after market? I like the idea of the OEM because I have detailed instructions that even I could pull off. I am wanting to add a light bar and some cubes. Will I be able to wire aftermarket lights into the OEM fuse panel? Should I just go aftermarket on the switchplate to have more flexibility? Again, learning how to wire it all up gives me anxiety as I don't want my caveman like electrical skills to potentially damage by machine.

JJ

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I have the OEM panel and a custom panel I made.

The OEM panel is expensive but I like it. However, if you choose to use aftermarket accessories, it will be a challenge to hook them up. I used the OEM panel and custom wired my own accessories into it. So basically, I bought it just for the switch panel and additional fuse box.

If you use Hondas accessories, they are all ore wired and it will be completely plug and play.

Sent from my iPhone

Reactions: taylorman
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Here's a pic of what I got and if you choose to embark on the custom setup, there are plenty of guys willing to help you accomplish this.

B62b5d15f722267cd5793899285ec788

Sent from my iPhone

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
BTW, @jasontjames. Welcome to the forum. Please continue to hang around, we got the nicest and smartest guys on the web.

Sent from my iPhone 10s

jasontjames

jasontjames

Lifetime Member
Apr 28, 2016
Melissa, TX
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks, Joey! After looking at your pictures, I thought about the aftermarket plate having the advantage of not taking away the bottom cubby. I am not planning on putting a stereo in and the bottom cubby is where I put my UE Boom so that I have tunes while on the trail.

Looks like I have a lot of reading to do on the build threads in order to learn how to do the aftermarket switchplate.

Reactions: joeymt33
jasontjames

jasontjames

Lifetime Member
Apr 28, 2016
Melissa, TX
Ownership

1. 1000-5
BTW, @jasontjames. Welcome to the forum. Please continue to hang around, we got the nicest and smartest guys on the web.

Sent from my iPhone while at yo mommas house.

It's been great being here so far. I have been lurking and gathering ideas for what I want to do to my 1k5. Tons of good ideas and info. It is awesome to have a resource like this for newbies to the SXS world like me.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
It's been great being here so far. I have been lurking and gathering ideas for what I want to do to my 1k5. Tons of good ideas and info. It is awesome to have a resource like this for newbies to the SXS world like me.

This is how we all got started pretty much. We all share ideas and see what everyone's done. It seems like every week I find some new cool idea from another member and it never seems to stop. Be warned, it will cost you money to hang out with us. I started calling it HAD a while back which stood for Honda Addiction Disorder but then @JACKAL changed it up to mean Honda Accessory Disorder. Either way you look at it, this forum has helped empty my wallet.

Sent from my iPhone 10s

Reactions: jasontjames
nbomar

nbomar

Lifetime Member
Oct 11, 2015
Springdale, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Here's a pic of what I got and if you choose to embark on the custom setup, there are plenty of guys willing to help you accomplish this.

View attachment 15874

Sent from my iPhone while at yo mommas house.
Where can I buy the Honda push pins? Are the Honda specific or does lowes / Home Depot carry something similar?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jasontjames

jasontjames

Lifetime Member
Apr 28, 2016
Melissa, TX
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Where can I buy the Honda push pins? Are the Honda specific or does lowes / Home Depot carry something similar?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was looking at a site today that carries all the oem pioneer parts. Much cheaper than going through Honda. There was link on someone's build thread. He had just bought new body panels for his 1k5. I'll look for the link. Would be a good place to get the oem pins probably. If not, Home Depot, lowes, Oreilly, or a different auto parts store would have them.

jasontjames

jasontjames

Lifetime Member
Apr 28, 2016
Melissa, TX
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks, Joey! After looking at your pictures, I thought about the aftermarket plate having the advantage of not taking away the bottom cubby. I am not planning on putting a stereo in and the bottom cubby is where I put my UE Boom so that I have tunes while on the trail.

Looks like I have a lot of reading to do on the build threads in order to learn how to do the aftermarket switchplate.

Honda Side x Side OEM Parts, Pro Caliber

advertisement
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
A

Alexbgar

May 27, 2016
New Mexico
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hi Joey - two questions for you, on the Honda accessory plate, did the switches you have snap right in or did you have to modify the honda plate to accept them?

Secondly did you get them to work with the honda wire harness or did you have to custom wire it? If you don't mind would you be able to tell me what you did?

I'm a new p1K owner and have just ordered a winch and led light bar. I have the honda plate mainly for the location and look of it. Thanks for your help!
-Alex

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Hi Joey - two questions for you, on the Honda accessory plate, did the switches you have snap right in or did you have to modify the honda plate to accept them?

Secondly did you get them to work with the honda wire harness or did you have to custom wire it? If you don't mind would you be able to tell me what you did?

I'm a new p1K owner and have just ordered a winch and led light bar. I have the honda plate mainly for the location and look of it. Thanks for your help!
-Alex

I did use the OEM wiring and fuse box. It wasn't too bad. OEM has wiring for 4 switches already behind the switch panel so I just used a meter to find out which one was hot, ground, etc.

The OEM has 4 outputs which you will need to make your own plug and wire to go to accessories.

And yes the switches do just snap in.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask.

Sent from my iPad 7G

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!