Oil and sub trans drain extension

R

rslafave

Dec 5, 2021
Douglas, MA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I saw a video showing and telling what you need to extend the drains so u don’t make a mess all over your skid plate. Can anyone help me with this. Thanks I have a 2021 1000-5 deluxe

Reactions: Smitty335
P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
What did he mean by "extend the drains?" If it involves any full-time extension added to your drain port, skip that idea.

Oil changes on the 1000 can be a little messy, but that's just part of the deal. You can take your skid plates off if you want, it's a lot of added work I don't need.

R

rslafave

Dec 5, 2021
Douglas, MA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yes extend the drain with a hose so I don’t need to take skid plate off when I have to change.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Yes extend the drain with a hose so I don’t need to take skid plate off when I have to change.
Never seen that before. also did an extensive search on here and notin honey! Why are u wanting to do this, have you done it the old fashion way yet? If u were to extend them, u would have to change the plug to some kind of barb fitting then something else to cap it. Doing this, I would be afraid that it would catch something in the woods, muck what have you and tear it off and then no oil and bug $$$. Just use a holesaw and cut the hole bigger around the drain plug. I did that to my P1 all gooder now.

Welcome BTW. Got any pics of that machine? 2 posts and bo pics!
#POIDH

Bighat

Bighat

Nov 25, 2021
Gallipolis Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
They make drain valves you can purchase that screw into the drain plug hole but I think that would be very dangerous on and off road machine like these. You would be placing a device that sticks out from the engine housing that could possible be broken off. If you did break it off you may even damage the engine housing where the plug screws into. Now that wouldn't be good.

Red500

Red500

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2018
Greeneville, Tn.
Ownership

1. 500
A bigger hole in the skid plate?
You can always use duct tape to reseal it.
Welcome to the club from East Tennessee.

Prntckt

Prntckt

Lifetime Member
Nov 13, 2020
Altoona, WI
Ownership

1. Talon X4
I remove my skid plate for each oil change. After you do it a few times, you get pretty efficient at it. Per a good recommendation from member ToddACimer, all of the tapped mounting points in the frame have been retrofitted with rivnuts. It takes a little longer to do the oil change, but I find its a good thing to drop the skid plate on a regular basis to clean out all the debris that gets caught above the skid plate. Its a good opportunity to look over the underside of the machine too.

advertisement
PJon

PJon

Lifetime Member
Dec 9, 2020
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I’m getting ready to do an oil change on mine and I’m hoping to add a Fumoto valve along with a piece of capped hose. Skid plates SATV 1/2” will come off for the install and if the valve opening lever comes out on the bottom I’ll try to shim it so the valve lever is up. This will only be the drain that comes out of the engine case horizontally. Don’t know if it will all come together well, but I’m getting tired of the mess.

Reactions: CID and Smitty335
H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
I had the Fumoto valve on the oil tank on my 2011 RZR 900. It worked great. You might need to add a steel skid plate section around the drain area.

PJon

PJon

Lifetime Member
Dec 9, 2020
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I had the Fumoto valve on the oil tank on my 2011 RZR 900. It worked great. You might need to add a steel skid plate section around the drain area.
Yes, I’ll need to check clearance carefully. Right now it’s about 1-1/2” to bottom of skid plate.

PJon

PJon

Lifetime Member
Dec 9, 2020
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well, today was oil change day for my P1k5. I went ahead and pulled the rear half of my SATV skid plate knowing that it was going to be loaded with oily dirt from the last oil change. I also planned to install a Fumoto valve for the engine sump ( the horizontal plug). Unfortunately, the Fumoto valve couldn’t be used. It would turn in about 2 full revolutions and then the valve body started hitting the sump. The good part of the ordeal was that due to having part of the skid plate removed, was that there was no mess to clean up. Guess I’ll just pull the skid plate in the future for oil changes.

tdhanses

tdhanses

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well, today was oil change day for my P1k5. I went ahead and pulled the rear half of my SATV skid plate knowing that it was going to be loaded with oily dirt from the last oil change. I also planned to install a Fumoto valve for the engine sump ( the horizontal plug). Unfortunately, the Fumoto valve couldn’t be used. It would turn in about 2 full revolutions and then the valve body started hitting the sump. The good part of the ordeal was that due to having part of the skid plate removed, was that there was no mess to clean up. Guess I’ll just pull the skid plate in the future for oil changes.
What are the threads for the drains plugs? I’d get this as it’s an internal ball check valve, have one on my pickup https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01AMXATSC/?tag=sxsweb24-20

Reactions: PJon and Smitty335
PJon

PJon

Lifetime Member
Dec 9, 2020
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If you're determine to do it, take a look and this site: Featured Products I'd be scared to death to use one because anything like a stick or rock could turn the valve on and drain your oil.
That valve looks to be very similar in size to the Fumoto which I just found won’t work due to clearance problems with the sump.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!