P1000 Oil Change

Up2It

Up2It

Jan 9, 2016
Calgary Alberta
Just did my first oil change on my machine. I changed the DTC filter and Oil Filter as well of course.

It all went pretty well, except a couple things I thought was interesting. First of all, there are two drain plugs, that is no big deal , but that also means two crush washers!! I didn't realize that Honda puts one in the oil filter bag, so I had already purchased one...which means I dodged a bullet on that one. One of my crush washers from the factory was significantly deformed, so they had put that plug in pretty tight.

I am not normally a slob when I do routine maintenance, but I got oil everywhere!! My drain pan wasn't big enough to catch drippings from both plugs, and when I loosened the filters oil ran from them and the drain plugs onto the bash plate and then across everywhere.

Do you guys normally remove the plate? Is there anyway around this?

Reactions: ghost
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
You might could open the hole in the skid plate a little more with a razor knife. I've done that before.

On my P700 I had to modify the SSS skid plate to keep from making a mess. On the P1000, I haven't changed oil with the TrailArmor

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
You might could open the hole in the skid plate a little more with a razor knife. I've done that before.

On my P700 I had to modify the SSS skid plate to keep from making a mess. On the P1000, I haven't changed oil with the TrailArmor

Trail Armor is a mess too I did an oil change guide for Engine, DCT, Sub Transmission and both differentials have everything saved as a draft was waiting for @Hondasxs to make any edits he wanted. The oil pan plug is the worst facing off to the drivers side shoots oil all over the top of the skidplate before dropping down through the precut slot.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Trail Armor is a mess too I did an oil change guide for Engine, DCT, Sub Transmission and both differentials have everything saved as a draft was waiting for @Hondasxs to make any edits he wanted. The oil pan plug is the worst facing off to the drivers side shoots oil all over the top of the skidplate before dropping down through the precut slot.

Let us know what the solution is please. Especially before my second oil change :)

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Let us know what the solution is please. Especially before my second oil change :)
A brass elbow pointing straight down off the oil pan hole but good luck finding one in 8mm x 1.0 mm thread pitch.

Only other thing I can think (easy) of is cut the curved handle section out of a 1 gal oil jug and use for a 90 degree down funnel

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Finished my oil change today. Started it last weekend but realized I had the wrong filter.
Even with the factory skid I got a good bit of oil everywhere.

Hope to have the oil change live tomorrow.

H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
I take off the skid plate now. I use a old license plate formed to direct the filter oil off the frame and wire harness.

Reactions: joeymt33
dale5740

dale5740

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 4, 2016
mt airy md
what about those quick change valves that install permanently then u run a tube off of them? they make them in a lot of thread styles etc the one below is (not the thread u want but just a thought) might not be applicable I haven't done first change yet so don't know the angles etc

Screen Shot 2016 03 06 at 51302 PM

Reactions: Itsalljake
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
what about those quick change valves that install permanently then u run a tube off of them? they make them in a lot of thread styles etc the one below is (not the thread u want but just a thought) might not be applicable I haven't done first change yet so don't know the angles etc

View attachment 11348

I use those on my trucks and love them. I would use them on the pioneer if they made the correct size. I called them, they don't make a 8mm.

I haven't looked into an adapter yet.

sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Relax is was your first oil change. You will have it perfected by the third.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!