P1000m5 Oil leak

smoothie25

smoothie25

Jan 17, 2021
Illinois
I recently noticed a few drips of oil on my garage floor coming from the SxS. I changed the oil in November and it has about 200 miles since the oil change. I've been checking the oil before each ride and oil level hasn't changed.

The engine and DCT filter covers are pretty wet so I'm thinking maybe a damaged/pinched O ring. Is there anywhere else I should check first before I buy new O rings? Af5e953d58046ebbf49112d0d7e947ba

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I don’t know if you have access on a Pioneer (Talon is easy) but the machined edge where the o-ring has to get past is quite sharp, I intend to ease that sharp corner so the o-ring can slip into place easier. Don’t go too far, the o-ring is pretty close to the edge of the filter cover so we don’t have a lot to work with.

Ohio4x4

Ohio4x4

I brought the dishwasher
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I recently noticed a few drips of oil on my garage floor coming from the SxS. I changed the oil in November and it has about 200 miles since the oil change. I've been checking the oil before each ride and oil level hasn't changed.

The engine and DCT filter covers are pretty wet so I'm thinking maybe a damaged/pinched O ring. Is there anywhere else I should check first before I buy new O rings?View attachment 373129

Check the dipstick o ring. The leak may be above them and seeping down.

T

tbaker

Aug 31, 2013
NW. Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Hopefully it’s just the O ring that’s a cheap fix then you can use the same filters but you will have to top your oil off just don’t over tighten the filter cover I have read that some people have broke the bolt head off like the other guy said check your dip sticks also

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Check the dipstick o ring. The leak may be above them and seeping down.
And - it’s fairly easy to get the dipstick in wrong - there’s something at the bottom of the dipstick hole that catches the tip of the dipstick and tilts it a few degrees. Make sure the tip is forward of that obstruction and the stick is straight in.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Hopefully it’s just the O ring that’s a cheap fix then you can use the same filters but you will have to top your oil off just don’t over tighten the filter cover I have read that some people have broke the bolt head off like the other guy said check your dip sticks also
If you have slid plates, we tend to make a mess on them at times when we change the oil so u
Could quite possibly have oil spraying from that u have on the skid. Reason I say this is that u said you have no change in the oil level since this has happened 🤔
Before u go and change the oil again to do that hasket, get the oil residue off the engine, clean it good and the skid. Drive it then check again. Do easy stuff first, check them off the list. Work smarter not harder.

smoothie25

smoothie25

Jan 17, 2021
Illinois
Checked the dipstick and O ring is good and no oil around the outside.

I thought about the skid plate having oil on it but I’ve driven over 200 miles since then. Half of those miles in Colorado through some deep snow so I thought all of it would’ve washed out by now. I might drop the skid plate and clean everything just to confirm.

Appreciate all the input so far! Pics or it didn’t happen, right? lol here’s one of her in the mountains last fall.
5430ed0491faf46c1c3f64eed408ba30

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
How much oil should I anticipate losing when changing the O rings? I would assume I won’t lose a whole lot, maybe a quart?

Not much. The more I thought about it, I've actually had to do this 2 times on 2 different pioneers. Just swap it quickly because it was oozing out more than I thought it would.

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If you have a shop vac, you can minimize and often avoit any leak at all! Just fashion an adapter so you can hook the vacs suction hose to the oil filler. This will cause a vacuum in the engine/trans so that when you open something below the oil level, air comes in to keep the oil from coming out. I do this when changing the hydrostatic oil filter on my tractor to prevent making a mess when only the filter is called for replacing.

Disclaimer: Someone else thought this up . . . I ain't that smart.

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Or you could just top it off and wipe up the mess

Yes, but then you'd miss out on the joy and feelings of self-worth that come with the application of superior intellect in solving complex mechanical problems. This same superior intellect, that has allowed us to rise above lesser critters, (with the possible exception of some whales, dolphins, elephants and border collies), to achieve our place at the top of the food chain. The noise, of that shop-vac suckin' air, is a testament to just how smart you are!

Or not.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!