P1000 Oil light flashing, transmission not engaging and engine died several times

Parkspremier

Parkspremier

Dec 18, 2020
Central oregon
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hello everyone,
I took my pioneer out hunting this weekend and after 25 miles give or take I stopped on the road that was an incline but nothing too steep and shut it off for a few minutes. We got back in to continue the drive back home and it started fine but when I put it in gear it revved up but would not engage into any gear ( high, low or reverse ), I noticed the oil light flashing and then it died. I started it again and same thing and died. I was able to start it and keep it running with it in neutral and was able to get it turned around since being on a hill and coast down the road with it idling so I would still have power steering. I made it down and to the flat main road and stopped, shut it off, looked underneath for any oil dripping etc and found nothing. Restarted and made it home with no other issues. Checked the oil and it was still full as I had checked it prior to the trip. Was this just a fluke from being hot driving and stopping on an incline for a bit and the oil sensor thinking it was low?! Any one else experience this? My machine is a 2016 pioneer 1000-5 deluxe with 4900 miles 🤷🏻‍♂️ P.s this picture was taken before the issue, the road was steeper than this.

C7E7896A 6429 4B42 AF77 5D83465CF21C

R

rickoshea

This is the first time it has ever done anything like this in the 800 miles that I have owned it. Was it intermittent or once it crapped out was it completely dead? Thanks for the reply
my machine wouldn't shift in to gear and then shut itself down.i sat and ate a sammitch,then it started again.after that it started shutting down every time i took it out.i can't remember what the code is tho'.if i remember correctly it threw 2 different codes.

slowdryrider

slowdryrider

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 14, 2013
Canada
Yup mine is a 2016, acted strange too when my shift motor acted up. Mine had about 14,000 klms (8400) miles. Once I took the shift motor apart and cleaned the armature .Put it back together and it was good to go. I used it for awhile , and eventually I did buy a new shift motor and installed it and kept the oem one for a spare. Never had a problem with shifting or the machine quiting on me since. I now have about 17,000 klms
(10,000 + miles)
If we can nail down problems that people are having with there machines due to shift motor problems there could be a sticky made so that anyone else in the future will have ideas of what to expect and how to fix this.

Parkspremier

Parkspremier

Dec 18, 2020
Central oregon
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hey guys so just to clarify. When the shift motor issues were happening did your oil lights flash?

slowdryrider

slowdryrider

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 14, 2013
Canada
To be honest I didn't notice mine doing that. I was to worried about what was going on and how far from home I was to. Once I shut it off and let it sit for about 10 min. Once I turned the key back on I could hear this clicking sound , once I started it up put it into h , I was able to get moving. It did die on me again on the way home when I had to slow down so I did the same thing .Shut if off for about 10 minutes .Same thing happened again with the key on clicking noise and then started and away I went. It would drive and keep me going for awhile. untill I had to slow down. It was winter and had tracks on so being even in high it's shiffed up into 6 but your not moving that fast. I didn't really notice to much at that time as I was more worried about getting home. I did notice on the third time that it was flashing code 57. So because of how it would act with the shift motor clicking once it turned on I took the shift motor off and took it apart and cleaned it up.The armature was black with carbon. Once put back together it worked fine. I did eventually buy a new shift motor and just have the old for a spare now. Have 3000 klms since changing and no problems since.

advertisement
slowdryrider

slowdryrider

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 14, 2013
Canada
It wasn’t horrible but definitely quite a bit of carbon dust was washed out and I took some emery cloth to everything
Mine wasn't that dirty either, the armature was blackish looking. I'am leaning towards the problem being that from what I've read is that apparently Honda says to test the motor with a 12v supply . Now when the computer activates the shift motor it's only applying 5 v. So with just a bit of build up of carbon the 5 volts isn't really quite enough to overcome the carbon . So my way of thinking is that the shift motor should be removed and cleaned up every 5000 - 6000 miles to keep it trouble free. I'm going to keep a eye on mine and this will be part of my manitance schedule.

Parkspremier

Parkspremier

Dec 18, 2020
Central oregon
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Mine wasn't that dirty either, the armature was blackish looking. I'am leaning towards the problem being that from what I've read is that apparently Honda says to test the motor with a 12v supply . Now when the computer activates the shift motor it's only applying 5 v. So with just a bit of build up of carbon the 5 volts isn't really quite enough to overcome the carbon . So my way of thinking is that the shift motor should be removed and cleaned up every 5000 - 6000 miles to keep it trouble free. I'm going to keep a eye on mine and this will be part of my manitance schedule.
I was able to but almost 50 miles on the pioneer over the last few days and it worked great. So with any luck as you stated adding that to the maintenance schedule will keep it running as it should.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!