P500 Oil reccomendations

M

Maxfarmer

Nov 15, 2020
Mn
Ownership

1. 500
Anyone using Lucas motorcycle synthetic that’s Jason ma2? Is ma2 ok?

JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
Or, if you like having an unquestioned warranty, you could just use the Honda oil, and Honda filter that the manual recommends.... Just a crazy thought... Attached the page from the service manual regarding recommended oil

Attachments

• 3. MAINTENANCE.pdf
    373.3 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:
Reactions: Backwoods
NitroxDiver

NitroxDiver

Dec 22, 2016
Concord NC
Ownership

1. 500
Or, if you like having an unquestioned warranty, you could just use the Honda oil, and Honda filter that the manual recommends.... Just a crazy thought... Attached the page from the service manual regarding recommended oil
Warranty can not be denied because the brand of oil or filter used. Look up the Magnuson Moss warranty act. If your dealer tells you that you must use OEM oil and or filters for warranty requirements then they are required by law to provide then for free. It is important to use oil and filters that meet the manufacturer requirements but the brand is not important. With all that said sticking with the OEM oil and filter does take all the guess work out of it.

JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
Warranty can not be denied because the brand of oil or filter used. Look up the Magnuson Moss warranty act. If your dealer tells you that you must use OEM oil and or filters for warranty requirements then they are required by law to provide then for free. It is important to use oil and filters that meet the manufacturer requirements but the brand is not important. With all that said sticking with the OEM oil and filter does take all the guess work out of it.
Yup, fully agree, and you kinda made my point about the warranty. If by some bizarre chance you do have an oil related failure, being able to show that you've been using the factory oil and filters- and this goes for any brand machine- you will avoid all the inevitable questions that will follow if you use a brand other than O.E.M. I work on Honda outboards, and over the past 10 years, I've only had three engines fail that could be blamed- one for sure- on an oil related failure. The very first words out of the Honda rep's mouth were... "what kind of filter were they using?" and then- "do you have a record of the oil changes, and brand of oil?" No warranty was denied, but in one instance where an aftermarket filter was used, it took weeks, instead of hours to get warranty approved. I don't doubt for one second that there are better oils, but I can tell you from years of experience and conversations with the Honda rep, and tech people, they are absolutely adamant that Honda oil is the best oil for their engines, and I couldn't get any one of them to even waver, or hesitate on that question, and believe me, I tried.
So I tell you guys what I tell my customers- Just use Honda's oil and filters till it's out of warranty, and then use whatever you want.

HiFive

HiFive

Apr 17, 2019
West Central Fl.
Ownership

1. 500
First oil change switched to honda hp4s full synthetic asked dealer IF warranty approved it was a yes. You can purchase at dealer and online.

Reactions: JWB
T

THeck

Jun 3, 2020
Southeast, KY
Ownership

1. 500

2. Do not currently own
Do any of you use Honda 10w 40? Or do you just stick with 10W 30?

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Do any of you use Honda 10w 40? Or do you just stick with 10W 30?

Went to the Honda dealer yrs ago to pick up stuff for my first oil change and they gave me 10w40. Manual calls out 10w30 so I looked into it, you're good either way, very little difference between the two. ;)

Reactions: J80

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!