P500 Oil reccomendations

M0oseMeat

M0oseMeat

Mar 17, 2017
Alberta
Ownership

1. 500
I need to do an oil change this will be my first time doing it myself and I'm also Canadian so my options are limited ( $1.40 to the American dollar is killing me online right now ) does anyone have any oil suggestions that are a fair price? thank you. I've already found a filter I want to buy.

100Acre

100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Lucas JASO approved full synthetic

KYhillbilly

KYhillbilly

Jan 4, 2017
Ashland, KY
Ownership

1. 500
If you change at or before recommended intervals and don't run wide open in desert heat and dust it makes little difference on brand. I have worked in the refining/lubricant business for 30 years and there are only a few suppliers of lube oil base stock left, conventional and synthetic and when changed at or before recommended intervals very little to no performance difference. Just make sure it meets the specs for the P500.

70Bones

70Bones

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2017
New Brunswick Canada
Get Motomaster ATV oil at Canadian Tire. They sell K&N 113 oil filters cheaper than amazon also. As KY said, years ago there were huge differences in oils, today, any brand name oil is very good. Not sure who makes Motomaster, but it's all I run and it's good!

865Pioneer500

865Pioneer500

Jul 5, 2018
Corryton, TN
Ownership

1. 500
I like Honda HP4S. It seems to shift smoother with a really good oil. You can pick it up at your local Honda motorcycle shop.

Reactions: HiFive
P

PeterWirick

Mar 18, 2019
Central US
Ownership

1. 500
I need to do an oil change this will be my first time doing it myself and I'm also Canadian so my options are limited ( $1.40 to the American dollar is killing me online right now ) does anyone have any oil suggestions that are a fair price? thank you. I've already found a filter I want to buy.
I’ve been using Mobil 10-40 4T motorcycle racing oil with a Honda filter. It seems to hold up well so far. I’ve used in two oil changes on two different machines. It’s JASO rated. It’s like $7-$10 US per quart at Walmart. It may be expensive, but I trust it.

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Just got Mobile One 4T and K&N filters delivered off Amazon. For P500 and Rancher.

bowhunterbill

bowhunterbill

May 31, 2019
Bozeman, MT
I picked up oil and a filter to do my ‘first’ oil change the Honda dealer I bought the P5. I laughed when I saw the size of the filter- it looks like something that would be on a Tonka truck or in a doll house!

I was expecting something ‘car-sized’.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

G

Gassygordo

Oct 16, 2017
Fillmore, NY
Ownership

1. 500
I picked up oil and a filter to do my ‘first’ oil change the Honda dealer I bought the P5. I laughed when I saw the size of the filter- it looks like something that would be on a Tonka truck or in a doll house!

I was expecting something ‘car-sized’.

I used the same filter in my 1983 Honda ATC. If it works, don't change it.

Reactions: Mudwing
JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
Alright so I’ve not ridden lots in the last year and thought I’d flip the oil. Thanks to you guys on here I modified the access to the oil filter and thought I’d give Rotella T6 5w-40 a try. Have thus far ran only the Honda semi-Synthetic so guess I’ll see how the T6 works. The Honda Oil is like leaving a few digits (fingers), at the parts counter here in Canada and the T6 full Synthetic has a broader application range and is JASO MA/MA2 certified, easier to find too (in my town).

I used a hole saw and small hacksaw to make a square access port above the filter. Once completed I installed a rubber flap with Honda push pins to seal up the Port. Easy mod and most certainly a time saver now the port is there.
Cheers,
jrc

G

greatcsmith

Nov 6, 2019
Georgia
Revamping an old thread... but I bought some 10w30 Pennzoil Platinum Full Synth today for the p500’s first oil change (130 miles currently on machine) is this alright? It does not say anything about the JASO certification so I’m not sure if this oil is alright for wet clutch applications. I know some run full synthetic with good success but I wanted a second opinion before using it thanks

Last edited:
Reactions: DG Rider
happyfred

happyfred

Mar 20, 2019
NY
Ownership

1. 500
Wet clutches should use MC spec oil. It can help avoid slippage

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Revamping an old thread... but I bought some 10w30 Pennzoil Platinum Full Synth today for the p500’s first oil change (130 miles currently on machine) is this alright? It does not say anything about the JASO certification so I’m not sure if this oil is alright for wet clutch applications. I know some run full synthetic with good success but I wanted a second opinion before using it thanks

No.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!