DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Im told by a lot of people that I should only use 5w30 oil, not /40, or even /50. Why is that, if one wants to quiet an engine down or run it in high temperatures, eg. Mexico. Thanks
I usually run Rotella 5-40. Never had an issue.

If I lived in a colder climate, I'd probably stick to 30 weight, but even then I doubt 40 would cause issues as long as you let it warm up a bit.

SILVER_ALERT

SILVER_ALERT

HONDA SXS Club Flounder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 6, 2016
Route 66 Oklahoma
Ownership

1. 500
Im told by a lot of people that I should only use 5w30 oil, not /40, or even /50. Why is that, if one wants to quiet an engine down or run it in high temperatures, eg. Mexico. Thanks
I use Honda 10-40 in my P5 and all my Honda ATV's, per owners manual and just as important, what my dealer recommends for this (Oklahoma) climate. They have been a Honda dealer since 1962, and I have been buying Hondas from them since 1972. My oldest is a 21 year old Honda Recon that is just starting to use a little oil, but not enough for me to have to add any between changes.

Edit: 100 degree+ days are pretty common here.

Last edited:
Mark in Northern Iowa

Mark in Northern Iowa

Club Contributor
Oct 20, 2021
Floyd County, Iowa
kramnella.wixsite.com
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Pretty much what everyone above said, and
Your Year Model Owners Manual
page 128, and page 129

If you lost your manual, get a FREE digital copy here:
Have a good day

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
On every forum I've ever been on - cars, trucks, motorcycles, and ATVs -, someone wants to ignore the manufacturer's engineers and come upo with some magical engine oil. I've never understood this.

I find it very simple to follow Honda's recommendation. I use Honda branded oil and oil filters.

• Haha
Reactions: Remington
Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I use Honda branded oil
Thats mobil one branded oil BTW you just paying for the Honda name and that fine if u like. Just like generac, its Mobil one branded oil. We buy the mobil one at the shop and save a bit, plus dont have to go to a specific place to get get it. Wont void the warrenty

Reactions: HBarlow
HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
I think (hope?) everyone knows Honda doesn't own an oil refinery that refines crude oil and produces Honda motor oil but does it matter? Honda recommends their Honda brand oil but provides the specification so owners can buy an equivalent motor oil.

If you have a free or very cheap source for an equivalent oil that's fine but what can you save if you buy Mobil brand motor oil off the retailer's shelf instead of Honda branded oil?

I don't care if Honda branded oil costs a dollar or two more than Mobil 1 or an equivalent premium motor oil. Buying Honda oil allows me to avoid wondering if the oil I buy is compatible with the wet clutches. Is saving a dollar or two per quart going to change anyone's standard of living?

Some of the people who refuse to buy Honda parts, oil, and filters will drive across town to buy another brand and are the first to complain when their Honda dealer, who is struggling to avoid bankruptcy in a Biden economy, has no inventory or won't give them a discount on a new atv or parts.

I support the manufacturer and dealers when I can.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!