BOX1

Talon Ordered a 2020 Talon R!

NFA_Fun

NFA_Fun

Aug 22, 2017
Pinetop, Arizona
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Finally pulled the trigger on a 2020 Talon R! Have had a ton of fun and no regrets with our Pioneer LE, but time to upgrade. Have a few questions and need recommendations of some accessories before it arrives...

What you you guys and gals recommend for the following:

Extended fender flares...Looking at MudBuster (I believe are made close to me in Tempe, AZ) or RockBloks? I don't ride in the mud, need them more for the cactus and other debris thrown up off the tires. An air borne cholla cactus really gets your attention! Also want to protect the paint and lower sections from sand and rocks.

Rear trailing arm and front A arm HMWP protection. Looking at trail armor or factory. TA looks to be 1/2" vs the 1/4" Honda. I have a 5X10 1/2" sheet I will built my own skid plate in the near future.

Any other items recommended primarily for protection I pick up before the machine arrives?

Windshield, bed enclosure, lower doors, and other necessities will be ordered once machine is home.

Thanks everyone for all the help and the great board!!

B

Reactions: Isaiah and 500oneer
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I've added the 1/2" Trail Armor skid assembly, copied @hondabob 's snorkel idea (details in his Talon 6,000 and 10,000 mile ride reports) and in the process of installing the Ryco turn signal/horn/license plate light (lots of 'stuff' to do but taking it 'one bite at a time'). I also have the TA trailing arm protection yet to install and haven't decided on the A-arm protection because I don't know which high clearance arms I might end up with.

The reason I went with Bob's snorkel is because he keeps the goofy air intake chamber 'thingie' - I think it's a noise cancelling measure and don't want to listen to the HONK of an unsilenced intake all day. I didn't run it up to the roof because that brings the possible noise even closer to my ears. With this, I can extend the filter straight up, getting the noise exit higher and even more above my ears if necessary.
I gXGK7GX M

I 7HPhcsr M

SpeedBuggy

SpeedBuggy

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 1, 2020
WA
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
I've added the 1/2" Trail Armor skid assembly, copied @hondabob 's snorkel idea (details in his Talon 6,000 and 10,000 mile ride reports) and in the process of installing the Ryco turn signal/horn/license plate light (lots of 'stuff' to do but taking it 'one bite at a time'). I also have the TA trailing arm protection yet to install and haven't decided on the A-arm protection because I don't know which high clearance arms I might end up with.

The reason I went with Bob's snorkel is because he keeps the goofy air intake chamber 'thingie' - I think it's a noise cancelling measure and don't want to listen to the HONK of an unsilenced intake all day. I didn't run it up to the roof because that brings the possible noise even closer to my ears. With this, I can extend the filter straight up, getting the noise exit higher and even more above my ears if necessary.
View attachment 188330

View attachment 188331
what trailing arm guards are you using?

Reactions: Isaiah
SpeedBuggy

SpeedBuggy

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 1, 2020
WA
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
in the PNW the trails are tight with lots of trees that have branches sticking into the trails. it is especially bad after a snow or in the spring. I use the steel Honda bumper and it offers a lot of protection around the front fenders and headlights if you are going to be mowing over cactus and varmints.

Reactions: CID and Isaiah
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
what trailing arm guards are you using?
Trail Armor, I haven't even taken the plastic wrap off them, so can't add any info, just added them when ordering their skid plate.

Reactions: Isaiah
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
in the PNW the trails are tight with lots of trees that have branches sticking into the trails. it is especially bad after a snow or in the spring. I use the steel Honda bumper and it offers a lot of protection around the front fenders and headlights if you are going to be mowing over cactus and varmints.
I bx3vt45 L

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Finally getting around to picking up new Talon R on Saturday! Garage full of accessories ready to go on.
What cool stuff didya get? Inquiring minds want to know. :cool:

NFA_Fun

NFA_Fun

Aug 22, 2017
Pinetop, Arizona
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
So far.....
Mud Buster large full kit (they are made a few miles from me)

Factory UTV Ultimate 1/2” with aluminum brace

Super ATV lower doors and bed extender

EMP winch mount for Terra 45

UTV801 windshield with wiper

Plus have the following from my Pioneer: lights, isolator, second battery, air horns, mirrors, etc

Reactions: CID
NFA_Fun

NFA_Fun

Aug 22, 2017
Pinetop, Arizona
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Does anyone know if the Mud Busters will fit with the Factory UTV skid plates?

Noticed the plates bend up at the rear of the front wheel well.

Rambo

Rambo

Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2016
Southern Indiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Does anyone know if the Mud Busters will fit with the Factory UTV skid plates?

Noticed the plates bend up at the rear of the front wheel well.
I made them work together, you'll have to do a little trimming on the mudbusters. Wasn't hard, I'll try and remember to post a pick when I get home.

Reactions: CID and NFA_Fun
jamesh

jamesh

Lifetime Member
Apr 11, 2019
DFW
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon x4
X4 here. Skid plate and bigger tires are must haves for capability and protection in my opinion. Everything else is just nice to have. I've added:

Alba Racing bead lock wheels and 1.5 inch spacers for the rear
Super ATV lower doors in front, Trail Armor lowers in rear (not the best option, but slim pickins outside OEM)
Cheap Tanaka 5 point harnesses. I may upgrade these to better ones. They are safe enough, but are a pain to put on and off.
Rugged radio and intercom with various mounting accessories
Uni Prefilter - will probably just install inside the air box, but haven't made up my mind yet.
Chupacabra side mirrors. Definitely getting a rear-view soon.

Show boat stuff:
Noam sound system
Tribal light whips on Axia Alloy whip mounts
Generic rock lights
6 inch GG light bar on stock bumper
Generic Proswitch switch box and relay setup. Store the switch module in glove box rather than mounting switches in dash and whatnot.

I'm seriously considering the turbo upgrade and possibly a long travel kit over the next year. Adds another $12K or so. At that point it will have cost a little more than a RR 195 HP Can Am, have less horsepower (but still enough), but also be a Honda.

J

jaymohn

Aug 9, 2019
Cincinnati
Ownership

1. Talon X
X4 here. Skid plate and bigger tires are must haves for capability and protection in my opinion. Everything else is just nice to have. I've added:

Alba Racing bead lock wheels and 1.5 inch spacers for the rear
Super ATV lower doors in front, Trail Armor lowers in rear (not the best option, but slim pickins outside OEM)
Cheap Tanaka 5 point harnesses. I may upgrade these to better ones. They are safe enough, but are a pain to put on and off.
Rugged radio and intercom with various mounting accessories
Uni Prefilter - will probably just install inside the air box, but haven't made up my mind yet.
Chupacabra side mirrors. Definitely getting a rear-view soon.

Show boat stuff:
Noam sound system
Tribal light whips on Axia Alloy whip mounts
Generic rock lights
6 inch GG light bar on stock bumper
Generic Proswitch switch box and relay setup. Store the switch module in glove box rather than mounting switches in dash and whatnot.

I'm seriously considering the turbo upgrade and possibly a long travel kit over the next year. Adds another $12K or so. At that point it will have cost a little more than a RR 195 HP Can Am, have less horsepower (but still enough), but also be a Honda.
Hi JamesH,
Do you have a link to the 6" light bar that you mounted on stock bumper? Any pictures or description of the install? Looking to do the same thing.
Any help is much appreciated.

jamesh

jamesh

Lifetime Member
Apr 11, 2019
DFW
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon x4
Hi JamesH,
Do you have a link to the 6" light bar that you mounted on stock bumper? Any pictures or description of the install? Looking to do the same thing.
Any help is much appreciated.

This is the light bar: 6

This is the mount: LED Bar Cradle Mount

These are the amber and green lens covers I got for it: LED Bar Cover

These are the bar clamps: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07QGDXK4J/?tag=sxsweb24-20

Note that I drilled holes into the mount since the existing holes did not line up according to the close spacing required for the bar clamps on the bumper.

No pics, sorry. The bar clams are mounted like this: Imagine the clamp shaped as a "P". rotate the P so that the flat side is up and the long end is pointing to the machine. That will set the light back so it's not popping out over the front of the bumper.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!