P1000 Ordered a new Pioneer 1000-5 Trail edition, have a few questions?

20TAC

Jul 31, 2020
Saskatchewan, Canada
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Hello,

Been on here for a while now and have finally got a deposit on a machine. Was told a delivery of late May or early June. So hoping it shows up sometime in early July lol. Will be used for myself, the wife and our 2 kids (8 and turning 13). Figure for the rear seat we can add some boat cushions for more leg room and in a could years the elder son will want to ride his own machine.

We picked the Pioneer for the shorter wheelbase, usable dump box, Honda brand as well as its the quietest option available. Liked the RMAX-4 but wife and kids said was too loud for them.

So after reading many forum posts and watching numerous videos I think I've got a decent idea for accessories to get:

1. Factory plastic roof. Will keep us out of the summer sun, and the rain if we stop and wait it out.
2. Factory storage cover. Keep the dust and sun off the machine when stored outdoors. Roof will support cover from rain and snow.
3. Rear mesh screen. Have a local tarp shop willing to make a rear screen for the back. Help keep the dust down.
4. Factory half windshield. Keep the wind and some bugs out of out face. Also hopefully allow enough air to not increase dust.
5. Full Ricochet Offroad skid plates to protect machine. Plan to be nice and casual, but don't want to clip a stray rock and damage anything.
6. Will run factory tires and upgrade once they get some

For the rear mesh we thought about the Honda factory one but didn't want to roll it up all the time and the clear panel would heat the kids up. Could be wrong and it's still an option if better than a mesh rear panel.

For windshields, we though of going without, but the half should add wind comfort,
Thought of the factory 2 piece. But not sure if running the bottom would provide as good of wind protection as the half windshield. Also don't plan on a lot of cold weather riding. And in the cracked position would probably suck in to much dust on out sandy trails here.
Also thought of the Super ATV windshield but a couple reviews show the lower windshield very close to the shift knob and don't want to be taking knuckles off when going to park. Also how much wind protection does the lower half provide?

For skid plates, has anyone installed the Ricochet ones on a 2022 model? specifically want to know if the front a arms will fit as there were some changes on the 2022 ones. (different product numbers) not sure if its different sizing or just mounting bolt locations.

May also add some lighting in the future, a little disappointed they cut the factory LED headlights. So might upgrade to them of a light bar if we need to in the future.

Thanks for all the input.
Will definitely be posting photos once machine shows up.
Located Saskatchewan.

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
For windshields, we though of going without, but the half should add wind comfort,
Thought of the factory 2 piece. But not sure if running the bottom would provide as good of wind protection as the half windshield. Also don't plan on a lot of cold weather riding. And in the cracked position would probably suck in to much dust on out sandy trails here.
Also thought of the Super ATV windshield but a couple reviews show the lower windshield very close to the shift knob and don't want to be taking knuckles off when going to park. Also how much wind protection does the lower half provide?
If there's no one driving in front of you, there's no dust going to come in via the front, windshield or no. I have the Honda "top opens" windshield (SuperATV's is better). But even the Honda one is fine in terms of blocking air and bugs, as well as letting in a good breeze for cooling. I don't think I'd be happy with just a partial windscreen, unless I was wearing a full face helmet.

Reactions: StewB
P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yeah, I'd recommend going to a flip-down style windshield as well. That's what I run.

I like to run around with it as a half-shield all Summer when it's warm, but you'll find yourself running with it up a lot in the spring and fall.

Reactions: Rayger143 and StewB
Farmer

Farmer

🚜🔨🚛🔧
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 22, 2014
Southern MO
Ownership

1. 700-2
Keep in mind that the cover will invite critters who like to chew wires.

Reactions: Rayger143
Rayger143

Rayger143

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 5, 2020
Winfield, BC Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Congrats and welcome to the club from BC. I originally had the Honda half windshield and really liked it for warmer dry riding. The only reason I changed to the SATV flip up was when I ran into wet weather and colder riding. I find it is up most of the time in the summer unless I'm pushing through a grown in trail. A skid plate is a must but IMO the a-arm guards are a waste of time and money. My buddy has them and all they seem to do is fill with mud. As far as your headlights go I would recommend adding auxiliary lighting before upgrading them. You might find after you install a light bar and maybe a couple pods that you will be happy with night riding vision. Be sure to check out the club store as there are some nice kits for lighting etc. I hope you get your ride home soon! Enjoy!

Reactions: PJon and Farmer

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!