P700 Over the tire tie downs

Dogjudge

Dogjudge

I plan on hauling my 700-4 SXS in my toyhauler. Now I use to haul a custom golf cart and found on several occasions that it shifted significantly when traveling down the road. I used five ratchet tie downs hooked to the frame and one across the middle. Even this was not 100%. I was told that the over the tire tie downs were superior and that if I used at least two of those my concerns would be met. Anyone here have experience with them? I checked eBay and Amazon and they seem to be in the $40 a piece price range, but all of them seem over sized for the tire size I have (standard stock tires and rims). So are there any other sources that are better suited for our Honda 700's? Of course price is always a factor, but I want to open my rear garage door and see the buggy in the exact same spot I put it in when I left the house, NOT up against the wall and loose.

Here's a link to the eBay sale

New Over the Wheel Tie Down Bonnet Car Truck Tractor Trailer Haul Strap ATV UTV

Last edited:
Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
I have heard good things about over the wheel style straps since they are unaffected by the vehicles suspension compressing during transit. I would not shy away from using larger straps intended for cars, bigger/stronger is better in these cases. I don't currently use them but have considered it

B

blemmer64

Oct 5, 2015
I found over the tire straps at Harbor Freight . They were about 28 bucks on sale . They fit good on my stock tires and seem to be well made .

Reactions: Digger
Theron

Theron

Sep 30, 2013
Anchorage Alaska
Ownership

1. 700-4
I got them from Cabelas and have used them a lot and love them. I was breaking ratchet straps every time out before. I also had the fastraps but like the Cabelas ones better because they pop right off for storage and can be used on e-track.

Dogjudge

Dogjudge

Thanks gang,

I think a trip to Harbor Freight is in order then. Seems to be a reasonable price and they look heavier made than the ones advertised for typical UTV's and ATV's. I just want the darn thing to stay put. It is kinda unnerving to open up the garage of the Toyhauler and see the rig sitting two feet one way with loose straps. I'll report back on this for ya'll.

Reactions: Tflynn
C

ckhenshaw4

Mar 1, 2014
I tie ours down with tire bonnets, and love it. Wouldn't do it any other way again.

nbomar

nbomar

Lifetime Member
Oct 11, 2015
Springdale, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I use cargo buckle straps on my front and rear a arms. Allows the suspension to cycle and if it does compress enough, the cargo buckle re-cinches. I used these on my Harley when I had it because they are difficult to tie down and when the suspension cycles, you could end up with a bike on the floor. Not good.

Farmer

Farmer

🚜🔨🚛🔧
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 22, 2014
Southern MO
Ownership

1. 700-2
Guy, guys.... photos please. I have looked into these myself and can't quite pull the trigger. Here's why... it seems to me that the straps for these need to be anchored inline with the wheels. Not sure it is good to be pulling out at 90 degrees or even angled to the sides on the 700 suspension. Attaching inline would require a few individually placed anchor points or the use of E-track.

I have an aluminum deck. So, individually placed anchors would be ok IF the 700 was hauled in the same location every time. Sometimes I trailer a wheeler in front which moves the 700 back a bit. You get the point.

I would think E-track would require a ton of screws and holes in my deck to be secure. Not to sure about that.

Anyone else used this type of strap on an all aluminum trailer with success? If so please post pics.

advertisement
dale5740

dale5740

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 4, 2016
mt airy md
Guy, guys.... photos please. I have looked into these myself and can't quite pull the trigger. Here's why... it seems to me that the straps for these need to be anchored inline with the wheels. Not sure it is good to be pulling out at 90 degrees or even angled to the sides on the 700 suspension. Attaching inline would require a few individually placed anchor points or the use of E-track.

I have an aluminum deck. So, individually placed anchors would be ok IF the 700 was hauled in the same location every time. Sometimes I trailer a wheeler in front which moves the 700 back a bit. You get the point.

I would think E-track would require a ton of screws and holes in my deck to be secure. Not to sure about that.

Anyone else used this type of strap on an all aluminum trailer with success? If so please post pics.
if u are always going to park it in the same spot on the trailer then put strap over tire directly!!

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!