P500 Overheating!

M

mike_outdoorlife

Sep 19, 2020
Grande Prairie,AB
Ownership

1. 500
I'm having issues with my P500 overheating. Origianally started when going high in elevation - 5000ft. which I thought would cause the issue. After that trip changed coolant, oil, air filter and cleaned out exhaust. (Spark Arrestor). Let it idle just in my driveway and is still overheating. The fan only engages for a second or two when it cuts in. Is this a fan issue? Or what else can I check. Seen another post about overheating but that was around mud in the rad. This scenerio is idling clean in my driveway.

HUCK

HUCK

Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2016
ARIZONA
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X
I'm having issues with my P500 overheating. Origianally started when going high in elevation - 5000ft. which I thought would cause the issue. After that trip changed coolant, oil, air filter and cleaned out exhaust. (Spark Arrestor). Let it idle just in my driveway and is still overheating. The fan only engages for a second or two when it cuts in. Is this a fan issue? Or what else can I check. Seen another post about overheating but that was around mud in the rad. This scenerio is idling clean in my driveway.
Is it a new unit ? What year ? Miles ?

Bastardchild

Bastardchild

Nov 3, 2016
Orange Heights, fl
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
There is an air bleeder bolt on the thermostat housing. Its kinda located under the seat belt buckles under the seat pan. Its a pain to get to. I actually cut a little access panel in my seat pan so I could get to the bleeder bolt on mine back when I had a P5. You should get a cooling system vacuum. Drain all the fluids from your radiator and engine block. Pull a vacuum on the system and then suck new fluids in. When you pull a vacuum on the system and then suck fluids back in, there is no positive pressure air in the system and the fluid will seek out all the nooks and crannies of your cooling system that could potentially hold air. I got mine for like $25 on Amazon and it works awesome. I highly recommend one. You could also wire in a toggle switch to let you manually turn on your fan when you want it on. Let us know what you find out. Good luck to you!

M

mike_outdoorlife

Sep 19, 2020
Grande Prairie,AB
Ownership

1. 500
There is an air bleeder bolt on the thermostat housing. Its kinda located under the seat belt buckles under the seat pan. Its a pain to get to. I actually cut a little access panel in my seat pan so I could get to the bleeder bolt on mine back when I had a P5. You should get a cooling system vacuum. Drain all the fluids from your radiator and engine block. Pull a vacuum on the system and then suck new fluids in. When you pull a vacuum on the system and then suck fluids back in, there is no positive pressure air in the system and the fluid will seek out all the nooks and crannies of your cooling system that could potentially hold air. I got mine for like $25 on Amazon and it works awesome. I highly recommend one. You could also wire in a toggle switch to let you manually turn on your fan when you want it on. Let us know what you find out. Good luck to you!
Thank-you, some things to try

NitroxDiver

NitroxDiver

Dec 22, 2016
Concord NC
Ownership

1. 500
You said the fan only kicks on for a short time. Is the fan kicking off but temp still climbing? If so then I think you have a fan problem.

bigshoe

bigshoe

Aug 17, 2020
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ck if u have power at fan when it starts getting hot if there's power at the fan then its the fan, no power start cking relays

M

mike_outdoorlife

Sep 19, 2020
Grande Prairie,AB
Ownership

1. 500
Ck if u have power at fan when it starts getting hot if there's power at the fan then its the fan, no power start cking relays
So update on this I used another 12v battery to jump the fan connection straight to power. The fan did not work. Ordered a new motor but when I took the old one out I did the same check and the old fan works. So does that leave me to relays as you mentioned? what is there in line other than a fuse? Fuse is good btw

D

Duckhunt

There is no relay just the fuse. And the fan always has positive power, even with the machine key off. The ECM provides the ground for the fan. So you can unplug the fan and check for 12v across the red and then to frame or chassis ground. If you had key on and unplugged the temp sensor (by spark plug in head), this will automatically kick fan on so you can check your ground in the fan connector too then.

bigshoe

bigshoe

Aug 17, 2020
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So update on this I used another 12v battery to jump the fan connection straight to power. The fan did not work. Ordered a new motor but when I took the old one out I did the same check and the old fan works. So does that leave me to relays as you mentioned? what is there in line other than a fuse? Fuse is good btw
Its highly possible your removal of old fan knocked the motor around and made it work temporarily. id try the new fan amd go from there

bigshoe

bigshoe

Aug 17, 2020
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So in light of some new good info make sure u have b+ at fan.

Reactions: Duckhunt
Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
I recall @100Acre had fan issues because the wires were crushed. Thinking membership upgrades used to give more resources, well worth it.

Reactions: Mudwing and 100Acre
100Acre

100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I recall @100Acre had fan issues because the wires were crushed. Thinking membership upgrades used to give more resources, well worth it.
That was in the 500. Where are the aftermarket bracket for the power steering head clamp down on and pinched the wires. I did have some overheating issues at Tackett Creek but that was from a switch that had gone bad under the seat and Richard replaced it but I don’t remember what it was

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!