Village Idiot In Training
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2020
High Plains of SD
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. 1000-5
Tow vehicle or trailer ?? What size tires?

You should compare the actual footprint of each mounted type.

Old school used to say : look at the logging trucks or agi equipment in your area. What do they use. But they all deal with weight. Off-road vehicles tend to stay on the lite side.

A tall, skinny tire will bite down thru mud and snow better, more pounds per square inch of surface area. A tall skinny tire generally has better traction. Better for power unit.

Wider tires will want to float over the terrain and can loose traction due to the wider foot print. Better for trailers.

About the only time duals might work better off-road is in boggy type soil where you need flotation. That said, if you could get a super single the exact same widrh as the width of the mounted duals, it would work better.

Try driving a semi tractor with duals without weight or a loaded trailer, in mud or snow. Most helpless thing there is.

With all that said, duals on a power unit or trailer will give you more “side bite” if there is plenty of weight on them. Envision sliding sideways on a steep trail that is off camber.

That same “side bite” will make it very hard to turn/spin a trailer around. Especially if trying to move it by hand.

There is always the consideration, if you have a flat with duals, you might be able to limp back home on three tires.

What is the cost of 4 tires and rims vs 2 super singles ??

I’ve run super singles on semi tractors, trailers, and converter dollies. Never in an off roading application, so take it for what it’s worth Dan.

Last edited:
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
It’d be for the vehicle, not a trailer
Can you post a picture of what you're thinking? Dually means 4 wheels on one axle to me and that seems like it would be too wide for Overlanding (exploring the backcountry on dirt roads). If you're thinking one of those $500k military based trucks that can travel about one mph, not my style; I want to actually get somewhere when I'm exploring.

More money than brains IMO -
OIP

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Size of a Sherp...wont go many of the places my Talon does
OVERALL LENGTH 157" (3,988 MM)
OVERALL WIDTH 101“ (2,570 MM)***
OVERALL HEIGHT 118“ (2,846 MM)
But the Sherp can go places our Talons can't. Despite my best efforts, a Talon can not float. These things are BA.

Screenshot 20240101 131712 DuckDuckGo

Screenshot 20240101 132223 DuckDuckGo

Nice overlander trailer ... lol

Screenshot 20240101 132354 DuckDuckGo

100Acre

100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I’d take a Sherpa if I lived in Alaska. The was one for sale in Coeur D’Alene recently but I’m not interested in that. I’d rather have a Hagglund. Or a tank. I was just wanting to do some backcountry exploring in my F350 dually. Set the camper back on, seal the leaks and go somewhere SW and look at red rocks

100Acre

100Acre

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I decided to change the thread name to Overlanding

Reactions: NTCPrezJB and ChadD
100Acre

100Acre

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I think I’m going to go somewhere soon and was reminiscing about my past glamping apparatuses. I was the first guy in the SE to own a roof top tent, which was the direction I took after living under a truck canopy for a couple of years off roading and exploring serious backcountry roads. Then I bought and had modified my 1967 Johnson Furnace M416 1/4 Ton military Jeep trailer. It carried the tent for a few years until I got my current Four Wheel Camper- Hawk.

485F0872 1EEB 4A73 A473 9CCD73C03702 8DA90889 3C8F 4405 8F11 8495D1486927
485F0872 1EEB 4A73 A473 9CCD73C03702
8DA90889 3C8F 4405 8F11 8495D1486927
307603CE 9F0E 41F0 AE8F AD3B12676CF7
13DA33EE 8D17 4348 B9EB C5DF40ACCDB6

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I’d take a Sherpa if I lived in Alaska. The was one for sale in Coeur D’Alene recently but I’m not interested in that. I’d rather have a Hagglund. Or a tank. I was just wanting to do some backcountry exploring in my F350 dually. Set the camper back on, seal the leaks and go somewhere SW and look at red rocks.
Tow your buggy, set up camp anywhere and make day rides until the area is done, move to a new area, wash, rinse, repeat. :cool:

I have desert sand in my DNA helix. 😍

I SpD6bdx X2

I Fz37NDd X2

I Nq5TrSQ X2

I K7FXnLn X2

Last edited:
lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
Is there any benefit of using super singles over dually rear wheels for off road or Overlanding?
This is a yes / no situation.

Duels are not great off road for several reasons.
Having two tires side by side on soft ground is a disadvantage.
A tire pushes up a 'wave' of sand or mud and the tire is constantly trying to climb over the wave.
Airing down will extend the length of the contact patch giving better flotation but the wave is still there.
So duels are trying to climb two bow waves.

Also on rocky ground you can get a rock lodged between the tires.
This will very quickly damage the side walls of the tires in an area that is hard to see.
It pays to stop and check for rocks often.
And, stop and look for rocks stuck between the tires when you hit the pavement - you don't want to throw a rock at some tourist going the other way.
(BMW on your rear bumper - let em have it)

Finally, loading a slide in camper with duels is a pain.

However, if the truck you have has duels it's better to get out there with the truck you have than to be stuck at home because you cant afford to travel with your new truck payments.
Seriously don't let some ideal situation stop you from getting out there.

And, since you changed the title of the thread to anything overlanding, my new cap:
Awning

The sleeping platform is east / west so there is a little room left at the tail gate.
It's tall enough to sit in a lawn chair in side.
Just waiting on a futon mattress and a power station (and warmer weather).

Last edited:
100Acre

100Acre

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
This is a yes / no situation.

Duels are not great off road for several reasons.
Having two tires side by side on soft ground is a disadvantage.
A tire pushes up a 'wave' of sand or mud and the tire is constantly trying to climb over the wave.
Airing down will extend the length of the contact patch giving better flotation but the wave is still there.
So duels are trying to climb two bow waves.

Also on rocky ground you can get a rock lodged between the tires.
This will very quickly damage the side walls of the tires in an area that is hard to see.
It pays to stop and check for rocks often.
And, stop and look for rocks stuck between the tires when you hit the pavement - you don't want to throw a rock at some tourist going the other way.
(BMW on your rear bumper - let have it)

Finally, loading a slide in camper with duels is a pain.

However, if the truck you have has duels it's better to get out there with the truck you have than to be stuck at home because you cant afford to travel with you new truck payments.
Seriously don't let some ideal situation stop you from getting out there.

And, since you changed the title of the thread to anything overlanding, my new cap:
View attachment 419451

The sleeping platform is east / west so there is a little room left at the tail gate.
It's tall enough to sit in a lawn chair in side.
Just waiting on a futon mattress and a power station (and warmer weather).
That’s badass Lee!

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!