P1000-6 Crew - Shock Upgrade Help

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Do you think that it would be a bad idea to go with p1000-5 shocks on the p1000-6 ? Or just be patient until they build one for the 1000-6? I know that between the 3 to 6 seater it is about 200 pound increments.

1000-3 weighs 1567 lbs
1000-5 weighs 1720 lbs
1000-6 weighs 1936

I also added a Ranch Armor steel roof which weighs 200 pounds (Still at Dealer being built out). I am waiting on them to add the full skid plates from Ricochet, glass windshield, wiper, rear fabric panel, front bumper, winch, light bars, XTC turn signal kit, XTC power control system, front/rear speakers, light bars (all 4 sides on roof), lower light bar (rough country 50' led light kit and dual Led Cubes)

Will post pics when done with the build and thanks for everyone's input!

View attachment 403174

View attachment 403175

I will subtract my two cents, I would like to discuss the amount of weight you can have in a 1000-6. It's not just 200lbs more. There is a TON more you can potentially hold. Keep in mind you not only could have 6 people in the thing, you also still have access to an entire bed that is not accessible with passengers in a 1000-5. The wheelbase is longer which places your loads in the center, rather than over the axles/shocks like the 1000-5. I also see you have a roof rack that can hold even more luggage.

I think it is totally acceptable to use 1000-5 shocks. I would strongly recommend you swap coils. You will most likely have to experiment with coil rates. Potentially do more than 1 swap if the ride quality is not up to your standards.

I will say if you use the 1000-5 shocks with swapped coils and document the journey well; there may be alot of folks on here who would appreciate the knowledge you could share.

I would not hesitate to try the swap if it were mine. I would strongly recommend weighing the machine after all mods are done. I think my 1000-5 was over 2000lbs.

Lastly
Keep in mind
The BIGGEST issue you may run into is how you use your machine.

An example
You heavy load it up with all your trail gear and friends with coolers then hit the trail. This setup will require heavy coils to keep it from squatting. It could ride nice if properly rated.
Then you get home and everyone unloads and you use it solo around the house to burn trash and it rides like a lumber wagon because you have no load/weight in it.

On the trail if you throw 3 big passengers guys in with a cooler and tools with recovery gear there is a chance you are running with 1000lbs on a trail.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rayger143 and Scoop
Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
I also added a Ranch Armor steel roof which weighs 200 pounds (Still at Dealer being built out). I am waiting on them to add the full skid plates from Ricochet, glass windshield, wiper, rear fabric panel, front bumper, winch, light bars, XTC turn signal kit, XTC power control system, front/rear speakers, light bars (all 4 sides on roof), lower light bar (rough country 50' led light kit and dual Led Cubes)
Have you added up all the weight for all your planned accessories? At first glance, you're going to be at darn near (if not more than) a quarter ton of additions!

S

Scrappapotamus

The Scrappapotamus
Lifetime Member
Nov 2, 2022
Midway KY
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R

4. Talon R LV
A Ranch Armor Roof, so don't go getting cheep on your suspension. I have Elka Stage 5 on my P1K5 and was pleased with the options with regards to ordering and tuning. I took mine to TO23 and ran the dawg s*** out of it with absolutely no bottoming, the ride is much better and if you understand what the adjustments do and track any adjustments with with regard to where you started, you're definitely going to have a Pioneer that handles and rides as well as possible. There are many compromises, but if you want the best, go Elka Stage 5. It will never be a Talon, but it will be amazing for what it is.

Last edited:
ODAMO

ODAMO

Oct 12, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I will subtract my two cents, I would like to discuss the amount of weight you can have in a 1000-6. It's not just 200lbs more. There is a TON more you can potentially hold. Keep in mind you not only could have 6 people in the thing, you also still have access to an entire bed that is not accessible with passengers in a 1000-5. The wheelbase is longer which places your loads in the center, rather than over the axles/shocks like the 1000-5. I also see you have a roof rack that can hold even more luggage.

I think it is totally acceptable to use 1000-5 shocks. I would strongly recommend you swap coils. You will most likely have to experiment with coil rates. Potentially do more than 1 swap if the ride quality is not up to your standards.

I will say if you use the 1000-5 shocks with swapped coils and document the journey well; there may be alot of folks on here who would appreciate the knowledge you could share.

I would not hesitate to try the swap if it were mine. I would strongly recommend weighing the machine after all mods are done. I think my 1000-5 was over 2000lbs.

Lastly
Keep in mind
The BIGGEST issue you may run into is how you use your machine.

An example
You heavy load it up with all your trail gear and friends with coolers then hit the trail. This setup will require heavy coils to keep it from squatting. It could ride nice if properly rated.
Then you get home and everyone unloads and you use it solo around the house to burn trash and it rides like a lumber wagon because you have no load/weight in it.

On the trail if you throw 3 big passengers guys in with a cooler and tools with recovery gear there is a chance you are running with 1000lbs on a trail.
Honda shoulda put shocks on that are readily adjustable front and rear on all pioneers.
The front factory shocks have no preload adj. and the rears are a totall pain to adj. regularly

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Perhaps, but if Honda did every "Honda should have" that people have suggested, the MSRP prices would be much higher, which could put them out of the price range of some potential buyers.

Not everybody uses thier SXS the same way, especially the Pioneer. It's a machine that isn't really targeted at one particular type of rider/user like a Honda Talon or a Kawi Mule is. So they leave plenty of adding on to the buyers.

Just my $0.02.

ODAMO

ODAMO

Oct 12, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Perhaps, but if Honda did every "Honda should have" that people have suggested, the MSRP prices would be much higher, which could put them out of the price range of some potential buyers.

Not everybody uses thier SXS the same way, especially the Pioneer. It's a machine that isn't really targeted at one particular type of rider/user like a Honda Talon or a Kawi Mule is. So they leave plenty of adding on to the buyers.

Just my $0.02.
True, But a boy can dream can't he.....

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
A Ranch Armor Roof, so don't go getting cheep on your suspension. I have Elka Stage 5 on my P1K5 and was pleased with the options with regards to ordering and tuning. I took mine to TO23 and ran the dawg s*** out of it with absolutely no bottoming, the ride is much better and if you understand what the adjustments do and track any adjustments with with regard to where you started, you're definitely going to have a Pioneer that handles and rides as well as possible. There are many compromises, but if you want the best, go Elka Stage 5. It will never be a Talon, but it will be amazing for what it is.
I didn't say that!

Reactions: Scrappapotamus
S

scafe007

Sep 6, 2023
Austin TX
Ownership

1. 1000 6 Crew
I reached out to Elka and here is what they told me

"The 1000-6 is a new model, I don`t have the exact time it will be in the office for the moment, I did take your name down and when it`s in we will let you know. This maybe more of a medium term project that could take a couple of months

1000-5 is a different vehicle, the new 1000-6 has a different frame."

Reactions: Rayger143
R

rutterbg

Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2023
Troy, OH
Ownership

1. 1000 6 Crew
Well, new here but ordered the front fox shocks for my 1000-6. Also ordered single rate springs. I went with 300lb springs for the front as it seems the 1000-5 liked 250lb springs. I will report back how it goes. If it goes well, then I will order the rear shocks as well and likely do 350-400lb springs. Wish me luck! Next will be the TTC 6" lift 🙂

Had a great first outing at Wildcat in KY!

20230924 190216

20230924 180151

R

rutterbg

Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2023
Troy, OH
Ownership

1. 1000 6 Crew
Got the 1000-5 fox shocks in as well as the 300lb single rate springs from Dave's. Pulled the stock shocks on the front and they're the same size! Has the springs swapped over and shocks installed in no time.

We are heading to Tecumseh Trails Off-road this weekend. I'll report back how the 300lb springs do. Hoping I picked the right weight, but worst case I'll jump up to 350-400lb. I'll definitely be ordering the rear shocks now too. Anyone know the cheapest place to get them? Part # 08Z71-HL4-F00.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Well, new here but ordered the front fox shocks for my 1000-6. Also ordered single rate springs. I went with 300lb springs for the front as it seems the 1000-5 liked 250lb springs. I will report back how it goes. If it goes well, then I will order the rear shocks as well and likely do 350-400lb springs. Wish me luck! Next will be the TTC 6" lift 🙂

Had a great first outing at Wildcat in KY!

View attachment 404570

View attachment 404571
Welcome from Michigan.
Hell of an Intro and pics from a distance but never the less a pic.
Prob ought to do an intro thread to please the masses anyway.
Got the 1000-5 fox shocks in as well as the 300lb single rate springs from Dave's. Pulled the stock shocks on the front and they're the same size!
Got some pics of this for the other P6’s?
Pics are kind of a big deal on here when we describe things. We are imagination deficient. 🤣

R

rutterbg

Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2023
Troy, OH
Ownership

1. 1000 6 Crew
Welcome from Michigan.
Hell of an Intro and pics from a distance but never the less a pic.
Prob ought to do an intro thread to please the masses anyway.

Got some pics of this for the other P6’s?
Pics are kind of a big deal on here when we describe things. We are imagination deficient. 🤣

I will be working on putting a thread together for this, just wanted to get the ball rolling first! A proper intro will be coming along shortly as well. First priority was to get the P6 riding better so I could start sharing my journey without getting banged around!

From all my reading and research, it appears the fox shocks are all identical between the p3, p5, and p6, with the only difference being spring rates. I just snagged a left rear fox shock assembly new for $200 (P3)! Now just to find a pesky right rear assembly for a good deal!

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I will be working on putting a thread together for this, just wanted to get the ball rolling first! A proper intro will be coming along shortly as well. First priority was to get the P6 riding better so I could start sharing my journey without getting banged around!

From all my reading and research, it appears the fox shocks are all identical between the p3, p5, and p6, with the only difference being spring rates. I just snagged a left rear fox shock assembly new for $200 (P3)! Now just to find a pesky right rear assembly for a good deal!

Someone may need to correct me but I think the rear shocks side to side are the same. The reservoir just changes sides. I think either rear technically works on either side. The reservoirs just might face differently and you might find someone picky enough to notice.

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Someone may need to correct me but I think the rear shocks side to side are the same. The reservoir just changes sides. I think either rear technically works on either side. The reservoirs just might face differently and you might find someone picky enough to notice.
If the rears are swapped, the reservoirs will smash your brake lines and damage them. I'm sure if you rode long enough that way, it would also damage the reservoirs. I had my on the wrong side and someone on here pointed it out in a picture I posted. Sure enough both brake lines were damaged and I replaced them. Probably had 2 rides on them. I got lucky.

Rayger143

Rayger143

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 5, 2020
Winfield, BC Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If the rears are swapped, the reservoirs will smash your brake lines and damage them. I'm sure if you rode long enough that way, it would also damage the reservoirs. I had my on the wrong side and someone on here pointed it out in a picture I posted. Sure enough both brake lines were damaged and I replaced them. Probably had 2 rides on them. I got lucky.
Yep. I did the same thing.

S

scafe007

Sep 6, 2023
Austin TX
Ownership

1. 1000 6 Crew
Thanks for everyone’s input.

I ended up going with the Fox 2.0 Qs3. It rides like a cloud. I did confirm the it is just the stiffer spring in the rear is the main difference but for my use nothing I really need to mess with. I can swap out springs and have reached out to Shock Therapy.

I am waiting on Texas Tough Customs 6 inch long travel kit which wont be ready for almost 2 months and will share that later.

IMG 3808 IMG 3803 IMG 3805 IMG 3806 IMG 3809

R

rutterbg

Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2023
Troy, OH
Ownership

1. 1000 6 Crew
Thanks for everyone’s input.

I ended up going with the Fox 2.0 Qs3. It rides like a cloud. I did confirm the it is just the stiffer spring in the rear is the main difference but for my use nothing I really need to mess with. I can swap out springs and have reached out to Shock Therapy.

I am waiting on Texas Tough Customs 6 inch long travel kit which wont be ready for almost 2 months and will share that later.

View attachment 406060 View attachment 406061 View attachment 406062 View attachment 406063 View attachment 406064

Hard to tell from the pictures, but I think your rear shocks are on the wrong sides. Very important to fix it or you will damage your brake lines/a arms.

The reservoirs should be pointing towards the front of the SxS, not the rear. Just need to swap the shocks and you'll be good!

I'm getting the rears ordered for mine too!!!

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!