BOX1

P1000 P1000 front alignment

M

Marine660

Club Contributor
Dec 12, 2015
I was able to fix my steering wheel. When the dealer recives the unit the wheel is not installed and is a simple nut under the center cap. Remove this nut and the steering whee. Can be slid off the shaft and reinstalled at the correct position. It took me 5 minutes.

My steering wheel is crooked too. The top is at 10 o clock when driving straight.

H

HogHunter

Dec 25, 2015
Wow! Honda needs to really get there s*** together! If I receive my new machine with front end out of alignment I will have to tell them to just keep the dam thing and I will just go without a sxs until I when the lottery and show them how to build a quality sxs people would be proud to buy. I expect small issues due to it being totally new, but front end alignment should be spot on before it leaves the factory. That's just workers at Honda not doing there job just like if there is loose nuts and bolts and just like the doors not being adjusted. When you buy something new you have expectations. I bought a new Polaris ranger last year and when I got it home it dam near burned up the engine because they didn't have the electric fan plugged in from the factory. You would think they would have a check list that they double check on each unit. Like right before they create them up have someone check all the important s***. That's the easiest part HONDA! Check your s*** before you sale it to hard working Americans that deserve quality craftsmanship that they pay dearly for!!!! Rant over!
I noticed the right tire on mine pointing out but when I took it to the dealer the mechanic said that if you stand further back it is correct and that the closer you get it looks off he said Honda had stated that the front end looks out up close but its not as I got further back it does look correct.

cwalton

cwalton

Who has more fun!
Lifetime Member
Mar 21, 2016
West Virginia
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Does anyone with the service manual know what the toe in/out needs to be? I am noticing slight tire wear with 250 miles.

Stauvo

Stauvo

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 25, 2015
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Too much toe out will also be proven if you shut the machine off on a quiet day, put in neutral and roll it across the cement. You will hear the tires binding against the concrete and also see scuff marks on the tire knobs.

cwalton

cwalton

Who has more fun!
Lifetime Member
Mar 21, 2016
West Virginia
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I have about 1/4 inch toe out measured on the front rim edge compared to the back rim edge. Just wondering what the manual states.

N

Null

Jan 18, 2016
Mine has 167 miles on it and has serious wear on the left front tire. When the left tire is straight the right side was toed out quite a bit. adjusted it today and seems fine other that a tire with bad cupping. Never had this with any other buggy this new. Not too excited about it.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Does anyone with the service manual know what the toe in/out needs to be? I am noticing slight tire wear with 250 miles.
They are easy to adjust. I go 3/16 wider in the back to allow tired to "straighten them selves" or push back at speed. We now have 1700 on ours and the tires still look pretty good considering

Last edited:
Reactions: Someguy and Stauvo
Stauvo

Stauvo

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 25, 2015
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
They are easy to adjust. I go 3/16 wider in the back to allow tired to "straighten them selves" at speed. We now have 1700 on ours and the tires still look pretty good considering
Hi CumminsPusher,
How do you be sure with yourself that you have both wheels straight forward and parallel before setting the 3/16 measurement? This is the area that intimidates me.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Hi CumminsPusher,
How do you be sure with yourself that you have both wheels straight forward and parallel before setting the 3/16 measurement? This is the area that intimidates me.
most of the time we do this up in the woods so this may sound crude "because we don't park it in a warm garage with air tools or have Honda do it) but first loosen both steering control arms thes set set steering wheel straight. I prefer to do this on the ground as the rig is sitting correctly. Take a straight edge(2x4 angle iron ect) longer is better set against rear tire on the ground but make sure it looks even as you look down at the rear tire then set another straight edge against front tire the exact same way and eyeball to the rear straight edge move front in/out to match leave loose repeat on opposite side get them pretty close. Measure across front insides of tire and same on the rear making sure the point you're measuring from is the same on bot sides I generally don't use the tread I'll use the flat part of the tire. Back should be 3/16 wider but both tires were close to straight so split that between both tires. One turn is huge go slow. Tighten go for a ride ill feel great but come back in set 2x4s again have someone check the front while you find exact center make sure steering wheel is back straight and the front 2x4s look a little wide in back tires look good and check again for wider gap in rear as long as it's very close to 3/16 it's good:). Also works on trucks. The next time you do it will be fast. We have to do this at least once a month. Any rig even new we will do this kind of alignment to. Factory is crap I think they do it on purpose. I'd check alignment every 200 or so and any time steering isn't straight ( unless it's a dirt road machine) it's super easy and tire life can be 3 times(especially since you can't rotate tire because of the offsets) I'll even do the rears occasionally but that's a pain in the ass. I would honestly check the front and every couple maybe 300 miles at least more if you ride on more then just dirt roads and always do it on a new machine tires are really expensive you can get double life easy and factory settings are crap always even if it feels good. Hope this helps good luck

Last edited:
Stauvo

Stauvo

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 25, 2015
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
most of the time we do this up in the woods so this may sound crude "because we don't park it in a warm garage with air tools or have Honda do it) but first loosen both steering control arms thes set set steering wheel straight. I prefer to do this on the ground as the rig is sitting correctly. Take a straight edge(2x4 angle iron ect) longer is better set against rear tire on the ground but make sure it looks even as you look down at the rear tire then set another straight edge against front tire the exact same way and eyeball to the rear straight edge move front in/out to match leave loose repeat on opposite side get them pretty close. Measure across front insides of tire and same on the rear making sure the point you're measuring from is the same on bot sides I generally don't use the tread I'll use the flat part of the tire. Back should be 3/16 wider but both tires were close to straight so split that between both tires. One turn is huge go slow. Tighten go for a ride ill feel great but come back in set 2x4s again have someone check the front while you find exact center make sure steering wheel is back straight and the front 2x4s look a little wide in back tires look good and check again for wider gap in rear as long as it's very close to 3/16 it's good:). Also works on trucks. The next time you do it will be fast. We have to do this at least once a month. Any rig even new we will do this kind of alignment to. Factory is crap I think they do it on purpose. I'd check alignment every 200 or so and any time steering isn't straight ( unless it's a dirt road machine) it's super easy and tire life can be 3 times(especially since you can't rotate tire because of the offsets) I'll even do the rears occasionally but that's a pain in the ass. I would honestly check the front and every couple maybe 300 miles at least more if you ride on more then just dirt roads and always do it on a new machine tires are really expensive you can get double life easy and factory settings are crap always even if it feels good. Hope this helps good luck

Awesome! I will print this for reference.

Thanks!

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Awesome! I will print this for reference.

Thanks!
You won't need it a second time. Once it's done the first time it's easier than it sounds. After doing it a couple times you won't need the 2 x 4's:)

pct

pct

Lost in the hills
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 10, 2016
Letart WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have had several sxs none of them was aligned I got mine aligned on a regular alignment machine I set my toe in 1/8 just like the ohters and it drives like a car

Reactions: dotman1 and Stauvo
Stauvo

Stauvo

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 25, 2015
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have had several sxs none of them was aligned I got mine aligned on a regular alignment machine I set my toe in 1/8 just like the ohters and it drives like a car
Yes when I picked mine up last week i asked if they aligned and he said yep its a quarte inch out in front. I said that too far for me. He said it provided a saftey buffer. I said it will drive through corners lazy and feel and unsecure. They just dodge having to align them properly and yes mine is lazy like i predicted.

Reactions: JTW
Hudge

Hudge

Feb 15, 2016
Farmington N.M.
Mine is toed out on passenger side 300miles and noticed tire scuffed off also my steering wheel was out I fixed I will set toe asap

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Seems like you would pull a center line and adjust from there, just like you would do a trailer?

DRAGFOOT

DRAGFOOT

Lifetime Member
Mar 16, 2016
MINNESOTA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
The manual states 3/16"toe IN.

Image jpeg18013

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
3/16 is what I shoot for. It's crazy it gives you almost a half inch of error! I'd disregard that statement

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stauvo

Stauvo

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 25, 2015
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Im in the ball park too. It made such a difference on my front tire wear and steering confidence.

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
3/16 is what I shoot for. It's crazy it gives you almost a half inch of error! I'd disregard that statement

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the large tolerance is on the basis of a significant change between static and dynamic toe. I'm somewhat surprised that Honda suggests setting the toe empty rather than at normal riding payload. These machines have a tendency to toe in under suspension load so a neutral toe or toe out setting would reduce over steer a bit if you're riding aggressively

Windrock1000

Windrock1000

Move out of the way! I'm lost?
Lifetime Member
Jun 26, 2016
Windrock, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I think the large tolerance is on the basis of a significant change between static and dynamic toe. I'm somewhat surprised that Honda suggests setting the toe empty rather than at normal riding payload. These machines have a tendency to toe in under suspension load so a neutral toe or toe out setting would reduce over steer a bit if you're riding aggressively

Agreed. I set mind up neutral and it tracks very well.

Reactions: JTW
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!