P1000 P1000 Redux

MontanaBighorn

MontanaBighorn

May 9, 2016
Billings, MT
CarryGuide.com
So I went down to my local Honda dealership to look at the Talon to consider buying one, and since I just cant see any practical use for it what-so-ever around the ranch (no dump bed), I couldn't help but be drawn back to the Pioneer.
Back in 2015/2016 I bought a new Pioneer 1000-5 Deluxe but I sold it about six months later and took a pretty fair beating on it. My primary reason for selling was that it would scald my back to ride it. The heat coming up from the seat actually blistered me a time or two and my family wouldn't even ride in the front for the same reason and the back seats aren't very comfortable at all. I had other criticisms, but they may have been magnified by my dissatisfaction with it burning my back.
So my first question, has this heating issue been corrected, yet? How about the water trap in the intake issue?
Secondly, in some documentation I've seen that some Pioneer models are coming out with the i4WD system taken from the Talon. If so, this is a deal-breaker. I want a real, actual locker so that I can decide when I want my front end locked. Do all come with the i4WD, or just the limited models?
I expect this time around, if I do buy another, I'll get the three seat version instead of the five. The back seats were pretty useless for me the last time around anyway.
Thanks,

Tigermark

Tigermark

Outside looking in.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
So I went down to my local Honda dealership to look at the Talon to consider buying one, and since I just cant see any practical use for it what-so-ever around the ranch (no dump bed), I couldn't help but be drawn back to the Pioneer.
Back in 2015/2016 I bought a new Pioneer 1000-5 Deluxe but I sold it about six months later and took a pretty fair beating on it. My primary reason for selling was that it would scald my back to ride it. The heat coming up from the seat actually blistered me a time or two and my family wouldn't even ride in the front for the same reason and the back seats aren't very comfortable at all. I had other criticisms, but they may have been magnified by my dissatisfaction with it burning my back.
So my first question, has this heating issue been corrected, yet? How about the water trap in the intake issue?
Secondly, in some documentation I've seen that some Pioneer models are coming out with the i4WD system taken from the Talon. If so, this is a deal-breaker. I want a real, actual locker so that I can decide when I want my front end locked. Do all come with the i4WD, or just the limited models?
I expect this time around, if I do buy another, I'll get the three seat version instead of the five. The back seats were pretty useless for me the last time around anyway.
Thanks,
The heat issue is manageable now on the new models. Honda has a program to retrofit the older models with additional heat shielding. The intake under the hood was also resigned to help eliminate the water intrusion issue. The i4wd system was introduced in the LE model prior to the release of the Talon. The base and Deluxe models still have the manual diff lock.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Thanks,
First Honda hasn't fixed the heat issue but around $ 70.00 it can be cured and still have the heat for the winter, all it takes is a 10 inch fan, 3 HD zip ties a little wire and a switch mounted on the dash, the fan under the seat blowing across the headers out the back. I kept my mouth shut when the I4WD system came out and waited to see how they fared on group rides, they do quiet well, went every where I went. I have road some gnarly trails and came out on a road to junction to another trail, would stop to put it in turf mode, only to find out ,I had just rode the trail in turf mode. Long term I don't have a clue! Billings Montana is beautiful! Spent a week there in a cabin on the Yellowstone several years ago, rivers were blown out so the fishing wasn't good, live and learn. I agree on the 3 seater, the 5 is good for small children in the back or short rides for grown ups. Bear Tooth Pass was a blast! We have mountains in NW Arkansas, but nothing like that! I thought the East side of Yellowstone park was better than the West!

H

hemifoot

First Honda hasn't fixed the heat issue but around $ 70.00 it can be cured and still have the heat for the winter, all it takes is a 10 inch fan, 3 HD zip ties a little wire and a switch mounted on the dash, the fan under the seat blowing across the headers out the back. I kept my mouth shut when the I4WD system came out and waited to see how they fared on group rides, they do quiet well, went every where I went. I have road some gnarly trails and came out on a road to junction to another trail, would stop to put it in turf mode, only to find out ,I had just rode the trail in turf mode. Long term I don't have a clue! Billings Montana is beautiful! Spent a week there in a cabin on the Yellowstone several years ago, rivers were blown out so the fishing wasn't good, live and learn. I agree on the 3 seater, the 5 is good for small children in the back or short rides for grown ups. Bear Tooth Pass was a blast! We have mountains in NW Arkansas, but nothing like that! I thought the East side of Yellowstone park was better than the West!
i don't seem to be having any heat issues in my '19 p1k-d deluxe.i ride it like i stole it.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
H

hemifoot

Guess not, you live on the North Pole! HA!
lets not go with the ignorance that canadians live in igloos nonsense.it's a hell of alot colder in the midwest/eastern us than it is in bc. the pacific northwest has the same weather as i do.should someone from arkansas really disparage others? (disparage means belittle) ,and the north pole isn't in canada.i could say that geography was taught after the 3rd grade but that would be mean.i'm canadian,i'm supposed play nice and be polite.i almost forgot,HA HA!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: popeye
J

JTW

Maybe put on some Justin Bieber and have you self a nice tall glass of bag milk.

RB3offroad

RB3offroad

Vendor
Nov 2, 2017
Tempe, AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks,
Honda has updated the Honda Pioneer with a heat shield and there is other after market stuff if its still warm. I notices since we had the updated heat shield its a lot better. it also depends on your set up full windshield no windshield etc.... But we love our Honda Pioneer 1000

Reactions: JTW
Redmoon

Redmoon

Feb 21, 2019
Prescott Az.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
lets not go with the ignorance that canadians live in igloos nonsense.it's a hell of alot colder in the midwest/eastern us than it is in bc. the pacific northwest has the same weather as i do.should someone from arkansas really disparage others? (disparage means belittle) ,and the north pole isn't in canada.i could say that geography was taught after the 3rd grade but that would be mean.i'm canadian,i'm supposed play nice and be polite.i almost forgot,HA HA!

He meant that in jest. Smitty is a good guy and the first to help members if he can. definitely not a D bag.

G

graybear

Nov 20, 2013
East Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I only have 500 miles on my new P1000 and have been riding it in mid 90 temps. I only feel slight warmth in the seat area and only when I am driving real slow.. Not unpleasant in my mind but I did add a sheep skin cover on the seat just in case.

dpnorth

dpnorth

North adventures south
Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
Crawfordville FL
www.youtube.com
Ownership

1. 500

2. Other Brand

3. Talon X
im considering a p1k5 as well. i saw a DT youtube walk-around of a 2020 3-seat LE. Luke said it was an LE, but i didnt see fox shocks on it, so maybe it was a deluxe. I was hoping one of you new buyers could chime in and answer some questions for me on the lines.

Can you shift w/ paddles in auto-mode on all years of p1k5?
Do all the p1k5 trims come with EPS?

ill def go used, or an older left-over model 18-19. just curious if there is a compelling reason not to. I was thinking base trim if it comes w/ EPS--and ill add fox qs3's for 1400ish later on.

thoughts?

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
im considering a p1k5 as well. i saw a DT youtube walk-around of a 2020 3-seat LE. Luke said it was an LE, but i didnt see fox shocks on it, so maybe it was a deluxe. I was hoping one of you new buyers could chime in and answer some questions for me on the lines.

Can you shift w/ paddles in auto-mode on all years of p1k5?
Do all the p1k5 trims come with EPS?

ill def go used, or an older left-over model 18-19. just curious if there is a compelling reason not to. I was thinking base trim if it comes w/ EPS--and ill add fox qs3's for 1400ish later on.

thoughts?
All the p1k5s have EPS and can paddle shift. I would buy a base model and add fox shocks. That's what I did and I love how it rides now. Myself I would want an 2018 or newer just so I know I'm not dealing with any of those clutch issues.

Reactions: CumminsPusher

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!