BOX1

P1000 P1000 Transport w/ Front End Lifted

E

Ernge

Sep 15, 2019
Upstate SC
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I recently purchased a 2019 Pioneer 1000, primarily for utility purposes while preparing a piece of property we'll be building a house on in a few years. My Wife calls it my "very expensive wheel barrow." I'm planning to build a rig that will allow me to load it on the trailer from the side, but that will require the front wheels to be elevated in the neighborhood of 60". I'm not concerned about the securement of the machine once it's there, or how to get it up there - got that all covered.

What I *DO* need to know, is whether the oiling system will tolerate being started after sitting at that angle for an extended period, or do I need to build in provisions that will allow me to always roll it down to level ground before starting? I'll admit to having done *zero* research on the topic - this seemed like a reasonable way to introduce myself and get an answer, quickly.

Anyone?

VaHillbilly

VaHillbilly

NTC immigrant gardner
Supporting Member
Nov 16, 2018
Sw VA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I recently purchased a 2019 Pioneer 1000, primarily for utility purposes while preparing a piece of property we'll be building a house on in a few years. My Wife calls it my "very expensive wheel barrow." I'm planning to build a rig that will allow me to load it on the trailer from the side, but that will require the front wheels to be elevated in the neighborhood of 60". I'm not concerned about the securement of the machine once it's there, or how to get it up there - got that all covered.

What I *DO* need to know, is whether the oiling system will tolerate being started after sitting at that angle for an extended period, or do I need to build in provisions that will allow me to always roll it down to level ground before starting? I'll admit to having done *zero* research on the topic - this seemed like a reasonable way to introduce myself and get an answer, quickly.

Anyone?
Welcome from va. I'm not sure about that myself, but I'm sure by the end of day you will have some answers from some very knowledgeable people in here. Enjoy the wheelbarrow! Got any pics?

Reactions: Mudwing and TripleB
E

Ernge

Sep 15, 2019
Upstate SC
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Enjoy the wheelbarrow! Got any pics?

IMG 1850 L IMG 1871 L

D

DDDonkey

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 29, 2017
AZ
Having the front end up 5' in the air from an extend period of time will be hard on the machine, not just the oil but the transmission until it is strapped down. I would use a winch to pull the machine up/down such an incline and make sure it is very secured when strapping down, or get a bigger trailer.

Post some pic of it loaded

Reactions: VaHillbilly
E

Ernge

Sep 15, 2019
Upstate SC
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Having the front end up 5' in the air from an extend period of time will be hard on the machine, not just the oil but the transmission until it is strapped down. I would use a winch to pull the machine up/down such an incline and make sure it is very secured when strapping down, or get a bigger trailer.

Post some pic of it loaded

Are you basing that suggestion on some fact? If so, please cite those facts. As I said, I'm primarily looking for input from someone who's familiar with the oiling system on this engine. A dry sump system wouldn't likely be affected significantly. A wet sump, like in a typical car, obviously wouldn't tolerate this very well.

The size of the trailer isn't the issue - see picture - it's a 28' trailer. The objective is to arrange the load so that the Pioneer can be unloaded without having to unload building materials, etc. first.

aauman88

aauman88

Supporting Member
Feb 19, 2019
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have no idea about your main question but I am curious to how you will be loading it from the side. I need to transport two Pioneer 1000’s occasionally and am looking at best trailer options but given they are 10’ long I figured it was too wide to load from side. Sure some technical guys will chime in about the oil setup. Nice trailer and Pioneer

E

Ernge

Sep 15, 2019
Upstate SC
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I have no idea about your main question but I am curious to how you will be loading it from the side. I need to transport two Pioneer 1000’s occasionally and am looking at best trailer options but given they are 10’ long I figured it was too wide to load from side. Sure some technical guys will chime in about the oil setup. Nice trailer and Pioneer

The 10' is exactly the reason for the lifted front end - the only way to shorten that length is to raise one end enough to shorten the footprint.

As to how I'm going to do it, it's going to be a fairly elaborate fabrication, and I can't claim to have ironed out all the details yet. It will involve a steel ramp with "pockets" at the top for the front wheels, so that the transmission won't be holding the entire load against a park-detent, before I can get it strapped into place. I haven't yet decided whether I'll also build the two ramps to reach the edge of the trailer as part of this assembly, or simply use some ramps that are commercially available - likely the former.

An astute observer would note, and this may or may not be relevant in your case, that this wouldn't work with a -5 model. The upper rear roll cage would cause the machine to continue to get "longer" way beyond the height I'm considering.

aauman88

aauman88

Supporting Member
Feb 19, 2019
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The 10' is exactly the reason for the lifted front end - the only way to shorten that length is to raise one end enough to shorten the footprint.

As to how I'm going to do it, it's going to be a fairly elaborate fabrication, and I can't claim to have ironed out all the details yet. It will involve a steel ramp with "pockets" at the top for the front wheels, so that the transmission won't be holding the entire load against a park-detent, before I can get it strapped into place. I haven't yet decided whether I'll also build the two ramps to reach the edge of the trailer as part of this assembly, or simply use some ramps that are commercially available - likely the former.

An astute observer would note, and this may or may not be relevant in your case, that this wouldn't work with a -5 model. The upper rear roll cage would cause the machine to continue to get "longer" way beyond the height I'm considering.

Gotcha, thanks for the explanation. Should be a fun project and there’s a few people I’ve seen build a similar setup to fit the 1000 in the back of a truck with front elevated over cab. If I can find one of those threads I will let you know.

Totally didn’t think about yours being a 1000-3 where mine are 1000-5’s

M

Montana

Oct 29, 2015
Gotcha, thanks for the explanation. Should be a fun project and there’s a few people I’ve seen build a similar setup to fit the 1000 in the back of a truck with front elevated over cab. If I can find one of those threads I will let you know.

Totally didn’t think about yours being a 1000-3 where mine are 1000-5’s

aauman88

aauman88

Supporting Member
Feb 19, 2019
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well only one I can find is for 700 but same concept. Maybe they will chime in

@Gorms

A8632F6D 5F11 42BA 9289 D6DECCEF36BD

E

Ernge

Sep 15, 2019
Upstate SC
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Well only one I can find is for 700 but same concept.
@Gorms

I've seen those - handy, though the rears of a 1,000 would have to sit atop the bed rails - track width is just a hair too wide to fit in the bed. I've also seen multiples loaded on a GN trailer like mine, with the front end of the one in front up on the 'neck. In that case, though, there's little doubt they just let the machine roll back to level before starting. In the scenario I'm studying, rolling back without cranking first introduces a few problems I'd rather avoid, if I can do so without damaging the machine.

P

Poppa

Aug 30, 2018
Greenwell Springs, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Have you given any thought to attaching another trailer to the back of the dovetail trailer. I don’t know if hauling double trailers is legal in SC., but in La. we see it all of the time. A lot of people haul their golf carts behind their 5th wheel campers. Seems to me, this would allow more materials to be carried and make loading and unloading of your SxS much less complicated.

E

Ernge

Sep 15, 2019
Upstate SC
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Have you given any thought to attaching another trailer to the back of the dovetail trailer. I don’t know if hauling double trailers is legal in SC., but in La. we see it all of the time. A lot of people haul their golf carts behind their 5th wheel campers. Seems to me, this would allow more materials to be carried and make loading and unloading of your SxS much less complicated.

The legality of it is a little gray everywhere I've ever looked into it, but I've hauled a second trailer behind that GN all over half the country, including SC (obviously), and never had the first word said to me about it by LEO. It definitely does complicate any/all parking maneuvers - there's NO backing up, and THAT is the deal-breaker. Running cross-country is one thing, but making every-weekend-there-and-back trips to work on a piece of property, nearly all including a stop or two for food, and Home Depot, etc, and not being able to back up?..? I'm not gonna put myself in that position.

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
It may be worth looking into a "wide load" sign. I used to haul dozers for a guy and a sign was all that was required in some instances of over width....

Your true nose to tail is about 9 1/2 ft and I think the legal width is 8 1/2 ft. That puts you 6" extra on each side. I'm not going to spend my time looking it up bit of I were you I'd check into it. It may save you a lot of hassle on your trips and be able to load/unload much easier.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

E

Ernge

Sep 15, 2019
Upstate SC
Ownership

1. 1000-3
It may be worth looking into a "wide load" sign. I used to haul dozers for a guy and a sign was all that was required in some instances of over width....

Your true nose to tail is about 9 1/2 ft and I think the legal width is 8 1/2 ft. That puts you 6" extra on each side. I'm not going to spend my time looking it up bit of I were you I'd check into it. It may save you a lot of hassle on your trips and be able to load/unload much easier.

I run a construction business, so we've got Oversized Loads on the road nearly every day. The truth is, even this is a gray area - because whatever I haul on that trailer is private, *technically*, I'm not DOT-regulated with respect to weights, etc. It has to be safe, but that's about where the rules end. I don't have much doubt I could fly that way and never hear a word, any more than I do when pulling doubles.

Y'all are taking all the fun out of this, though. I'm trying to justify an epic fabrication project, and y'all are trying to take the wind out of my sails. Should've just kept it to myself, I guess..

D

DDDonkey

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 29, 2017
AZ
Are you basing that suggestion on some fact? If so, please cite those facts. As I said, I'm primarily looking for input from someone who's familiar with the oiling system on this engine. A dry sump system wouldn't likely be affected significantly. A wet sump, like in a typical car, obviously wouldn't tolerate this very well.

The size of the trailer isn't the issue - see picture - it's a 28' trailer. The objective is to arrange the load so that the Pioneer can be unloaded without having to unload building materials, etc. first.

Ok I see what your saying here with the trailer I miss read it earlier, as for the oil I am not 100 percent sure on that question. For the transmission I would be worried about damage when putting it into park and it holding the unit at that angle for prolonged periods of time. That is why I suggested a winch to pull it up, the other option is something like a hillbilly parking brake to help hope the unit until it is strapped down.

Good luck and I look forward to see what you come up with.

E

Ernge

Sep 15, 2019
Upstate SC
Ownership

1. 1000-3
For the transmission I would be worried about damage when putting it into park and it holding the unit at that angle for prolonged periods of time. That is why I suggested a winch to pull it up, the other option is something like a hillbilly parking brake to help hope the unit until it is strapped down.

See Post #8 - the ramp rig will have a "pocket" of sorts, that the front wheel will "fall into," such that the rig could actually be left there in Neutral. I can't swear to it 'til I've actually built it, but for precisely the reasons you cite, I may well leave it in Neutral while I tie it down, and only 'Park' it once that's done. In theory, at that point, there would not only be no load on the transmission, but no potential for any load to be applied to the transmission - the straps would function much like a mechanical parking brake on a car.

The only downside I imagine (thus far, anyway) to the "pockets," is that the rig then has to climb out of them to unload. Therein lies most of the reason for my wanting to confirm it's safe to crank the machine after prolonged rest at this angle. If I can't drive it out of those pockets, I'd have to pull it out, requiring a trialer-side-mounted winch, or some other Rube-Goldberg-esque contraption. I'd like to avoid that. This thing's gonna be complicated enough as it is.

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I run a construction business, so we've got Oversized Loads on the road nearly every day. The truth is, even this is a gray area - because whatever I haul on that trailer is private, *technically*, I'm not DOT-regulated with respect to weights, etc. It has to be safe, but that's about where the rules end. I don't have much doubt I could fly that way and never hear a word, any more than I do when pulling doubles.

Y'all are taking all the fun out of this, though. I'm trying to justify an epic fabrication project, and y'all are trying to take the wind out of my sails. Should've just kept it to myself, I guess..

Oh yes you're right. It's a fantastic idea and you should build it. Then come back and tell us all about your self aggrandizing experiment and all its glory. Complete with pictures and stories from the road. It will be so awesome!

E

Ernge

Sep 15, 2019
Upstate SC
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Then come back and tell us all about your self aggrandizing experiment and all its glory.Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Self aggrandizing? Wtf? Do you even know what that means?! I think not. There's nothing self aggrandizing about this. I came here with a question, and others have responded with thoughtful comments, genuinely considering what I've suggested. I tried to inject some levity (look it up) into the discussion, and you went all middle school smartass. You need a therapist...and some Depends undergarments.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!