P1000 P1000 Transport w/ Front End Lifted

J

JTW

So.. There is an engine stop for steep angles. It won’t start when it’s there. Found it a time or two when it’s been laid on it’s side. But I’ve never tried it when it was nose up. As for being able to do it.. sure. Might give it a second for the oil to settle after hauling but it should work. As far as it being a good idea or not.. mehhh. Prolly wouldn’t be the solution I’d go with, but I’ve had mine suspended in my shop for several days working on the skid plate.
4F2803EB 4FD5 4F91 9C0A 2D2C24530F52

E

Ernge

Sep 15, 2019
Upstate SC
Ownership

1. 1000-3
So.. There is an engine stop for steep angles. It won’t start when it’s there.

Any idea what that angle is?

Yeah, I saw your skidplate project. That's good stuff. I was considering the Trail Armour stuff, but I'm not sure I dig the "self-tapping screw" part. I generally object to anything self-tapping, and that seems like a particularly inappropriate use of it (despite several glowing reviews). I'd have to investigate further before I pulled that trigger, but now that I see yours, I think maybe DIY is the way..

Last edited:
Reactions: VaHillbilly
J

JTW

Any idea what that angle is?

Yeah, I saw your skidplate project. That's good stuff. I was considering the Road Armour stuff, but I'm not sure I dig the "self-tapping screw" part. I generally object to anything self-tapping, and that seems like a particularly inappropriate use of it (despite several glowing reviews). I'd have to investigate further before I pulled that trigger, but now that I see yours, I think maybe DIY is the way..
Thanks.. yeah, I’ve been pretty pleased with it. I need to pull the nutcerts and do my weldables.

So, as for angle. I’m going to say 45 or less when it’s on it’s side.

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Self aggrandizing? Wtf? Do you even know what that means?! I think not. There's nothing self aggrandizing about this. I came here with a question, and others have responded with thoughtful comments, genuinely considering what I've suggested. I tried to inject some levity (look it up) into the discussion, and you went all middle school smartass. You need a therapist...and some Depends undergarments.

Lol boy that struck a nerve eh? I guess you didn't appreciate my "levity". You clearly didn't like any reasonable and rational approach and were only interested in those that support "your epic fabrication project". So sad. You're obviously offended to be noted as self aggrandizing and are so confused you cant imagine someone knows what it means.

I have a therapist but cant seem to get my problems solved. Maybe shes just after my money. However, I dont see how depends are going to help my problems any. Well except for last week I had the shyts for 3 days. They probably wouldve come in handy then.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: TripleB and JTW
Gorms

Gorms

Mar 23, 2019
Mass
Ownership

1. 700-4
How about a hydraulic tipping lift, like an old dump bed frame turned sideways. Drive on flat, secure, and up up away....

My setup is nowhere as steep as you are mentioning, still almost 4' of elevation and it puckered me up the first few times loading up. Now it's no sweat. I usually dont start it up to unload either.

Lots of people didn't think what I did was a good idea but it works, and didn't cost me jack because i had most the materials.

E

Ernge

Sep 15, 2019
Upstate SC
Ownership

1. 1000-3
How about a hydraulic tipping lift, like an old dump bed frame turned sideways. Drive on flat, secure, and up up away....

My setup is nowhere as steep as you are mentioning, still almost 4' of elevation and it puckered me up the first few times loading up. Now it's no sweat. I usually dont start it up to unload either.

Lots of people didn't think what I did was a good idea but it works, and didn't cost me jack because i had most the materials.

That's a GREAT idea! I've got a Honda generator that lives on that trailer, too. I'll see if I can find a 110v hydraulic pump, piston, etc., and see what I can put together..

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Reactions: JTW
E

Ernge

Sep 15, 2019
Upstate SC
Ownership

1. 1000-3
That particular rig wouldn't solve my problem, but it's definitely cool. I would like to know how the hydraulics are set up on that one, though. I think Gorms' idea is the winner, just have to sort out how to set it up. As usual, I've got 47 other projects underway, too, so there's no tellin' when I'll actually get around to this.

BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Deep in the heart of Dixie, Kentwood, La.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I run a construction business, so we've got Oversized Loads on the road nearly every day. The truth is, even this is a gray area - because whatever I haul on that trailer is private, *technically*, I'm not DOT-regulated with respect to weights, etc. It has to be safe, but that's about where the rules end. I don't have much doubt I could fly that way and never hear a word, any more than I do when pulling doubles.

Y'all are taking all the fun out of this, though. I'm trying to justify an epic fabrication project, and y'all are trying to take the wind out of my sails. Should've just kept it to myself, I guess..
In most states ANYTHING over width requires a permit in order to be legal.

If you really want an EPIC project do this if you have engineering skills. Instead of building it raised, build it FLAT. Then rig it with hydraulics , to raise one end up high enough to make it the same width as your trailer. You will not need to worry about any oil problems or starting it in elevated position ...... lol

S

SlowPony46

Jul 26, 2019
IL
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
With it tipped up that far a huge portion of the weight is going to be shifted onto the rear wheels, which will distribute the weight very unevenly on the trailer and I imagine make it harder to safely secure. That’d be my concern. With the dry sump I imagine the oil would be fine, though I’m not speaking from experience on that.

Personally I would just load the Honda on the back of the trailer. It’s really quick to unload so you can get to your materials, plus materials can be loaded from the side easier than a UTV. As long as the trailer would balance ok with all the weight in the back like that.

Or, since trailer size isn’t the concern only loading order is, if you really want to build something cool and have it more ideal, build a rig similar to that video posted above but sideways. So you drive your Honda onto it parallel to the trailer and it picks the unit up and slides in, keeping the Honda flat and forward facing but allowing it to be unloaded at any time. Sure it’d be complex, it it’d be way more of an epic fab project and more impressive than your side ramp idea.

aauman88

aauman88

Supporting Member
Feb 19, 2019
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Why not build ramp up from side and have a plate that rotates it with hydraulics. Get to site rotate plate and drive off. Idk just a thought

Reactions: DDDonkey
E

Ernge

Sep 15, 2019
Upstate SC
Ownership

1. 1000-3
As long as the trailer would balance ok with all the weight in the back like that.

Like any other trailer, loading heavily at the back just isn't a good idea. While not enough weight to be dangerous in this case, the hucking of the trailer yanking on the pin is annoying - not gonna do that.

Why not build ramp up from side and have a plate that rotates it with hydraulics. Get to site rotate plate and drive off. Idk just a thought

I considered that, too, but I'd also like to recover the 5'-ish of deck space the rig takes up when sitting that way, versus sideways.

We load 5 bikes on a 30 ft goose neck all the time. I know I’m over width but we travel all over the country like this.

That's awesome! You've obviously been seen by LE, but never got any reaction, got pulled over...nothin'? I may very well just run it like that a few times, see if I get any reaction out of them. It's gonna be a while before I can get to this, anyway, and I could do that right now.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
C

Chris200

Jan 6, 2019
Troy mo
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Like any other trailer, loading heavily at the back just isn't a good idea. While not enough weight to be dangerous in this case, the hucking of the trailer yanking on the pin is annoying - not gonna do that.

I considered that, too, but I'd also like to recover the 5'-ish of deck space the rig takes up when sitting that way, versus sideways.

That's awesome! You've obviously been seen by LE, but never got any reaction, got pulled over...nothin'? I may very well just run it like that a few times, see if I get any reaction out of them. It's gonna be a while before I can get to this, anyway, and I could do that right now.
Haven’t dealt with l.e yet not to say it won’t happen but been doing this the last couple years.

H

HondaTech

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the main question here is whether the unit would be able to get into position and remove itself under it's own power.

Just my 2 cents, but the P1K has the oil pickup in the oil pan, which in this position I believe would still be under the oil level and pump pressure the the clutches and oiling system for the engine. You've got the figure that there's hills people have climbed that have a similar angle.

Last edited:

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!