P10005 to Talon 4X - thoughts?

txsurfer

txsurfer

Sep 2, 2016
Santa Fe , TX
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My 2016 P10005 has been bulletproof with 4100 miles but the family is getting anxious for something a bit more sporty. For those of you that have made this transition, what are your thoughts? I know I’ll give up much of the utility piece but we can live with that. We really want to do long day runs on the trails in more comfort and with more speed. Will we be happy?

Reactions: TxDoc and TripleB
Hometeam

Hometeam

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2015
Normal, IL
I went from a P1000-5 to a Talon and every part of the Talon is better, more fun, and faster. The only part that I gave up in my mind was the utility part but the fun of the sport machine outweighs it for me. I actually bought the Pioneer first in 2016 because there wasn't a sport machine out that I felt like spending money on. The suspension on the Talon could be softer out of the gates but springs and valving that I have done have totally transformed the car. You will get some people that will say this car is better than that car and whatever way but each one of those reviews especially shock therapies review has claimed that the Honda Talon drivetrain is the number one drivetrain on the market. So my response is I may not have the number one suspension but I have the number one drivetrain. And that is what usually keeps you on the trails having fun instead of fixing stuff! That's been my experience and two cents! :)

txsurfer

txsurfer

Sep 2, 2016
Santa Fe , TX
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Awesome and many thanks. How are the seats for long day rides? I have to believe they are better than the P bench lol.. I am also considering the RZR ( I know I know) Pro Xp 4 but in my heart, I really can't get over the Polaris piece. My P has never left me stranded and has gone anywhere I have pointed her but as my kid is now 6 we want a little more excitement. My kid says - Daddy lets get a Romp Machine all the time....

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Awesome and many thanks. How are the seats for long day rides? I have to believe they are better than the P bench lol.. I am also considering the RZR ( I know I know) Pro Xp 4 but in my heart, I really can't get over the Polaris piece. My P has never left me stranded and has gone anywhere I have pointed her but as my kid is now 6 we want a little more excitement. My kid says - Daddy lets get a Romp Machine all the time....
Stiff but liveable. I'm north of 70, muscle mass has left the building (no padding) and I notice the stiff seat when I think about it. But as frequently as I get out to look around that stiffness doesn't affect my enjoyment in any way whatsoever. @Lil_Steve bought his Talon with aftermarket seats and although they were comfortable, the tall side bolsters were a pain in the butt to climb over constantly - he ended up buying a set of stock seats.

Lil_Steve

Lil_Steve

May 22, 2019
Gilbert, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon R
@Lil_Steve bought his Talon with aftermarket seats and although they were comfortable, the tall side bolsters were a pain in the butt to climb over constantly - he ended up buying a set of stock seats.

The seats (PRP) were more comfortable than stock and the higher seat bolsters were a bit of an inconvenience getting in/out but the deal breaker for me was the lower "sunk in" seating position. But that's only because I'm a short s***! For those reasons I'm happier with the stock seats I later purchased. I find the stock seats pretty comfortable as is having done multiple 6-8 hour days in them.

PS, I use a memory foam butt cushion for added seat height! 🤣

Hometeam

Hometeam

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2015
Normal, IL
The seats are definitely better than the seats in my pioneer were. Obviously they are considered a race type seat and you do lose some comfortability when you gain seating support! To me and my wife they have been very comfortable and most of our rides are 5 to 8 hours and some have been 12. Which at 12 did end in her crying saying I never want to go out that long again but it wasn't because of the seats!!! 😂 it's my driving that makes her insane! At least that's what she tells me!:cool: I do not have a four-seater but I would definitely choose the Honda over the Polaris in a four-seat version. A buddy of mine has a four-seat RZR because his wife liked the color. But he said that the fit and finish of the Honda was heads and shoulders above the Polaris and the back row seating in the Honda was the best he had been in. Kids have good views of everything due to the fact that they set the seats in a little bit so you don't look at the back head of the driver and passenger. also a plus to the Honda four-seater is it's not quite as long as the Polaris and the Can-Am. The Polaris I believe has the same size wheelbase as a regular-sized Tahoe does. The Can-Am four-seater has the same size wheel base as a suburban. That's just too big in my mind. And he said he wanted the Honda drivetrain and wish he made that choice. He isn't completely unhappy with his Polaris but he would have probably done things differently if he had to do it again. There are things about the pro XP that are killer but like you've said my Hondas have never not worked. And that's after thousands of miles of Tennessee abuse.

txsurfer

txsurfer

Sep 2, 2016
Santa Fe , TX
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yes kid visibility is critical. My buddy had a General4 with small kids and they can barely see out and tend to get car sick in the back. Now I just have to figure out how 2 mid sized dogs can fit in the back seat or bed area lol... we are a full riding family :cool:

I see that the Live valve version debate has literally been beating to death so I won't go there..

Blownzuki

Blownzuki

Truth detector of the NTC.
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2020
Northern Indiana
Ownership

1. Talon X4
My wife and I both have no complaints with the suspension or seats as far as comfort goes with our x4. I don’t think the suspension is harsh at all. The x4 does have the extra length, maybe that makes up the difference?