Code54

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 31, 2015
Hurricane West Virginia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
I finally got to take the Talon out for a short trip around the neighbor's farm tonight and noticed it was running very poorly. Sort of surging and would sometimes stall when I was shifting into reverse. When I say surging, I mean I can push the gas 1/2 down, and it seemed to bog, then it may take a few seconds, and it would mostly jump in RPMs and take off close to normal. On some hills, I had very little power and would have to about floor it to get up a hill that is mostly nothing. I also noticed the shifts seemed off, almost like the machine thought it should be picking up speed or going better when it wasn't. I think this is my fault as I have not run it much recently. Like 100 miles in the last 18 months ( I know, I know, - we have 2 SxSs and an ATV, so this has been resting for a bit), maybe, and very very little recently. Would this be normal for bad gas? I think it is and am draining the tank and thought I would refill for 93 and some seafoam - any thoughts? I also didn't throw any codes, which is also what is making me lean towards bad fuel.

Reactions: ChadD and Smittyp
Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I would definitely drain the fuel tank and put fresh stuff in it. Might not hurt to put a new set of plugs in as well. They might be fouled from bad fuel.

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If that helps, get the engine nice and warm and perform a clutch relearn.

Reactions: ChadD and Smittyp
H

HondaTech

Spark Plugs
I had one recently that idled weird, and stuttered when holding rpms at just under 2k. It stuttered when accelerating at around that rpm as well, then would clear out.

I pulled the plugs and found the front cylinder to be blackened and sooty. Replaced both plugs and all those symptoms were gone.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Use the NGK number 90992 and order from anyone besides Honda, save lots.

D

Dankathy

May 4, 2020
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
think i would do the gas first, move on to the plugs only if needed. If the gas doesn't smell like gas you found your problem

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!