P1000 P1K test drive notes.

ButchersHook

ButchersHook

May 13, 2015
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
had the chance to drive one today, after a brief Q&A session with Wayne Lambert (helped design it) Midwest sales rep and head service rep for the nation.

It was alot to take in the machine is very beefy smooth as silk and quiet. There was a decent size track we got to ride on only problem was it rained very hard this morning then the ripped it up so it was very tacky one lane trail almost. the corners were rutted soo bad it just sucked you in. There is plenty of power on hand and seems to have room for plenty more. In Auto mode the first 3 gears sifted very fast you could hardly feel them. In sport mode it carried the revs almost to the rev limiter on almost every gear. They were very generous with the shift points and must have trust in this engine cuz it would go as far as it could before shifting. Then trying manual mode I found myself shifting sooner then the auto mode. That was hard to get used to, never ran paddle shifters before. Low gear was built for pulling down houses and even there it ran the revs up high and shifted strong. GOBS of torque!!

The suspension is very very nice The rear shock is massive. Tilt steering was basically put it where ever you want and lock it down there were no set points. First time with EPS and I could tell compared to the 700. HUGE difference. It feels like you sit a bit more level with the hood almost like its out in front of you more.

Couple questions I asked and got answers to:

-Speed limiter kicks in anywhere between 63-65
-Engine and tranny oil ARE NOT separate, They have seperate filters and separate drain plugs but share the same oil. 6Qts of oil!!
-The sub tranny (hi-low) is separate oil but will not need changing as often
-Air filter cleanings 3 times longer life then 700.
-Yes headlights have a hi and low.
-Yes bolt pattern IS 136-4
-They started a 2nd shift at the plant in SC. They already have double the amount built this time then they did when they were introducing the 700.

As muddy as it was there was no mud on myself or rollcage bars. they did a great job with that and closed up ALOT of the gaps we may find on behind the front wheels on the 700. Also There did not seem to be alot of room behined the front tires, 30s on 14s might be tough.. There was alot to concentrate on when I was driving it, there is alot of info on the LCD that was wasnt used to seeing on the 700 so trying to read speeds and shift point and look where I was going was a bit difficult. For 700 owners stepping up to the 1000, its like apples and oranges I did not feel like I was in anything like my 700. This things wants to go!!

No I dont have pics or video my phone is smart but not that smart.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Excellent @ButchersHook,
Thats a lot of oil. Reminds me of my Rubicon.
I also here that manual can NOT be driven in sport mode? That A/T and Sport are both Auto and of course M/T is manual.
Surprised Wayne was there. You must of made it to one of the better demo's. I heard that some of them have been short trying to get as many riders in as they can. I haven't been so lucky to find one within a few hours drive. :-(
I hope Honda's production has up'ed enough to carry the demand. I think its going to be HUGE. Cant wait.
thanks again.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That's good to hear, glad you could make it to a good one. There was a demo ride 2hrs from my house but I was 700miles away at the time.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Thanks @ButchersHook for the write up. I was surprised by the size of the suspension components too. But despite it's size & weight the P1000-5 I drove seemed surprisingly quick and nimble for what I was expecting. Should be an awesome machine, demand should be great but I'm wondering about supply on this model. We will see in 6 weeks.

ButchersHook

ButchersHook

May 13, 2015
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
This was the Southern WI dealer realease. I got to go along cuz my dealer could bring a guest. When talking with my dealer he said they were in tech training and video seminars all morning. There were a few spots open to the public but not many. they had 3 1000-5s there. The 1K-3 is not in production yet. I overheard the midwest rep talking to another dealer "So hows WI largest Polaris dealer doing"? chuckle chuckle, " I have you guys down for a Oct 14th delivery"....I turned to my dealer and said whens mine getting here? His reply: Thats the guy you have to ask.

ButchersHook

ButchersHook

May 13, 2015
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks @ButchersHook for the write up. I was surprised by the size of the suspension components too. But despite it's size & weight the P1000-5 I drove seemed surprisingly quick and nimble for what I was expecting. Should be an awesome machine, demand should be great but I'm wondering about supply on this model. We will see in 6 weeks.

Thats why I asked Wayne and he shrudgged it off like "Wont be a problem this time" He did admit the were caught a bit off guard by the 700 demand. I asked if the 1000 was in the works when the 700 was released. It was on paper and they were designing it, however they didnt want it to overshadow the 700, now there are plenty of 700's available out there at dealers and it gives buyers an option.

The dealer that this was held at is a HUGE Ski-doo (Can-am) sled dealer I believe largest in the country. They must of had word from Honda no Can-ams in the yard today cuz the front lawn was peppered with Pioneers and foremans, and thats unusual

Reactions: JACKAL and Hondasxs

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!