Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I finally got to take the LE out for a proper ride yesterday. Brought it home on 12/21 but between weather and being gone had not taken it out on trails yet. Many have asked and are curious about the I4WD performance compared to the regular 4WD & 4WD Lock modes of all the other P1K's. For comparisons I have had a 2016 P1K5D with about 2500 miles on it and have used every drive mode considerably on the 2016.

Yesterday's ride was very muddy and icy as it finally got above freezing (47 degrees) for the first time in 2 weeks, things were really getting soft.

The very first observation of the I4WD is the lack of steering feedback that causes the other models to "hop" or push when turning in 4WD lock. The I4WD system turns seemingly just as tight as 2WD lock with the same light feel of the steering wheel, no rigidity in turning.

During a 50 mile run in mud about a foot deep, to slick rock steep inclines, to thick icy patches in the shaded trail sections the I4WD system performed perfectly, there was no observed delay in getting both front tires to grip and pull in several scenarios that I would likely use 4WD Lock in with my 2016 model. Overall it really is a set it and forget it system that requires no change in driving style or stopping to engage a lock after a failed attempt.

For someone not familiar with offroading this can be a much more confidence inspiring experience, just drive through it. I also noticed a more comfortable ride not only from the Fox Shocks but with the noticeably thicker seating foam compared to a 2016 model.

I believe Honda has a winner on thier hands once people get to experience this setup. My only concern is over long term I4WD maintenance, if any, it's takes electronics and additional braking to make it work it's majic. Only time will tell, but to this point I am completely satisfied with the performance of this setup. I will give an update again once I hit 1000 miles this summer, but I like it so far and would buy it again.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Does traction control limit wheel spin or can you stomp the gas and spin all 4 until you make it through?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
To clarify I4WD, IS NOT TRACTION CONTROL it is exactly the opposite. The I4WD system uses brake force application to increase traction, if a wheel spins rather than cut power like traction control it applies braking only to the spinning wheel forcing more power to the wheels with traction to get over or through an obstacle. The only way power is reduced is if the driver backs off the pedal, no dummy override.

Forget everything you know about traction control in cars this is a completely different technology for off road use.

Last edited:
J

JTW

I am curious to see how your front brakes hold up comparatively... also, what happens if you have a leaking brake line or a failure what does that do to your 4wd system? I’m not knocking it... just curious how it’s going to do.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I am curious to see how your front brakes hold up comparatively... also, what happens if you have a leaking brake line or a failure what does that do to your 4wd system? I’m not knocking it... just curious how it’s going to do.

Well, we don't know what we don't know but I do have a theory. The "brake force traction" is only applied to a wheel when the system detects X amount of rotation differentiation from left to right side. Essentially the only time brakes are being applied by the I4WD computer is during a wheel spinning when the opposite side does not. If both side are going the same speed it isn't applying friction. Technically the increase in brake wear should not be significant but again time will tell. My 2016 needed brakes replacement at about 2000 miles so that is my benchmark being in identical location and use for the 2018 LE.

J

Jimmy-AZ

Lifetime Member
May 9, 2017
Gold Canyon, AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I finally got to take the LE out for a proper ride yesterday. Brought it home on 12/21 but between weather and being gone had not taken it out on trails yet. Many have asked and are curious about the I4WD performance compared to the regular 4WD & 4WD Lock modes of all the other P1K's. For comparisons I have had a 2016 P1K5D with about 2500 miles on it and have used every drive mode considerably on the 2016.

Yesterday's ride was very muddy and icy as it finally got above freezing (47 degrees) for the first time in 2 weeks, things were really getting soft.

The very first observation of the I4WD is the lack of steering feedback that causes the other models to "hop" or push when turning in 4WD lock. The I4WD system turns seemingly just as tight as 2WD lock with the same light feel of the steering wheel, no rigidity in turning.

During a 50 mile run in mud about a foot deep, to slick rock steep inclines, to thick icy patches in the shaded trail sections the I4WD system performed perfectly, there was no observed delay in getting both front tires to grip and pull in several scenarios that I would likely use 4WD Lock in with my 2016 model. Overall it really is a set it and forget it system that requires no change in driving style or stopping to engage a lock after a failed attempt.

For someone not familiar with offroading this can be a much more confidence inspiring experience, just drive through it. I also noticed a more comfortable ride not only from the Fox Shocks but with the noticeably thicker seating foam compared to a 2016 model.

I believe Honda has a winner on thier hands once people get to experience this setup. My only concern is over long term I4WD maintenance, if any, it's takes electronics and additional braking to make it work it's majic. Only time will tell, but to this point I am completely satisfied with the performance of this setup. I will give an update again once I hit 1000 miles this summer, but I like it so far and would buy it again.
784 miles on my LE and all systems are a go

Sent from my SM-T818V using Tapatalk

J

Jimmy-AZ

Lifetime Member
May 9, 2017
Gold Canyon, AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well, we don't know what we don't know but I do have a theory. The "brake force traction" is only applied to a wheel when the system detects X amount of rotation differentiation from left to right side. Essentially the only time brakes are being applied by the I4WD computer is during a wheel spinning when the opposite side does not. If both side are going the same speed it isn't applying friction. Technically the increase in brake wear should not be significant but again time will tell. My 2016 needed brakes replacement at about 2000 miles so that is my benchmark being in identical location and use for the 2018 LE.
Break force.......wear is only when the pads are being forced on the rotor going around. In I-4wd it locks it in place ( crawling in general) hence no rotation and no wear. We may need to worry about a zombie apocalypse with hatches that will cut your break lines lol.

Reactions: Lady01
J

JTW

Break force.......wear is only when the pads are being forced on the rotor going around. In I-4wd it locks it in place ( crawling in general) hence no rotation and no wear. We may need to worry about a zombie apocalypse with hatches that will cut your break lines lol.

Huh? How could it lock it in place and still turn?

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
He means if a wheel is in air (you're familiar with that) the brake hold it so the opposite side can drive forward. Thus no wear.
I guess the question is when one wheel begins to spin faster than the other (whether it be in the air or on the ground clawing up a hill) how quickly does the i4wd engage? It's not engaging until the wheel is spinning faster than another....unless of course it has predictive analytics to know when to break ahead of time.
So is this the sequence of events:
Climbing a muddy hill
1. Front right starts to spin faster than the left
2.i4wd recognizes speed difference
3.i4wd begins to apply break to front right
4.more power is applied to front left.

Now does it apply break to stop the free wheel completely or only slow it to where it matches speed of opposing wheel? I would think they should match and thus causing more break wear than a regular 4wd pioneer doing the same thing.

To be clear, rate of break wear is not a deterrent for me at all. I'm just curious how well it works.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I guess the question is when one wheel begins to spin faster than the other (whether it be in the air or on the ground clawing up a hill) how quickly does the i4wd engage? It's not engaging until the wheel is spinning faster than another....unless of course it has predictive analytics to know when to break ahead of time.
So is this the sequence of events:
Climbing a muddy hill
1. Front right starts to spin faster than the left
2.i4wd recognizes speed difference
3.i4wd begins to apply break to front right
4.more power is applied to front left.

Now does it apply break to stop the free wheel completely or only slow it to where it matches speed of opposing wheel? I would think they should match and thus causing more break wear than a regular 4wd pioneer doing the same thing.

To be clear, rate of break wear is not a deterrent for me at all. I'm just curious how well it works.

As I stated in my first post, I noticed no delay when one tire would be in mud and the other on sandstone, it just keep driving forward without loss of momentum even though the side in mud is going steep uphill. I expected to spin, it did not just kept going.

My estimate is one tire turns maybe 1/4 turn out of synch with the other, by then braking system (I4WD) is already doing it's thing, it seems to know if you are really on the gas, or cruising, or just making a turn, it seems to adapt accordingly.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
There is another possible benefit to the I4WD system compared to the other models in regular 4WD in certain conditions.

On the other models in 4WD it is possible to get a front tire spinning with enough speed that when it cab grab traction such as in rocky conditions with enough force the CV joint can get blown out. Now this would likely only happen when being a lead foot or inexperienced.

The I4WD by design would prevent that wheel spin thus elimination of the stress on the axle or CV joint from abruptly getting traction while spinning quickly. The inertia of bigger diameter heavier tires compounds the stress in those conditions.

In short the I4WD may just significantly reduce the chance for broken CV joints and axles.

J

JTW

There is another possible benefit to the I4WD system compared to the other models in regular 4WD in certain conditions.

On the other models in 4WD it is possible to get a front tire spinning with enough speed that when it cab grab traction such as in rocky conditions with enough force the CV joint can get blown out. Now this would likely only happen when being a lead foot or inexperienced.

The I4WD by design would prevent that wheel spin thus elimination of the stress on the axle or CV joint from abruptly getting traction while spinning quickly. The inertia of bigger diameter heavier tires compounds the stress in those conditions.

In short the I4WD may just significantly reduce the chance for broken CV joints and axles.
I whole heartedly agree with that..

Reactions: Lady01 and JACKAL
J

JTW

He means if a wheel is in air (you're familiar with that) the brake hold it so the opposite side can drive forward. Thus no wear.
So in my mind it’s working like a skid steer.. so I can’t grasp how it doesn’t wear the brakes. I can certainly see the advantage to driving it and how it performs vs a locked diff but it’s just too smart for me.

Reactions: Lady01 and JACKAL
Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
As I stated in my first post, I noticed no delay when one tire would be in mud and the other on sandstone it just keep driving forward without loss of momentum even though the side in mud going steep uphill I expected to spin it did not just kept going.

My estimate is one tire turns maybe 1/4 turn out of synch with the other the braking system is already doing it's thing, it seems to know if you are really on the gas or cruising or just making a turn it adapts accordingly.
That's pretty cool.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
People used to think your blood would boil if you drove a car too fast, the 500 and 700 are faster than the fastest cars of that time. They didn’t understand and were fearful.

I don’t understand how the I-4WD drive works, it’s not been explained in any detail by Honda.

I wouldn’t think it would use the brakes heavily enough to create excessive pad wear that would be bad design. (People already complain about dust and heat in an open air off-road vehicle)

The Acura system does not hinder movement off-road. I’m going to make a WILD assumption and say the I-4WD shares technology with the Acura family that has been further modified for a pure off-road environment.

30% grade with two wheels on ice

I loved my SH-AWD it was designed for the best handling on road but it was amazing on ice the two times I needed it for that. I also didn’t do anything too wild like take it off-roading in Death Valley or up a Hawaiian volcano.

lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
Upload 2018 1 11 9 19 28

Tea Kettle Junction, Death Valley :oops:

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
So in my mind it’s working like a skid steer.. so I can’t grasp how it doesn’t wear the brakes. I can certainly see the advantage to driving it and how it performs vs a locked diff but it’s just too smart for me.

Sometimes you just have to let the technology be smart enough for you.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!