P1000 17 P-5D review

B

Bones

Dec 10, 2017
Bourbon Mo.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hello All,
Just thought I'd pass along my observations of our new P-5D after our first time on the trails last weekend. This machine is the first side by side we have ever owned but we do have a 15 Polaris 850 and an 08 Grizzly 700 so I'm familiar with this type equipment. I have a little riding time on my friends 15 Teryx LE and my son had a 12 RZR 900 XP but the closer comparison is obviously the Teryx. First of all, I'm a bit of a research nut and when we decided on a sxs it became fairly clear what I wanted but my wife pretty well stuck her heels in the mud over the bench seat and the ugly roll bar. We test drove the new Yamaha and a Commander both in her opinion were both better than the Pioneer "but do what ever you want" So I did:) She said it looked like a African Safari buggy....Grandson thinks it looks like a forklift. It's now nicknamed the African Forklift:) To the review.

Transmission=10 plus. Love everything about it. My friend with the Teryx (actually a die hard Honda guy)
raved over how smooth it is compared to his Kaw.

Power=8 Has plenty for what we do but I'm a Hp lover and you can't have too much. If they made a 1500 I'd a bought it instead.

Turning radius=10 The trails we rode are very tight and this thing handled them great.

Suspension=6 A little choppy in the front. Way different animal, but my 850 feels like being on a cloud by comparison. My friends Teryx probably gets the nod in this (the only) department. Kinda wish I'd have stepped up to the L model.

Storage=5/6 I'll be adding storage.

Power Steering/Braking are fine, 8 for both.

Conclusion:
It's a very well built machine that goes probably more places than I care to take it, at least for now. Doors rattle more than they should but I see bushings here so that may be on the list as-well. All in all, glad we made the choice to go Honda this time. And the wife now loves it!

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Make sure the doors are adjusted but I do like the feel of the RB3 bushings. Aftermarket shocks are a huge improvement in ride and getting rid of the stock tires helps with handling and ride quality. The under dash storage is really nice. I've always got car seats in the front so I haven't tried the under seat storage but it's an option.

B

Bones

Dec 10, 2017
Bourbon Mo.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Make sure the doors are adjusted but I do like the feel of the RB3 bushings. Aftermarket shocks are a huge improvement in ride and getting rid of the stock tires helps with handling and ride quality. The under dash storage is really nice. I've always got car seats in the front so I haven't tried the under seat storage but it's an option.
Doing under seat storage for sure and will also check door adjustment. I did notice door adj in the book.

Mopower58

Mopower58

No reservations about no reservations
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2017
Crystal Springs,Ms.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Order the RB3 bushings and fix the rattle. If you tape the striker you will just mask the problem. That is my opinion but I did do the RB3 door bushings and I am speaking from personal experience.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!