BOX1

P500 P5 rear diff issue

J

Jerry32

Mar 10, 2017
Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
I just purchased a p5 last week brand new 19miles now. Took it out for a ride sunday. There rear diff is making a loud clunking sound in 3rd,4th,5th. And when there is no tenion on the drive train kinda costing its making a loud grindi g sound. Dealer says somthings not right but cant fond what the problem is. Any of yall have tbis issue. I just joined by the way. Im jerry

sthomp54

sthomp54

Jun 11, 2015
Rear diff is noisy on these, some put in thicker oil. Not sure if yours is messed up or not but clunking and banging while shifting is normal especially when new before break in.

J

Jerry32

Mar 10, 2017
Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
Rear diff is noisy on these, some put in thicker oil. Not sure if yours is messed up or not but clunking and banging while shifting is normal especially when new before break in.
Yeah i know they have a grawl to them but this isnt right it sounds like a piece od steel rubni g the drive shaft. But there isnt. Soon as I figure out how to up load a video I will let you hear it. Dealer said sometbi gs wrong it aint normal.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4
Yeah i know they have a grawl to them but this isnt right it sounds like a piece od steel rubni g the drive shaft. But there isnt. Soon as I figure out how to up load a video I will let you hear it. Dealer said sometbi gs wrong it aint normal.
Welcome here Jerry. I can tell you that when mine was new and before I installed heavier synthetic oil it made terrible racket when shifting, or letting up on the gas in those higher gears. But if yours is beyond that, and the dealer agrees, what's he offering?

J

Jerry32

Mar 10, 2017
Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
Welcome here Jerry. I can tell you that when mine was new and before I installed heavier synthetic oil it made terrible racket when shifting, or letting up on the gas in those higher gears. But if yours is beyond that, and the dealer agrees, what's he offering?
They are calling other honda service dept to see if anyone else has had this issue and is communicating with a tech from honda to try and find a cause. Before they start tearing it apart. I bought it at a honda owned dealer.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4
They are calling other honda service dept to see if anyone else has had this issue and is communicating with a tech from honda to try and find a cause. Before they start tearing it apart. I bought it at a honda owned dealer.
Ok, well good luck with that and hopefully you're taken care of properly. Not everyone is having the best of luck with dealer service so please keep us updated.

J

Jerry32

Mar 10, 2017
Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
Ok, well good luck with that and hopefully you're taken care of properly. Not everyone is having the best of luck with dealer service so please keep us updated.
Thanks. I hadnt even owned it a week yet before I took it back. Havent had any issues with them yet. But we will see. Only good thing I feel is its not a private owned dealer. Its a honda owned one. They only sell hondas. It was the first ride I took it on oly had like 19 miles on it.

Reactions: Montecresto
HUCK

HUCK

Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2016
ARIZONA
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X
F IT ! IT'S UNDER WARRANTY . Drive the hell out of it ! When it brakes they will know exactly what to fix . You should sure not have to work on the dang thing .

Reactions: JRF
J

Jerry32

Mar 10, 2017
Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
F IT ! IT'S UNDER WARRANTY . Drive the hell out of it ! When it brakes they will know exactly what to fix . You should sure not have to work on the dang thing .
Its currently at the dealer. They are trying to fiure it out.

Reactions: crewcabrob and HUCK
iowaguy

iowaguy

Lifetime Member
Sep 22, 2014
Eastern Iowa
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I just purchased a p5 last week brand new 19miles now. Took it out for a ride sunday. There rear diff is making a loud clunking sound in 3rd,4th,5th. And when there is no tenion on the drive train kinda costing its making a loud grindi g sound. Dealer says somthings not right but cant fond what the problem is. Any of yall have tbis issue. I just joined by the way. Im jerry
Welcome to the club Jerry, let us know what the problem was, after you get it back.

S

SuperDave

Mar 17, 2017
Beckley ,West Virginia
Ownership

1. 500
well, maybe the dealer didn't fill the rear end with oil kinda sounds like that could be what happened, just a thought and i'm SuperDave new here and nice to meet eveyone. I just bought a p5 camo 3 days ago.

Buford

Buford

May 9, 2016
U.S.A.
well, maybe the dealer didn't fill the rear end with oil kinda sounds like that could be what happened, just a thought and i'm SuperDave new here and nice to meet eveyone. I just bought a p5 camo 3 days ago.

They come filled from the factory.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500

Congrats on the new ride and welcome to the forum @SuperDave .
We love pics around here. ;)

Reactions: Jerry32
Little_g

Little_g

Aug 6, 2015
Parker, AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Finally got to take my 17 out yesterday for about a 20 mile ride. No sound coming from the rear on my machine. I know my 15 was noisy as all hell until I put heavier oil in. Hope yours turns out to be nothing but hey you've got warranty make em fix it!

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Should replace diff. And send the bad one capped off as taken off vehicle for a factory review in case there is a debris or manufacturing issue. Suggest they apply their ISO 9001 corrective action program. Good luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: jonedmonds
M

Matt23

Oct 22, 2021
South Carolina
Ownership

1. 500
My rear diff making a clanking sound as well not sure the problem here is a video of noise it is making gonna start trying to figure it out today….. if anyone might have any answers they would be greatly appreciated

Attachments

• IMG_0460.MP4
    5.7 MB
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!