P500 accessories recommended

500isforHubby

Sep 12, 2021
Idaho
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I've put $ down with local dealer for a Pioneer 500. Hope to get it before Christmas, but should expect Spring. Will be used by my 80 years young husband. It's time to give up his 2014 Honda rancher 420 5 speed for the back support of a SxS. Better to ask forgiveness than permission. 😇
I realize I'm looking at another couple of thousand for accessories. However, I would like to keep it so we can still afford groceries. We ride on SE Idaho mountain trails and old logging roads mostly. DUST and rocky trails are the norm, sometimes steep.
Where do I find a reasonably priced real glass windshield? Or do the treated "scratch resistant" windshields really stay clear if you clean them correctly?
What do I need to do to modify/add to make the most comfortable ride for a bumpy terrain? Shocks? Adjustments to original equipment? Seat cushions?
Will most aftermarket hard roofs only add a couple of inches to the overall height? Our existing enclosed trailer has a 75" opening.
Thank you for any and all suggestions!

SILVER_ALERT

SILVER_ALERT

HONDA SXS Club Flounder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 6, 2016
Route 66 Oklahoma
Ownership

1. 500
Howdy from Oklahoma, and welcome to the club. Your 80 years young husband has dethroned me as the senior-senior citizen at Honda SXS. ;)

I have a EMP aluminum roof that adds less than an inch in height, You can check it out here: Pioneer 500 Aluminum Top

They have windshields too, but I don't use one. I am sure there will be other folks with suggestions on both, along with ride improvement.

500isforHubby

Sep 12, 2021
Idaho
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Howdy from Oklahoma, and welcome to the club. Your 80 years young husband has dethroned me as the senior-senior citizen at Honda SXS. ;)

I have a EMP aluminum roof that adds less than an inch in height, You can check it out here: Pioneer 500 Aluminum Top

They have windshields too, but I don't use one. I am sure there will be other folks with suggestions on both, along with ride improvement.
Thank you for your reply! I see it comes in red. That might be fun, although he'll probably pick black. A thinner roof material will allow for bigger tires and still keep under 75".

500isforHubby

Sep 12, 2021
Idaho
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Power Steering and Walker Evans shocks.
I wondered about power steering. I looked online, might have been Amazon, saw a kit for around $680. Or is PS something I should order from the dealer to have them install when it comes in?

Reactions: Montecresto
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I've put $ down with local dealer for a Pioneer 500. Hope to get it before Christmas, but should expect Spring. Will be used by my 80 years young husband. It's time to give up his 2014 Honda rancher 420 5 speed for the back support of a SxS. Better to ask forgiveness than permission. 😇
I realize I'm looking at another couple of thousand for accessories. However, I would like to keep it so we can still afford groceries. We ride on SE Idaho mountain trails and old logging roads mostly. DUST and rocky trails are the norm, sometimes steep.
Where do I find a reasonably priced real glass windshield? Or do the treated "scratch resistant" windshields really stay clear if you clean them correctly?
What do I need to do to modify/add to make the most comfortable ride for a bumpy terrain? Shocks? Adjustments to original equipment? Seat cushions?
Will most aftermarket hard roofs only add a couple of inches to the overall height? Our existing enclosed trailer has a 75" opening.
Thank you for any and all suggestions!
I bought my P5 in 2014 and put a SATV hard coat windshield on it and it’s still perfectly clear…

Welcome to the club btw….😎

Reactions: SILVER_ALERT
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Howdy from Oklahoma, and welcome to the club. Your 80 years young husband has dethroned me as the senior-senior citizen at Honda SXS.
I’m pretty sure that @TR1 had already done that….😊

• Haha
Reactions: SILVER_ALERT

500isforHubby

Sep 12, 2021
Idaho
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
As of yesterday, I can vouch for Walker Evans shocks. Man what a difference on the bumps👍
Thank you. I looked at W.E. website. Said 20 week delivery time. Yikes.

Reactions: Backwoods

500isforHubby

Sep 12, 2021
Idaho
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I recommend a wench , they have saved me on occasion especially when I've gotten stuck riding alone.
Thank you. His rancher has a winch, not sure if he's ever had to use it. So I hope he can move it to the 500 if he wants one. 🤞

Reactions: Backwoods
P

pappyo

Dec 19, 2013
Welcome to the Old-Duffer Club <> form Central N.Y
Started as a Honda forum.

1st.
If you put on a Roof & Winshield <> Drive in Dust you Will NEED a back Panel to keep the dust off of you & hubby and out of Cab.

Honda Hard Coat windshield is about $500.00 expensive to replace <> special maintaining cleaning
Glass about $600.00 shipped <> local auto glass shop can cut & replace reasonable cost <> easily maintained
Since as we age our heads Do not flex as easy <> Mirrors are Nice to keep a eye on the rearview for the more aggressive impatient riders. PLENTY of Those on the trails.,

After the sticker shock:
Take for a few rides see what you dislike.

Then decide what's next:.To better improve the Ride to Suit YOU.
Better shocks
Easier steering
Bigger Tires & ( Radials help improve the ride ) )
On steep off canter hills you may want to consider offset wheels or wheel spacers to reduce the tippy sensation.

OOP's<> I'm getting into the grocery budget for 2023

Pappyo ( not far from the 80 mark )
Glad to see other vintage riders <>< still going strong

500isforHubby

Sep 12, 2021
Idaho
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Yeah I just got mine last week, was told 12 weeks but had Them in about

Welcome to the Old-Duffer Club <> form Central N.Y
Started as a Honda forum.

1st.
If you put on a Roof & Winshield <> Drive in Dust you Will NEED a back Panel to keep the dust off of you & hubby and out of Cab.

Honda Hard Coat windshield is about $500.00 expensive to replace <> special maintaining cleaning
Glass about $600.00 shipped <> local auto glass shop can cut & replace reasonable cost <> easily maintained
Since as we age our heads Do not flex as easy <> Mirrors are Nice to keep a eye on the rearview for the more aggressive impatient riders. PLENTY of Those on the trails.,

After the sticker shock:
Take for a few rides see what you dislike.

Then decide what's next:.To better improve the Ride to Suit YOU.
Better shocks
Easier steering
Bigger Tires & ( Radials help improve the ride ) )
On steep off canter hills you may want to consider offset wheels or wheel spacers to reduce the tippy sensation.

OOP's<> I'm getting into the grocery budget for 2023

Pappyo ( not far from the 80 mark )
Glad to see other vintage riders <>< still going strong
Thank you. I picked up groceries this morning then checked the W.E. website for shocks again. Now up to 24 weeks. So I called them. On phone orders they do not charge your card until built and shipped. Website you pay up front. So they are on phone order. I checked online also for pricing on a back window, not too bad$. Took the T-bones off, added hamburger to the next grocery list. All good!

crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
I found that the roof, windshield and tires were some of the biggest upgrades for the money. Then the trigger heat/dust shield would be on my list next.

Fruitz101

Fruitz101

Supporting Member
Jan 23, 2019
Illinois
Ownership

1. 500
Thank you.
Might wanna try elka shocks- might be less of a wait.. 5+2 12in rims with 26in radial tires. See if your dealer will install superatv power steering- a must have imo. Kfi winch Mount is a good, easy install and probably work with your existing winch. If u get a full front windshield you’re gonna need a rear one for the dust.
Enjoy and guuud lock!

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!