P500 P500 front diff trick

ncred02

ncred02

Jul 16, 2015
Raleigh NC
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I tried this yesterday on some steep climbs over some rocky terrain and it actually worked.

Reactions: Dp5hunter
ncred02

ncred02

Jul 16, 2015
Raleigh NC
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I saw this video a few weeks ago. Then yesterday we were slipping with the rear tires and the front pass side. I put slight pressure on the brake and the drivers front grabbed and over the rock I went.

jak9922

jak9922

hot headed wopolock
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Jun 2, 2015
pittstown ny
Nice i should have tried that last night highsided in a mud pit with pass tire in the air spinning

ncred02

ncred02

Jul 16, 2015
Raleigh NC
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I did a Youtube search and theres a few more videos on the subject.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
We used to do the same thing with trucks. We would partially engage the parking brake for trucks with open rear differentials.

Chance135

Chance135

Jun 18, 2015
Southern Maine
We used to do the same thing with trucks. We would partially engage the parking brake for trucks with open rear differentials.

Yep, I had an jeep cj7 years ago that I used to use this technique with. The rear had a Detroit locker but the front was open so a little feathering of the brake would turn the front end into somewhat of a limited slip. This thread is a nice refresher for off road driving techniques.

advertisement
jak9922

jak9922

hot headed wopolock
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Jun 2, 2015
pittstown ny
I must have a heavy left foot lol funny thing i touch the brakes and the wheels and engine slow down lol on a wheeler it works cuz u can just squeeze the fronts but probably just on me

MaleRN28US

MaleRN28US

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Dec 1, 2015
Roanoke, Indiana
I found this today for the foreman 500. I don't know if it would work for the Pioneer 500....

"Hello there gentlemen,after countless hours of trial and error I have finally figured out how to lock the front diff. without effecting the steering.There is no welding involved.If any of guys have ever been inside the diff. this will be easy for you.Once you take diff. apart take out your ring gear assembly.Take out all the bolts on the ring gear.Before you take it apart hold it together then flip it over.This will keep all the parts from falling out.Take the ring gear off and you should see the gear on top and two washers.If not, then it is stuck inside the ring gear because of the oil.It should pop out easy tho_One washer should be flat and the other is coned shaped.The reason it is coned shaped is because it is a spring.When the front diff. is under stain this washer flattens out and allows the gear to slip.What you do is go to your honda shop or go to CheapCycleParts.com - Cheap Cycle Parts and order another coned washer.The washer is called a side coned spring, part number 42461-HN5-671 for 10 bucks.Put the two coned washers together in the same direction not opposite of each other.Then just put the two coned washers and flat washer back in and then put your ring gear back on.Flip it over then put all your bolts back in.This added washer keeps the washers from flattening out and keeps both wheels spinning.You have not changed the function of the diff. so therefore it will continue to work as it should.Mine turns just like it should and pulls all 4 wheels when in 4wheel drive.I dont know if honda makes a locking diff. but I have not found one yet.Besides that im sure it cost a pretty penny.If you have any questions about this just reply and I will help you anyway I can Thanks......"

IdahoPioneer

IdahoPioneer

Oct 16, 2015
Emmett, Idaho
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
If anyone tries this on the P500 please share your results. I don't exactly have time to go digging around in my front diff any time soon.

MaleRN28US

MaleRN28US

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Dec 1, 2015
Roanoke, Indiana
If anyone tries this on the P500 please share your results. I don't exactly have time to go digging around in my front diff any time soon.
I posted it in hopes of one of the more mechanically inclined members on here would take a look at their front differential. In all honesty, the open differential is the only thing keeping me from buying a 2015 with some of the great deals in my area.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I posted it in hopes of one of the more mechanically inclined members on here would take a look at their front differential. In all honesty, the open differential is the only thing keeping me from buying a 2015 with some of the great deals in my area.
I have had my P500 on some crazy hills 40% incline with rocks and clay during heavy rain it has not let me down. I did have to use my winch once on fail small incline with a rock ledge that a difflocker would have gotten me out of. Not sure why any of the aftermarket lockers for Ranchers would not work. Also I suspicion the P500 may be in for features upgrades for 2017 or 18. I have no proof of that though.

MaleRN28US

MaleRN28US

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Dec 1, 2015
Roanoke, Indiana
I have had my P500 on some crazy hills 40% incline with rocks and clay during heavy rain it has not let me down. I did have to use my winch once on fail small incline with a rock ledge that a difflocker would have gotten me out of. Not sure why any of the aftermarket lockers for Ranchers would not work. Also I suspicion the P500 may be in for features upgrades for 2017 or 18. I have no proof of that though.
Is there a service diagram for the front diff? It would show if the fix I posted would work.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Is there a service diagram for the front diff? It would show if the fix I posted would work.
Not that I know of off top of my head.

MaleRN28US

MaleRN28US

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Dec 1, 2015
Roanoke, Indiana
Just in case anyone is interested....the front differential from a 700 shares many common parts with the differential from the 500. Looks like an additional case or two and some locking shafts, bearings, and small parts to turn the 500 diff into a locker. Or a front final drive assembly from a 700. Should be less than $1000 if you truly have to HAVE a locking front differential.
I am not saying everything with fit perfectly either but it looks like it will (same part numbers in common). The biggest hurdle would be how to engage the locking differential or just leave it locked.

sthomp54

sthomp54

Jun 11, 2015
I wonder if this will fit? Its just a spool that permanently locks the front end. Its not for everybody as you will lose some steering ability in 4wd, but if you really need a locked front end it could be cheap option.

Honda Trax Lock Spool Locker

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!