P500 P500 Gun Rack

Upstater

Upstater

Nov 13, 2018
Upstate NY
Ownership

1. 500
I'm a new P5 owner and am looking for a nice way to carry a rifle/rifles inside the cab. I have the EMP poly roof, the Honda OEM cargo bag and no windshield. I have tried searching the forum and was surprised to find that this isn't a thread yet, unless I completely missed it (which is always possible). The only obvious places are in the roof area or across the back bars but they are angled. I have googled my options and some look decent but none specifically mention fitting the p5 or that they are adjustable for the rear bar angles.

I don't want to run a Kolpin or similar boot system. I'd really prefer to have an uncased option in the locations mentioned above that stays under cover. Roof is ideal as it is then also somewhat out of sight. I know I'm probably asking a lot but what are you guys/gals using and how do you like it?

Thanks!

Upstater

12luck12

12luck12

Feb 10, 2019
Genesee idaho
Ownership

1. 500
I used a old atv gun rack that i had in the shop and used u bolts to clamp it to the back bar. worked out great. will get some pics when i get home.

Reactions: rtn001
NitroxDiver

NitroxDiver

Dec 22, 2016
Concord NC
Ownership

1. 500
I have the big sky rack for the roof. I also have the EMP poly top but I have not installed the rack with this roof yet. I used it last year with a soft top and it worked well. The only thing to look out for on the P5 is the top is narrow and some rifles may stick out past the sides. I hunt with a 30/30 marlin do it’s no problem for this rifle. It will actually fit inside the bars. I will probably not put the rack back in for a little while but when I do I’ll post up some pictures. I am a little concerned the EMP top may be too close to the roll bar for the ends of the gun rack to clear. If so I’ll need to figure something out.

Reactions: CFECO and rtn001
Normanator22

Normanator22

Lifetime Member
Dec 30, 2018
GA
Ownership

1. 500
I use a waterproof soft shell case (to protect from the elements) and use a couple of those rubber twist tie things from Home Depot and secure it between the Honda cargo bag. Out of the way of my head, and secures nicely.

O

oldfortyfive

Lifetime Member
Dec 6, 2015
Illinois
Ownership

1. 500
It's real hard to beat the Cabelas double gun case across the rear of the roll cage. It holds two guns with real easy access and more importantly they don't get crapped up on the trail or road. I put a roof rack in and it was about useless for a gun. The P500 isn't wide enough for anything but a short carbine and it was slow to get it out. The case is much faster and not in the way.

Ross1147

Ross1147

Jun 27, 2015
Florida
Ownership

1. 500
I used a roof rack but took it out due to having to wear a helmet now in Cali and I constantly hit my head on it. Still looking for something? I Like the idea of the gun case on the back rack, but I have a dog box preventing that.

SpaceTroll

SpaceTroll

Jul 8, 2018
Kirbyville Tx
Ownership

1. 500
I use the KOPLIN 360
Screenshot 2019 05 14 06 01 39 20190514 060323

O

oldfortyfive

Lifetime Member
Dec 6, 2015
Illinois
Ownership

1. 500
I used a roof rack but took it out due to having to wear a helmet now in Cali and I constantly hit my head on it. Still looking for something? I Like the idea of the gun case on the back rack, but I have a dog box preventing that.
I use a pretty big plastic box on the rear to hold all our prairie dog gear and it still fits in between it and the bars nicely.

Reactions: rtn001 and Seg
Garbageman

Garbageman

Dec 6, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 500
It's real hard to beat the Cabelas double gun case across the rear of the roll cage. It holds two guns with real easy access and more importantly they don't get crapped up on the trail or road. I put a roof rack in and it was about useless for a gun. The P500 isn't wide enough for anything but a short carbine and it was slow to get it out. The case is much faster and not in the way.

That's what I use, I've carried a muzzloader, traditional bolt action rifle, and my ar all in the cabelas case. It fits in front of the harbor freight rack on the back, and keeps scopes clean and crap out of the muzzle.BIPBWX50MvSnPx 9HnohRelA1ci51WSrXez7bD8GtE5VgoFOS5dPsNL 25B zLDZFwFnQKvM1p0JKqLPA4w1140 h641 no

Reactions: SORGuy and rtn001
rtn001

rtn001

May 23, 2018
Central Florida
Ownership

1. 500
Welcome from the armpit of the world, Central Florida. I quit using racks due to a bad experience years ago with vibration of optics. After that I rode holding it muzzle up with the butt resting on my thigh when I was riding ATV's. As this is no longer a option I did look into a rack for the P500. I found I had only one long gun, other than 22s, that would fit under the roof and inside the cage using a inside rack. I don't consider a rack outside the cage a option I can live with due to the butt and muzzle taking a beating from limbs and brush in some of the areas I hunt. It is also exposed to the weather and dust. I have been carrying mine inside with the chamber empty, muzzle down resting in a indention just to the right of center on a pad with the but against the back seat. For obvious reasons I'm not wild about this arrangement. I am now looking at a waterproof hard case to attach to the rear rack. My thoughts on this is I can transport it in the truck, upon arrival attach it to the rack, then remove it and return it to the truck or into camp after hunt. My problem with this is I have a rear fabric window and a cargo tray on the rear rack and using a bungee is some what of a pain. Maybe someone else has a idea.

dtng

dtng

Sep 25, 2018
East Tennessee
Ownership

1. 500
So originally I used a set of Kolpin Rhino on the roll cage cross bar, the butt stocks sat on a tray on the back (see 1st pic). This worked well but the problem was that I wanted a roof and this setup gets in the way, also I didn't like the muzzle being exposed to the elements. So I went with a Great Day Quick-Draw Overhead Gun Rack - UTV's with 15"-23" rollbar depth (see 2nd pic). I use scoped AR style carbines with collapsible stocks so they easily fit across the the width of a P-500. This may limit my roof choices to the Honda roof for clearance where the rack connects to the roll cage but that's ok because I tow it and I want to remove the roof when I do and the Honda quick clamps make this easier. Keep in mind that your muzzle can point at an important body part when you stand next to the SxS I require chamber flags in all weapons.

P 500

Great day rack

Spellmajr

Spellmajr

Jul 10, 2016
North MS
Ownership

1. 500
Has anyone used this gun rack? I have the toolbox and basket rack setup on my p5. I’m looking into this gun rack. It will mainly be for shotguns and not scoped rifles.

BCC1751D 5BFD 4606 A159 F0E0AEFF74F1

Upstater

Upstater

Nov 13, 2018
Upstate NY
Ownership

1. 500
Sorry for the delay folks, been away from the computer for a couple weeks having just had a new baby. Well, my wife did ;) Thanks for all of the input on racks and mounts. I'm not looking to carry my hunting rifles with me but rather just a farm/ranch gun the likes of say a 10/22, my old henry .22mag or something of similar size. That strong made mount looks pretty good if I can figure out away to cover it maybe.

Reactions: Alphapup and rtn001

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!