rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
I rode mine for about 12 miles last night and it never heated up. I wasn't pushing it as hard as I was sunday though. Seems everything is normal now...
Ehart
glad to hear
knock on wood
Ride Safe

illinoisdave

illinoisdave

Feb 8, 2016
southern illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-3
i had this problem on mine i ride a lot of river bottoms with mudholes and there is mud that gets on the radiator fins. doesnt take much to deteriorate the cooling capability. the Hondas all seem to make more heat at road speeds at higher RPMs. this may have to do with load on the engine and transmission more than anything else. i could trail ride all day in 2nd and 3rd gear without overheating but as soon as i went to 5th gear and almost w/o it would get hot. i had the same issue with a Foreman 500. this is why i have a radiator relocate on the Foreman and i fabricated one for my p500. around where i am anyone that does any kind of serious mud riding normally uses a radiator relocate to help keep mud out of the fins.

Reactions: Tflynn
ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
i had this problem on mine i ride a lot of river bottoms with mudholes and there is mud that gets on the radiator fins. doesnt take much to deteriorate the cooling capability. the Hondas all seem to make more heat at road speeds at higher RPMs. this may have to do with load on the engine and transmission more than anything else. i could trail ride all day in 2nd and 3rd gear without overheating but as soon as i went to 5th gear and almost w/o it would get hot. i had the same issue with a Foreman 500. this is why i have a radiator relocate on the Foreman and i fabricated one for my p500. around where i am anyone that does any kind of serious mud riding normally uses a radiator relocate to help keep mud out of the fins.

I'm definitely not a serious mud rider, but riding around here it can't be avoided. I have 1400 miles on mine now, so it's definitely seen it's share of mud. Until the other day, I had never seen this thing even get close to heating up. I've had the radiator completely plugged with mud and it didn't heat up. That's why I was concerned on Sunday. You must be right about heating up at road speeds. Doesn't make much sense to me, but it seems to hold true.

Skullmonkey

Skullmonkey

May 18, 2016
Southern Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
Anyone considered taking the plastic gaurd off the front of the radiator? I've got a bumper that protect mine pretty good an it seems like the fins on that gaurd pointing upwards would just hold mud in front of your radiator.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Anyone considered taking the plastic gaurd off the front of the radiator? I've got a bumper that protect mine pretty good an it seems like the fins on that gaurd pointing upwards would just hold mud in front of your radiator.
I can see how that could be beneficial to the mud riders, as long as you have the Strong Made bumper.

Steve00

Steve00

Feb 15, 2018
Florida
Ownership

1. 500
Sorry, but I need to put my two cents here. I'm doing some research and going through the forms about overheating. On the road at top speeds in 5th gear. I'm having the same issue. Maybe I have too much time on my hands, but I search the internet in the other forms. And did some experimenting on my p500. When the temp gun here's where I come up with. We're over RPMing the engine. I don't wish to cause a debate but I promise you this is it. I had experience with this before on other mechanical Motors whether it be Nitro buggies. Or even electronic brushless engines working on am on bench when I went to school. To get my engineering degree. You can overheating engine just as easily by over RPM in it. When you run something as going to low gear ratio at top speeds, you're overworking the engine. Which in turn? Overheats it the p500 is not built for Speed. When I hit 30 miles an hour or more. For a long... time it will overheat. On a flat surface only suggestion is keep it under 30 miles an hour and make sure you're temp gauge. Don't go beyond three bars. Even bypassing the cooling fan or replacing the cooling fan with a performance cooling fan does not help. The p500 is just geared to low which is not best situation if you got flat roads want to go. High speed for long distances . The best thing to do is get bigger tires Basically, we have to choose what we want to use your p500 for it. Flat Road, high speed or low speed Trail condition. I hope this helps.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Sorry, but I need to put my two cents here. I'm doing some research and going through the forms about overheating. On the road at top speeds in 5th gear. I'm having the same issue. Maybe I have too much time on my hands, but I search the internet in the other forms. And did some experimenting on my p500. When the temp gun here's where I come up with. We're over RPMing the engine. I don't wish to cause a debate but I promise you this is it. I had experience with this before on other mechanical Motors whether it be Nitro buggies. Or even electronic brushless engines working on am on bench when I went to school. To get my engineering degree. You can overheating engine just as easily by over RPM in it. When you run something as going to low gear ratio at top speeds, you're overworking the engine. Which in turn? Overheats it the p500 is not built for Speed. When I hit 30 miles an hour or more. For a long... time it will overheat. On a flat surface only suggestion is keep it under 30 miles an hour and make sure you're temp gauge. Don't go beyond three bars. Even bypassing the cooling fan or replacing the cooling fan with a performance cooling fan does not help. The p500 is just geared to low which is not best situation if you got flat roads want to go. High speed for long distances . The best thing to do is get bigger tires Basically, we have to choose what we want to use your p500 for it. Flat Road, high speed or low speed Trail condition. I hope this helps.
I have a 5 mile asphalt run to the national forest where I ride. I do 40 mph all the way. Once in the national forest, opposite extreme. I’m climbing steep rocky trails a lot in low gear, very low rpms for extended periods.

I've never been over 2 bars on the temp gauge in my P5. I bought it the month Honda debuted them, August of 2014.

My buddy that rides with me, has a second year P5, he has had overheating trouble. 🤷‍♂️

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I started this thread. Owned my 500 for 3 years and more than 4000 miles. Conservatively 1/3 of those miles were 5th gear road miles between 35 and 40 mph.
Only ONCE did my 500 get to 3 bars or more, and it was because of mud in the radiator on the day it overheated (see post 1). And that machine ran like brand new on the day I sold it. So I'm going to have to disagree here. Most people that have 500's with miles on them run roads at high rpm and you hear very few issues. I remember reading a post where a guy went like 7 miles straight, on the rev limiter and it didn't overheat. If a 500 is overheating, most likely the radiator has mud in it. Sometimes you can't even see the mud, and it takes soaking with degreaser and rinsing over and over to get it out (i had to do this). Or the coolant could be low, or there is an air bubble in the cooling system.

Timmy

Timmy

May 22, 2016
Elkview, West Virginia
Ownership

1. 500
I started this thread. Owned my 500 for 3 years and more than 4000 miles. Conservatively 1/3 of those miles were 5th gear road miles between 35 and 40 mph.
Only ONCE did my 500 get to 3 bars or more, and it was because of mud in the radiator on the day it overheated (see post 1). And that machine ran like brand new on the day I sold it. So I'm going to have to disagree here. Most people that have 500's with miles on them run roads at high rpm and you hear very few issues. I remember reading a post where a guy went like 7 miles straight, on the rev limiter and it didn't overheat. If a 500 is overheating, most likely the radiator has mud in it. Sometimes you can't even see the mud, and it takes soaking with degreaser and rinsing over and over to get it out (i had to do this). Or the coolant could be low, or there is an air bubble in the cooling system.
Is there a temp sensor on the p-500’s and where is it located at?

70Bones

70Bones

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2017
New Brunswick Canada
Temp sensor is on top of motor, near the spark plug. It is not wired to the fan, it sends a signal to the PCM, which turns on the fan, and sets the bars on the dash display.

Reactions: Mudder
Timmy

Timmy

May 22, 2016
Elkview, West Virginia
Ownership

1. 500
Temp sensor is on top of motor, near the spark plug. It is not wired to the fan, it sends a signal to the PCM, which turns on the fan, and sets the bars on the dash display.
I bought a used p500 fan for $45.00.
Mine hasn’t came on since I sunk it in the creek. My original fan was getting noisy. I don’t know if I trashed it or not.

Reactions: Mudder

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!