P500 P500 in toy hauler: trailering to trailhead

ScottB

ScottB

Mar 4, 2020
Idaho
Ownership

1. 500
Toy hauler solution needed: I need to get my P500 from the RV camp site to trailheads without packing up the RV just to go ride somewhere. My truck is a short bed so the UTV can’t ride in the back, plus I have a truck canopy.

Has anyone tried one of those lightweight trailers that can disassemble and ride under the P500 in the back of the toy hauler?

Example: Short Wheelbase TrailHead Trailer Components — AA Offroad LLC

TIA!

Scott

Red500

Red500

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2018
Greeneville, Tn.
Ownership

1. 500
Toy hauler solution needed: I need to get my P500 from the RV camp site to trailheads without packing up the RV just to go ride somewhere. My truck is a short bed so the UTV can’t ride in the back, plus I have a truck canopy.

Has anyone tried one of those lightweight trailers that can disassemble and ride under the P500 in the back of the toy hauler?

TIA!

Scott
That looks like a good idea but I wonder if the 500 might be too narrow for the back wheels to fit.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X

TIA!

Scott
Jesus Christ No!
I would trust that thing as much as I would trust Brandon to fix the Economy!
Notice theres a Poo Poo in the pic!
🔥 🔥🔥🥳 Theres a reason!

Just check the area your camping in. Most places will let you ridenon the shoulder of most roads to the trail head.

crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
I like the idea. I'm trying to figure out what I would do different if I built one for the same purpose.

Rob

MI-Trailblazer

MI-Trailblazer

Apr 4, 2019
Parma, MI
Ownership

1. 500
I would not discount that trailer that quickly.

When the link opened, the first thing that popped in my head was: rail dune buggy T-trailer! Why have I not seen this sooner in the UTV world? I think the issue is that through the 60's, 70's and 80's this was a perfectly viable way to get your rail dune buggy from riding place to riding place or home to riding place and back. Here in Michigan you could not travel any of the main north-south highways without seeing at least a dozen rails on T-trailers going somewhere. I think it is because the UTV hobby has evolved from the ATV hobby that we all "think" we need an ATV type trailer. When UTV's are kind of closer to dune buggies in size and weight than ATVs.

Now, I cannot speak from first-hand experience with one, but I knew several friends or friends that had rails that this was their form of transportation to up north or over to Silver Lake. Never heard any stories of bad wrecks or ill-handling characteristics from towing one.

So for a campsite to trailhead haul of a few miles, I say go for it! The only thing I see missing in the pictures of that ATV one from AA Offroad is the rail dune buggy ones had a bracket at the tongue end that would catch a lower bar on the frame for a positive "stop" as well as a mechanical holding link besides the tie-down straps. Then it is just a matter of "if" they did their homework and designed the width of the trailer to compensate for the height of the UTV on top of it. You know, our P5 issue with height vs. width for tippiness.

Reactions: KYhillbilly and CID
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Depending entirely on how far I’d have to go to a trailhead, I‘d use that system without any worries.

• Wow
Reactions: Remington
Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5

TIA!

Scott
Yeah it’s essentially a sand rail trailer.

unfortunately your rig will get to experience every seam in the road and you still have the issue of lights and fenders.

the tires on the trailer will take and transfer all the shock loading to your rig. A few hard jolts and it won’t be long before you get stress cracks in the frame of the trailer or your P500.

I looked at this very hard for a long time…and it’s one of the main reasons why I sold my toyhauler this spring, will never go back to a toyhauler ever.

For the camping I do, and the places I go, it’s much easier simply pulling doubles. This way I can either drive to the trail head or trailer to it depending on location. I’m also not feeling obligated to take the TH vs trailer and hotel either.

FC0F5038 32FA 4EC2 BD3D F9F9A228F627

For your p500 I’d seriously consider loosing your canopy or topper and pickup some ramps…yes even mad ramps…vs a sand rail trailer.

Reactions: driller and ScottB
ScottB

ScottB

Mar 4, 2020
Idaho
Ownership

1. 500
Yeah it’s essentially a sand rail trailer.

unfortunately your rig will get to experience every seam in the road and you still have the issue of lights and fenders.

the tires on the trailer will take and transfer all the shock loading to your rig. A few hard jolts and it won’t be long before you get stress cracks in the frame of the trailer or your P500.

I looked at this very hard for a long time…and it’s one of the main reasons why I sold my toyhauler this spring, will never go back to a toyhauler ever.

For the camping I do, and the places I go, it’s much easier simply pulling doubles. This way I can either drive to the trail head or trailer to it depending on location. I’m also not feeling obligated to take the TH vs trailer and hotel either.

View attachment 363436

For your p500 I’d seriously consider loosing your canopy or topper and pickup some ramps…yes even mad ramps…vs a sand rail trailer.
Thanks for the reply. It sounds like you have strong feelings about the toy hauler. Can you give me the pro/cons?
Thanks

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks for the reply. It sounds like you have strong feelings about the toy hauler. Can you give me the pro/cons?
Thanks
In addition to what I already mentioned, Got tired of the kids and wife complaining about the bugs and heat from unloading at night or the fumes. Also got tired of never having the option to bring my boat etc. And got tired of always cleaning up the garage part.

Dispersed camping with a fiver TH is a pia as well due to the height and length.

They are crazy pin heavy and trailer like crap due to the extended height etc meaning you need a lot more truck on the hitch.

Thought they were awesome till I owned one for 3 years. They are always a compromise on something.

They have their place, and people like them…just not my family.

D

dougbo44

Oct 16, 2021
South Jersey
Ownership

1. 500
You mention your truck is a short bed......if its is a full size truck, measure bed lenght/width. I have a 2016 Ram 4door 1500. My 500 fits in bed of truck and gets tied down with Louisiana Guard Dog.

Reactions: HiFive

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!