P500 needs a cover to be towed?

ScottB

ScottB

Mar 4, 2020
Idaho
Ownership

1. 500
I’m a new Pioneer 500 owner. Mine has a plastic front windshield, hard top, and fabric back window. My local dealer tells me I need a towable cover in order to tow the 500 on an open trailer which I am used to towing ATVs without a cover.

It’s a pain in the butt to put on a cover but I don’t want to damage my accessories. Is my dealer trying to make a quick buck or do I need a towable cover for the 500 when on highway/interstate?

Thank you!!
Scott

Backwoods

Backwoods

Ambassador of Crocs / Speaker of truth & facts /
Lifetime Member
Mar 2, 2018
Douglasville ga
Ownership

1. 700-2
I don't have a 500 anymore but I don't tow my 700 with my soft rear panel but I do tow it with my 2 piece Honda windshield with 0 problems. I don't have and dont plan on buying a cover for it. Hope this helps but others will chime in in a bit.

D

DDDonkey

I have never hear that you need a cover to tow any UTV or ATV, have them show you in the owners manual where it says that, then make you decision.

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I’m a new Pioneer 500 owner. Mine has a plastic front windshield, hard top, and fabric back window. My local dealer tells me I need a towable cover in order to tow the 500 on an open trailer which I am used to towing ATVs without a cover.

It’s a pain in the butt to put on a cover but I don’t want to damage my accessories. Is my dealer trying to make a quick buck or do I need a towable cover for the 500 when on highway/interstate?

Thank you!!
Scott
Your dealer is looking to make a buck. Lots of peeps are towing without covers. They can probably provide you with any specific advice related to the windshield and back panel.

Alan_Vander

Alan_Vander

Mar 19, 2019
rosepine,la
Ownership

1. 700-4
Dealer is trying to make a buck if anything id probably roll up the soft rear panel and take windsheild off . Just to get better mileage. Towing it with a cover on might make it to summer before the cover is destroyed.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Glank

Glank

Jul 20, 2020
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I kind of had the same question on the "tow cover" Honda sells. They don't sell it for the P1K5, not sure why, but they do sell it for the 3. I have the two piece plexi windscreen and Honda states that it must be removed when towing with open trailer. I was wondering if a tow cover would allow me to tow the machine without removing the windshield? Is the on/off of the cover more of a pain than the on/off of the windshield? A tow cover would be nice in the winter to keep the road salt off the machine. We also pack it full of stuff (cooler, life vest, duffel bags) so it would be nice to have the cover to keep things dry if driving in the rain. Any thoughts?

ScottB

ScottB

Mar 4, 2020
Idaho
Ownership

1. 500
I’ve been towing my P500 at 75 mph without a cover and had no issues. The cover i was using became lightly damaged from wind but was a real pain to put on and off. I have full windshield and vinyl back. I unzip the back a little bit for air flow.

advertisement
D

DDDonkey

I kind of had the same question on the "tow cover" Honda sells. They don't sell it for the P1K5, not sure why, but they do sell it for the 3. I have the two piece plexi windscreen and Honda states that it must be removed when towing with open trailer. I was wondering if a tow cover would allow me to tow the machine without removing the windshield? Is the on/off of the cover more of a pain than the on/off of the windshield? A tow cover would be nice in the winter to keep the road salt off the machine. We also pack it full of stuff (cooler, life vest, duffel bags) so it would be nice to have the cover to keep things dry if driving in the rain. Any thoughts?
I would be concerned that the cover would scratch the windshield as it flaps in the wind. Just a thought......

Iowamike

Iowamike

May 31, 2020
Dubuque Iowa
Ownership

1. Talon X
I had a Pioneer 1000-5 with the honda 2 piece plastic windshield and never covered it. 1800 miles worth . Also never over 75 mph. I do have a cover I used over the winter but don't think it would handle the highway. It's for sale , got an enclosed trailer and a Talon now.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!