Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
michaelbach said:
Got my rectangle ones in the mail today. Thanks hondasxs. Yeah order from 2faroffroad he's a stand up guy!
wonderfull. Let me know if they fit. And how well. I haven't had anyone test them yet.

C

Crookedcreek

Aug 25, 2014
Hondasxs,
My rectangle caps were in my mailbox yesterday. Had them in five minutes later, took me that long to get my rubber mallet. Went in easy and look great, don't see how they could come out. Thanks again!

C

Chooglin

I also ordered a set of these (2faroffroad) they fit real nice and at a great price !!!

D

dogman

Feb 9, 2015
I just ordered a set of these. What is the best way to treat the inside of the frame to prevent rust before install? My machine is brand new, so it should be pretty clean inside.

William

William

If you ain’t first, you’re last...
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Flowood MS
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I sprayed wd-40 in there for good measure...

D

dogman

Feb 9, 2015
Thanks. I've been making a lot of stuff since l bought a little Lincoln flux core wire welder. I've been using Rustoleum primer, then paint, which works great to keep things from rusting. I just wonder how much coverage I could get up in the frame by spraying from the end. I have a can of something called Aerogrease which I can try. It's supposed to have the solvent evaporate, leaving a layer of grease behind. I just wondered what else folks have done. I may try the primer, then the Aerogrease. I thought about using that Great Stuff expanding foam, but if it doesn't work right, it would be impossible to fix.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Not sure about the other options but Great Stuff would retain water it's an open cell foam. We used it in the bilge of a boat once and it absorbed so much water the boat sat un-level. Had to scrape it all out, FOUL smelling soggy mess.

D

dogman

Feb 9, 2015
Thanks ohanacreek. I hadn't thought about that. I just knew if it didn't work, it would be an irreparable mess. :roll:

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
No prob, got to thinking and I've seen an industrial product that chemically bonds with the rust, stops the oxidation process and converts it to part of the coating.

But don't know what it's called, where you get it or if it would work inside the frame so probably not much help.

D

dogman

Feb 9, 2015
I have some stuff called Jasco Prep and Primer that I got at Ace Hardware. You spray it on rusty metal and let it set awhile, then rinse it with water. It is a solution of phosphoric acid. It converts the rust to ferric phosphate. You can then paint it. You can use it on new metal, then paint, but I'm not sure if it helps enough to be worth the trouble. I have used it on things where I didn't want to take the time to get everything down to bare metal. It works for that. Naval Jelly is the same stuff. When loose rust is converted to FePO4, it will come right off. The thing I'm pondering is how to get a uniform coating of anything up inside those tubes.

advertisement
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
I bought a dowel rod and made a home-made brush out of foam to go in the pipe as far as I could. Just used black Rust-Oleum paint from wal-mart.

Reactions: Rustneversleeps
D

DPRocks100

Feb 22, 2015
Thank you so much! Installed my frame caps yesterday and they fit great! Glad I found this forum and these caps. Installed them when my machine was new, so I should never have a problem.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!