P500 P500 Starting & Shifting Conundrum

hallic

hallic

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2019
Central MN
Ownership

1. 500
Thanks again guys. I’m a total noob at this, so is there a particular quick disconnect switch guys have used and liked? Easy install ideal :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have mine wired up so I have a switch connected through the Aux honda wiring harness, so I need Key-On, Switch-On, which powers the winch's relay.

0 chance of parasitic drain, but bad part, everytime I power-off the machine, or turn the switch off, I have to reach under the pass-side wheel-well and find the button to enable the wireless receiver. (which isnt that big of a deal, I hardly ever use the wireless)

L

LeeB

Lifetime Member
Aug 2, 2017
NM
Ownership

1. 500
Maybe also super clean your cable connection to battery and battery posts; then insure a good, tight connection. Charge battery on charger to full up; watch and see. Just from past experience a possibility.

DFABane

DFABane

Nov 1, 2018
Michigan
Ownership

1. 500
Open the fuse box… there is a fuse in there that is blown…. I had the very same problem… battery being dead… shifting problems…. I know it sounds crazy… but try it….

B

Bruce4795

Dec 12, 2018
Arizona
Ownership

1. 500
Thanks Trigger. You’re right with the short runs, I use it mainly for chores around my hunting land. Nothing more than a few hundred yard runs most times. I have kept it running at idle though as of late so I don’t have to jump it continually. Any idea of the solar tender/trickle charger plugged into the cigarette lighter accessory plug will charge the battery?

N

F

Fishdeeper

Nov 13, 2019
North Vancouver BC
Ownership

1. 500
Interesting. My 2017 P500 battery seems to suffer from a parasitic drain as well.
on my 3rd Yuasa battery. I just dont think they are a good quality battery.
online reviews seems to indicate it just loses charge on its own.
when running it gets 14.4 volts, so charging system is ok.
i have a winch and extra lights, both wired thru the ignition accessory harness.
I tried disconnecting things to find the drain source, but couldnt pin it down.
maybe its the Honda computer module, or a short in the ignition, not sure.
in the end I installed the same quick disconnect switch as in the photo earlier, but i added a bracket to the frame just above the battery box, and ran the -ve battery cable thru it to the ground bolt on the frame just in front of the battery box. and then moved the -ve leads that were on the battery to the frame ground.
fortunately it is stored inside near a power source, so i keep a noco battery maintainer on it.
all good now. buts its a pita to keep it ready to run.

WagginTail

WagginTail

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Oct 13, 2020
SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Interesting. My 2017 P500 battery seems to suffer from a parasitic drain as well.
i have a winch and extra lights, both wired thru the ignition accessory harness.
in the end I installed the same quick disconnect switch as in the photo earlier, but i added a bracket to the frame just above the battery box, and ran the -ve battery cable thru it to the ground bolt on the frame just in front of the battery box. and then moved the -ve leads that were on the battery to the frame ground.
fortunately it is stored inside near a power source, so i keep a noco battery maintainer on it.
I've always gotten long life out of yuasa batteries in my Hondas throughout the years

G

Griff

Oct 29, 2016
Oklahoma
Ownership

1. 1000-5
2016 P500 is giving me fits. Each time I’ve went to start it over the last few months the battery has been dead. Tried replacing with a new battery and had a draw test done with nothing showing out of the ordinary. Have also hooked up a solar powered trickle charger to the cigarette lighter port hoping that would keep it charged as I don’t have electricity where it’s stored. Lastly, about 30% of the time once I do get it started with hep from an external battery pack, the electric shift doesn’t work.

Any ideas? Thanks!!

I don’t know about the P500, but on my P1000 the cigarette lighter plug is dead with the key off.

J

JRF

Sep 24, 2021
Canada
Ownership

1. 520
Got 14 years on my Yuasa battery in my Yamaha Kodiak, 14,000km and still going strong. Hard to believe I know, but I do disconnect the battery through the winter months. Making sure it is fully charged when disconnected, then full charge before reconnecting in the early spring.

K

Kcarr22

Feb 17, 2021
Mn
Ownership

1. 500
Been busy and haven’t been able to do a whole lot on this, but I was able to bring the machine home and hook it up to a charger overnight. Went out the next day and it started up, but barely. Then after that it wouldn’t start without a jump. Also noticed that sometimes when I turn the key off and pull the key all the way out, my dash lights stay on …the speedometer, temp and check engine light all stay on. Weird deal.

J

jporsche

Oct 23, 2022
Canada
Ownership

1. 500
Been busy and haven’t been able to do a whole lot on this, but I was able to bring the machine home and hook it up to a charger overnight. Went out the next day and it started up, but barely. Then after that it wouldn’t start without a jump. Also noticed that sometimes when I turn the key off and pull the key all the way out, my dash lights stay on …the speedometer, temp and check engine light all stay on. Weird deal.

Any updates on your dash lights staying on? 2015 P500 won't start and now lights are staying on, curious if you found a solution

tracy guy

tracy guy

Nov 29, 2021
California
Ownership

1. 700-4
Take off the battery ground and put an amp meter between battery terminal and ground. Should read zero. If not you have a leak.
I have at least 10 solar battery chargers on my toys and they work well. You need a full battery to start with because they only really work to maintain a battery. I have pig tails from the terminals to a reachable plug. The plug should come with the charger and if not they are readily available.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!