Code54

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 31, 2015
Hurricane West Virginia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
Has anyone removed/disconnected the sway bar on the P500, if so where were your results. Does it soften the ride and give better wheel travel or cause poor handling and excessive body roll?

S

slacker

Feb 21, 2015
I was wondering the same thing... I took it off my rhino and it gave it more flex... but I have left it on this one so far..

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I was informed by someone who understands such things (500-700) that it makes a large difference in keeping the rubber side down.

I'm sure arguments/opinions can be made either way. I am just the messenger.

My opinion is that it would give you more flex, but that might be a bad thing if all the weight is on one rear corner and you're at a funky angle, with it the sway bar would transfer some of that load to the other side and help keep you stable and upright. If you're just looking for a better ride on level ground yeah should be ok with out it.
I'm leaving mine on I think the ride is pretty good with the pre-load on the rear turned down( only up it when I'm carrying 4 or a cargo load) making a modified version of the Strongmade lift (for the 700 I know this is a 500 thread) front and rear, so I can get clearance back without sacrificing ride quality by jacking the preload up.

Last edited:
scott

scott

Lifetime Member
May 16, 2014
lyman, South Carolina
I leave mine hooked up also. Unhooking the sway bar gives it more articulation. I unhook mine when offroading in my jeep, but a jeep doesn't have independent suspension. A lot of people that trail ride unhook the sway bar tho. You can unhook it but not take it off completely just tie it up. Try it out and see how you like it.

Code54

Code54

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 31, 2015
Hurricane West Virginia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
Last night i had a few minutes so i figured out how to get mine off. Took a little twisting, sliding, and pulling but was able to slip it off with out doing anything other than taking the one wheel off. Been raining so I have not had a chance to try it out but if I get some free time this weekend I am going take it out in the hills and see what it is like. Worse case I need to put it back on.
I took the one off my Rhino and never noticed any negative to doing it so I thought it would be worth aa try

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I leave mine hooked up also. Unhooking the sway bar gives it more articulation. I unhook mine when offroading in my jeep, but a jeep doesn't have independent suspension. A lot of people that trail ride unhook the sway bar tho. You can unhook it but not take it off completely just tie it up. Try it out and see how you like it.

Might give it a try once I get my lift made, just to see difference in ride. Hoping the radial EVOs I bought smooth it out some. Kinda worried it may be too soft.

hambone

hambone

Mar 14, 2015
Southeast Indiana
Has anybody done this and been out on the trails?
When I got mine all my buddies wanted me to get wheel spacers and all to make more stable.
So far after 400 miles of trail riding, I have managed to keep t upright.
But I have wondered about the rear bar. Who is going to be the guinea pig???

scott

scott

Lifetime Member
May 16, 2014
lyman, South Carolina
Wes, have you tried it yet? I think i'm going to unhook mine this week and try it out Saturday got to move some deer stands so i will see how it does.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Family commitments have me home bound for the next couple weeks.

Reactions: scott
Springer

Springer

Apr 2, 2014
I have had mine off for at least a year now. I see no downside whatsoever. At Windrock the guy riding behind me said that he could tell it was disconnected and he could see that the Suspension was articulating very well keeping the machine more level and stable through the rough stuff.

advertisement
I

Ichybod

Apr 25, 2015
Tucson, Arizona
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-3
I have a couple questions about removing sway bars.
Number one, other than some perceived improvement in ride and handling, why would you remove a structural element that the manufacturer, in its infinite wisdom, determined was necessary? Or is it really necessary?
Number two, does it void the warranty by doing so?

Code54

Code54

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 31, 2015
Hurricane West Virginia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
I have mine off and find it handles MUCH better off road and really didn't notice much of a change on road but I really don't run it real hard on the pavement.

Code54

Code54

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 31, 2015
Hurricane West Virginia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
Shouldn't void anything but maybe the back suspension warranty but you could just bolt it back on if you had a problem and were concerned.
As for removing it - I believe they have them more for liability then anything. Most true off roader don't run sway bars and some factory machines (Power ram for example) have factory disconnects for better off road performance.

Reactions: Hondasxs
Springer

Springer

Apr 2, 2014
I have a couple questions about removing sway bars.
Number one, other than some perceived improvement in ride and handling, why would you remove a structural element that the manufacturer, in its infinite wisdom, determined was necessary? Or is it really necessary?
Number two, does it void the warranty by doing so?
I first got the idea when Yamaha recalled the Rhino. They removed the sway bar and added wheel spacers to make them more stable. Well I already had wider wheels so there was no way I was taking it and having any work done to it. I just removed it myself and never looked back. I think the sway bars are more for high speed cornering which will probably never happen on my Pioneer. I also like the improved slow speed ride. Will it void warranty? Probably only if I roll it during the warranty period. If that happens it's all on me anyway.

I

Ichybod

Apr 25, 2015
Tucson, Arizona
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-3
I first got the idea when Yamaha recalled the Rhino. They removed the sway bar and added wheel spacers to make them more stable. Well I already had wider wheels so there was no way I was taking it and having any work done to it. I just removed it myself and never looked back. I think the sway bars are more for high speed cornering which will probably never happen on my Pioneer. I also like the improved slow speed ride. Will it void warranty? Probably only if I roll it during the warranty period. If that happens it's all on me anyway.
Have you removed the sway bar on your Pioneer; and, if so, how does ride and handling of the Pioneer (P500 I assume) without the sway bar compare with the Rhino without the sway bar?
If Yamaha recalled the Rhino to remove the sway bar, then maybe, as Code54 says, they were initially put on for liability purposes over performance considerations.
Thanks for the info.

bobbyhill

bobbyhill

Pay to Play and I'm broke all around!
Junior Moderator
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Apr 8, 2015
Smithfield, VA
Ownership

1. 700-4
Welcome to the Club Ichybod!!!

bobbyhill

bobbyhill

Pay to Play and I'm broke all around!
Junior Moderator
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Apr 8, 2015
Smithfield, VA
Ownership

1. 700-4
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
How much different does it act going around side of hills.Does it want to tip more with it off.
If you mean in off camber angles, the P5 does a whole lot better job keeping all four feet on the ground with the sway bar removed. If most of your driving is trails, which I assume that's why you bought a trail machine, you'll be far happier with it disconnected. Do a test, it literally takes 5 minutes each side to disconnect, you can leave it in place disconnected and ride it for a while, if you don't agree with the vast majority that it improves your stability, reconnect it.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!