P500 v/s P1000. Whose got both?

J

Jshell3

How many of you can speak from personal experience comparing the two?

I have a P500. Looking to go to a P1k5 deluxe. Research stages presently.

So my question to those of you who own (have owned) each of these...

Do you ever find yourself driving the one, suddenly wishing you were on the other?
What's that situation like?

Thanks for your input in advance...
I know the Takeover is approaching and I'm trying to get a handle on this prior to my arrival at RRB!

Last edited by a moderator:
J

JTW

I suggest P1000-5!!

Because you can't do 65 in a p500!!

You can't haul 5 people in a p500!!

You can't have factory power steering in a p500!

You can't dump your bed in a p500!!

You can't put it in turf mode in a p500!!

You can't lock your diff in a p500!!

It rides waaaaay better than a p500!!

Now... in fairness!

You can't drive down a 50" trail in a p1000. But really the only place I notice it is up top. The wheel base makes little difference with power steering in the woods or on a tight trail. And that's around here where it's mostly old 4 wheeler trails..

AND... I do miss my box & basket setup. But I'm working on that.

Oh... and the 1000 doesn't have a damn parking brake but for less than $50 you can add a line lock!

I liked the p500 but I always wanted more from it.. I knew it was a sxs 4 wheeler and I accepted that before I bought it.. but it just wasn't enough. I found myself rather having a 4 wheeler or a larger machine than the p500. I'm very happy now as it suits my needs better. I really think you will be too!

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4

Do you ever find yourself driving the one, suddenly wishing you had ridden in on the other?

I know the Takeover is approaching and I'm trying to get a handle on this prior to my arrival at RRB!
I wouldn't compare the two or criticise the P5 as was done above, the P5 wasn't made to go 65 for obvious reasons, and it has no real design features that give it the utility of others. They both have there purpose and if I were you I'd get both. But strictly for trail riding, my favorite is the P5!

Last edited:
swsebek

swsebek

Red,White And Blue Collar Soul
Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
Get both if you can afford it, best of both worlds

Reactions: Montecresto
popeye

popeye

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2016
kapowsin, Wa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My guess is if he could afford both he probably would not have asked the question.

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Jshell3
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
My guess is if he could afford both he probably would not have asked the question.

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk
He already owns the P5. ;)

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
advertisement
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Well. The math looks a lot like $13k minus $7k = $6k stock (again). Plus a new trailer.
Oh no, the new trailer part sucks.

Tigermark

Tigermark

Outside looking in.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
@JACKAL @Tigermark
Please see @JTW post above. The 500 is a great low speed trail goat, that does well in the type of trails we frequent. Rolling hills, heavily wooded. It's primarily for my wife who likes having the feeling of security provided by the roll cage over riding a 4wheeler. I had a rancher that I sold to get the 1000 . If you can only afford a single machine, I would go with the 1000 if you don't have to worry about trail width restrictions . It's overall capabilities make it a more enjoyable ride to own.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Hey, where's the love for the P5, lmao. :D

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

Do you ever find yourself driving the one, suddenly wishing you were on the other?

I have both and there really is no comparison. I got the P500 for the 50" width, believing it would end up my go to machine for firewood, hunting, and restricted width trails. After getting the P1K it is my default go to machine. I have had the P5 5 months longer than the P1K, and the P1K has been at dealership for 5 months of the past 12 months, that being said the P1K has 1300 miles and the P5 just over 300 miles on it.

Why the P1K, I like the ride, room, and power steering. Me being lazy jump in it for nearly everything. If I was picking one and didn't need 5 seats would get the 3 seater P1K as the lack of rear roll cage would be much better for trails, I have pounded the crap on my P1K5D rear cage on trees and rocks.

IdahoPioneer

IdahoPioneer

Oct 16, 2015
Emmett, Idaho
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I just bought a 1000-5 and am keeping the 500. I absolutely love the 500 for the tight trails. As soon as things open up I get irritated and want more speed and power. Also we have a dog and it's very cramped with 2 people and a large dog in the 500. We make it work getting to and from the cabin but the 1000 will allow the pup to come on more adventures. I'm guessing while riding the 1000 I'll end up finding a trail here or there that's too narrow and be a bit miffed but I figure I can just mark them on the gps and come back with the little one later. Time will tell but I'm betting they will both compliment each other nicely.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I just bought a 1000-5 and am keeping the 500. I absolutely love the 500 for the tight trails. As soon as things open up I get irritated and want more speed and power. Also we have a dog and it's very cramped with 2 people and a large dog in the 500. We make it work getting to and from the cabin but the 1000 will allow the pup to come on more adventures. I'm guessing while riding the 1000 I'll end up finding a trail here or there that's too narrow and be a bit miffed but I figure I can just mark them on the gps and come back with the little one later. Time will tell but I'm betting they will both compliment each other nicely.
Indeed, owning them both is the ultimate.

Reactions: JACKAL
J

Jshell3

So. I've had my P1k-5 for 20 miles now. Weather's been pretty good. Not too cold.
Right out of the bag, I can now say (from having previously owned the P500)

The P1K seems to roll better.

I know that sounds silly. It's twice the motor and more than double the HP... but it's also bigger and WAY heavier.

Even still, I'm almost always pleasantly surprised at how well it moves from a dead stop.

I think it's because the P,R,N,H,L lever is mounted on the dash. Engaging the transmission from there and not the paddle shifters like on the P500. There's no clunk or surge forward when you engage the drivetrain like there is on the P500. Instead, it just rolls when you mash the pedal. Easily.

Me like!

J

Jshell3

I do miss my box & basket setup. But I'm working on that.

This is true. For the P500 to have almost NO factory storage, the bare rack on the back lends itself well to build WAY more storage than you'll get out of the 5 seater... especially w the rack and basket set-up we used.

I've still got machetes, hand saws, ropes and, ratchet straps I dug out of Blueberry before I sold it, that can not fit in the P1k. (Even w the factory glovebox)

It's got 0 storage under the hood, too.

The P500, had enough space under the hood to hold a full tarp (storage cover).

Reactions: JTW
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!