P500 P500 Winch Power Cable Routing

Keebler

Keebler

Nov 1, 2020
St Charles, Mo
Ownership

1. 500
I am installing a Badland 3500 on my P500. The winch mounting is simple, the wiring is not complex, however I am trying to determine the best routing for the power and ground from the winch relay to the battery terminals. I have the winch relay under the hood and have run the power to the battery along the inside of the right side frame rail, with the aid of extension cables because the ones that came with the winch were to short. Is that what others are doing?

Reactions: J80
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
I've found the easiest route for all the electrical I've installed that runs front to back, drop the skids and open up the plastics under the seat. Fish down the firewall and route with other cables down the passenger side frame rail and zip tie accordingly. Having access under the seat plastics makes for less under the machine work. Dress in loom if necessary, especially audio stuff.

MI-Trailblazer

MI-Trailblazer

Apr 4, 2019
Parma, MI
Ownership

1. 500
Yep, did same thing as Trigger except I did not remove all the under-seat plastics and had to wiggle and twist different ways to fish it all through. But same routing and my KFI came with more than long enough cables.

J

Jdh3

Dec 28, 2020
Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
Another option is to run a long cable from the battery and install a fuse box under the hood. You can then more easily run other things like lights, sound, etc.
D154CB76 04C8 44ED 9E8E D7CA4123C71F

L

L_rich201

Jul 4, 2020
texas
Ownership

1. 500
how long was your cable from the battery the the fuse box? the cables that come with my winch are 6 foot and thats not long enough.

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
how long was your cable from the battery the the fuse box? the cables that come with my winch are 6 foot and thats not long enough.
He added a separate cable. Some of us added 4 or 6 guage wire from the battery box to the hood area.

L

L_rich201

Jul 4, 2020
texas
Ownership

1. 500
im going to get 6 gauge , im just wondering how long should i get

Bigtee

Bigtee

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2017
Grayson, KY
Ownership

1. 520

2. 1000-5
I would get 12’ to 14’ depending on how you run it back. Get some good terminals for it too. If you have a little extra you’ll probably need it at some point.

advertisement
Keebler

Keebler

Nov 1, 2020
St Charles, Mo
Ownership

1. 500
I have a Badland 3500 and the cables from the battery to the relay were not long enough. I bought new 12 foot cables and ran the new black one instead of the one provided, had about a foot extra For the red cable I ran the one provided from the battery to the inline circuit breaker that was included in the winch kit. Then I removed the 6 foot long cable attached to the other end of the inline circuit breaker that was to go to the relay and replaced in with the 12 footer I bought, had about 4 foot extra on that. I ran both cables from the battery along the inside of the passenger side frame rail and zip tied to the existing wire harness sheath.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!