P520 or P700 or overkill

T

TeamTanner

Mar 23, 2024
SW Ohio
Ownership

1. Looking to buy
I have been wanting to get a SXS to use around the yard (2 hilly acres). No interest in trail riding. Half of the homeowners in my 15-home subdivision own a SXS. Kubota and Massimo are the brands they own. Search began hoping to buy something under $10K. I have a bad habit of over-researching to the point I can't make a decision.

I started finding ones with good reliability and price and that sent me towards Kawasaki. Probably their base Mule would be all I need and keep me under $10K, but then I started digging more and decided I should go for the 4010 to get the power steering. I found two 4010s at a local dealer. I kept researching, and the next day they were both sold. They are also a Honda dealer, and had one for $15K, didn't pay any attention because the sales guy said that was more machine that I needed.

More research and after watching a YouTube video of a big guy trying to dump a sand filled 4010 really struggle, I decided I better look for a SXS that had assisted dumping. All this lead me to Honda. I thought the 520 is right for me. But, you can't find one anywhere. I called a few dealers in my area and they have no idea when they may be available. So, I started looking at the 700, and discovered you have to get the deluxe to get power steering. Looks like you have to go up to the 1000 to get a easy lever to dump. Now I am way over by hope of $10K, and I believe with Honda you have to pay not only MSRP, but another $1K for destination fees. Ouch.

Now I start looking for used, and find two 2016 700 DX five hours away from me. One is $9K, the other $10K. Am I really smart to purchase an eight-year old SXS just to stay within $10K? Only positive is that they are blue :)

Thank you for those of you who took the time to read my first, lengthy post. Look forward to your opinions.

npaden

npaden

Mar 22, 2024
Lubbock, Texas
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Lots of difference between want and need. LOL.

All of the machines you are talking about are overkill for 2 acres.

If you are really wanting a true dump bed, most of these machines are not what you are really looking for. I think Kubota is going to be about the only one that will be able to truly dump a full load of material. I had a Polaris Ranger with an assisted dump bed and that's exactly what they are "assisted". As far as I know Kubota is the only one you push a button and it dumps for you.

I would be looking at a small tractor with a front loader that can be used for a lot of other things besides riding around in it.

Mopower58

Mopower58

CST is the Best!
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2017
Crystal Springs,Ms.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Welcome from Mississippi. If you load a Honda bed with sand it’s still going to be a struggle to dump it unless you leave the tailgate down and load it heavy toward the rear. I love my 1000 but that is going to blow your 10,000.00 budget. I think the Kubota is the only hydraulic assisted dump bed sxs.

T

TeamTanner

Mar 23, 2024
SW Ohio
Ownership

1. Looking to buy
For only 2 acres, why not a dump trailer behind lawn mower
Yes, why I included "overkill" in my title. I have a John Deere LX280 and Scag Liberty mower. Mow with the Scag on the flat parts of the front yard, and mow with the JD on the rest that is too hilly for the Scag. Attach a dump cart to the JD. Guess a SXS is a want rather than a need.

silvertrd09

silvertrd09

Lifetime Member
Feb 17, 2018
Texas
Ownership

1. 500
Ok, here's my .02, since you're property is hilly get a machine that has gears for the engine braking. A p500 or p520 would be perfect. You can search on the web and find people who have installed Hydraulic actuators on the beds. Good luck in your search.

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
If you truly have no interest in trail riding and using one for work only I'd lean towards the Kubota or Kawi Mule. A P500/520 will be more than you need but you'll have to add quite a bit to get one to the same level as a 'bota/Mule for yard work. Also, unless you go with a Pioneer 1000, any Honda is gonna have a locked rear diff which will chew up your yard. Not sure about the 'bota/mules, but I'm guessing they have a Turf Mode

P

pappyo

Dec 19, 2013
1st. Welcome from upstate central New York

Many good people and information on Honda Forum & ( they like Pictures )

Fyi: A Few are more full of themselves than others

Plenty of good input above ( Plenty more to come )

Do to inflation <> suggest may be <> one to do all <> Tractor / loader / mower ( Plenty of other Accessories available )

Time & money left
Buy a P500/ P520 for <> FUN & take a Friend

Live to be SOS <> SLOWER/OLDER/ Smarter

Last edited:
B

Buckeye33

Jan 4, 2024
Ohio
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Welcome from another new member from Ohio. I am in a very similar situation and have been looking at the same machines you have mentioned. It’s interesting that my logic follows your progression through the alternative options you mentioned. As a life long Honda ATV guy I too am drawn to the 520. It is becoming increasingly obvious Honda has little regard for this product or the buyers in this small machine market. I’ve had the opportunity to drive a few of the Mule SX models as well as a 4010. Based on what you described my opinion is that the Mule SX model would suit you well. The price tag as well as the turf mode and the respectable capacity are all positives. I’m only holding on a little while longer to see what the situation is for the Honda 520 because I do have a little more property and some desire to take a little one on some mild trail rides. I still have my ATV so I can make use of it until I decide.

lowranger

lowranger

Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2020
Northern California
Ownership

1. Talon X
I have been wanting to get a SXS to use around the yard (2 hilly acres). No interest in trail riding. Half of the homeowners in my 15-home subdivision own a SXS. Kubota and Massimo are the brands they own. Search began hoping to buy something under $10K. I have a bad habit of over-researching to the point I can't make a decision.

I started finding ones with good reliability and price and that sent me towards Kawasaki. Probably their base Mule would be all I need and keep me under $10K, but then I started digging more and decided I should go for the 4010 to get the power steering. I found two 4010s at a local dealer. I kept researching, and the next day they were both sold. They are also a Honda dealer, and had one for $15K, didn't pay any attention because the sales guy said that was more machine that I needed.

More research and after watching a YouTube video of a big guy trying to dump a sand filled 4010 really struggle, I decided I better look for a SXS that had assisted dumping. All this lead me to Honda. I thought the 520 is right for me. But, you can't find one anywhere. I called a few dealers in my area and they have no idea when they may be available. So, I started looking at the 700, and discovered you have to get the deluxe to get power steering. Looks like you have to go up to the 1000 to get a easy lever to dump. Now I am way over by hope of $10K, and I believe with Honda you have to pay not only MSRP, but another $1K for destination fees. Ouch.

Now I start looking for used, and find two 2016 700 DX five hours away from me. One is $9K, the other $10K. Am I really smart to purchase an eight-year old SXS just to stay within $10K? Only positive is that they are blue :)

Thank you for those of you who took the time to read my first, lengthy post. Look forward to your opinions.
This is another option. I went with one for hauling dirt and gravel. It won't tear up the yard. It's 4 wheel drive with low range and a rear locker, with a push of a button it dumps the whole load. It's rated at hauling 750 lbs, but I have gone over that with no problem. I added the ATV tires and put a 2" lift on it and it was $7,000 with low miles.
IMG 20210415 165134832

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
This is another option. I went with one for hauling dirt and gravel. It won't tear up the yard. It's 4 wheel drive with low range and a rear locker, with a push of a button it dumps the whole load. It's rated at hauling 750 lbs, but I have gone over that with no problem. I added the ATV tires and put a 2" lift on it and it was $7,000 with low miles.View attachment 422686
Dammit man......now I'm shopping for a mini-truck 😆

D

dweber23tr

May 21, 2023
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The mini trucks have gained popularity and now are just as much as a sxs. They used to be about half the cost. I looked at them pretty close before purchase and for needing to fit more than 2 people, it was a no go.

lowranger

lowranger

Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2020
Northern California
Ownership

1. Talon X
The mini trucks have gained popularity and now are just as much as a sxs. They used to be about half the cost. I looked at them pretty close before purchase and for needing to fit more than 2 people, it was a no go.
Yes, definitely won't fit more than two people in it, that's for sure. But it is a little work horse that fits in tight places, so fits my needs.

T

TeamTanner

Mar 23, 2024
SW Ohio
Ownership

1. Looking to buy
These are all great points. Thanks so much. Pappyo is right on, as one of the reasons I was looking for a SXS was so that two people could ride at the same time. A basic Mule seems to be less than all, and likely all I need. Just drawn to the Honda brand.

HiFive

HiFive

Apr 17, 2019
West Central Fl.
Ownership

1. 500
It's better to have more than less. P500or520 with dump cart would be ideal plus with a wench you can use for fencing. Check Facebook marketplace for used sxs deals. Different tires will help with turf problems. Sunf set of 4 tires $300 street ,sand gravel type tire . Amazon.

IMG 20240221 113918 IMG 20240221 113907 IMG 20240221 113733 IMG 20240221 113722

Last edited:

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!