BOX1

P500 P520 - Turf Protection & Accessories

T

tonydotigr

Feb 2, 2021
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Looking at a P520 and have a couple of questions.
  1. Is there a way to unlock the rear differential to not tear up a lawn? I'd like to use it for yard work and not have it tear up the yard. The Polaris has VersaTrac Turf Mode which unlocks the rear differential.

2. Are the P500 and P520 accessories interchangeable? Example: Roof, Windshield, etc.

HUCK

HUCK

Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2016
ARIZONA
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X
Looking at a P520 and have a couple of questions.
  1. Is there a way to unlock the rear differential to not tear up a lawn? I'd like to use it for yard work and not have it tear up the yard. The Polaris has VersaTrac Turf Mode which unlocks the rear differential.

2. Are the P500 and P520 accessories interchangeable? Example: Roof, Windshield, etc.
#1 NO #2 yes

HUCK

HUCK

Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2016
ARIZONA
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X
How bad is the Pioneer 500 on lawn?
Don't have any lawn so I cannot answer . The RZR 900 trail is an awesome machine and blows the P5 away in every aspect EXCEPT , it is belt drive and you can't shift it . I have the RZR 900 trail , Pioneer 500 and a Talon x . I ride / drive the Pioneer most then the Talon and once in a while the RZR .

T

tonydotigr

Feb 2, 2021
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Thanks for the feedback. Think I'll end up with a Mule SX XC LE instead. Will be used mainly in the yard and with that solid axle I'll be creating more work for myself. Really wish you could unlock the rear, the P520 seems to be an amazing machine otherwise.

KYhillbilly

KYhillbilly

Jan 4, 2017
Ashland, KY
Ownership

1. 500
I have a Mule SX for yard work being able to unlock the rear diff makes a huge difference, my Pioneer tears up the yard. That being said I only use the Mule for yard work unless someone has borrowed my P500

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Thanks for the feedback. Think I'll end up with a Mule SX XC LE instead. Will be used mainly in the yard and with that solid axle I'll be creating more work for myself. Really wish you could unlock the rear, the P520 seems to be an amazing machine otherwise.
Hope you can find a Kawasaki forum as good as members here. FYI, there is a Other SxS Brands section at the bottom of the home page. Good luck on your new ride.

S

skinnyman

May 22, 2020
ohio
Ownership

1. 500
I test drove a Mule just like you described SX XC LE. This was about two/three years ago. It has one of the best seats I sat in. It is more of a ,well, Mule than the P500. It too was loud and rough riding but had better ergonomics with controls and turf mode. Steering effort was about the same as a P500,not as good as a Polaris and I have not found a better manual steering UTV than a Club Car XRT 500. TEST drive both then decide.

futzin

futzin

Lifetime Member
Sep 10, 2019
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500

2. 520
Hope you can find a Kawasaki forum as good as members here. FYI, there is a Other SxS Brands section at the bottom of the home page. Good luck on your new ride.

See, that's the thing. This forum adds so much to the ownership experience. For me anyway.

And I feel the P500 tranny is better for some work (vs. a belt). We used my buddy's Kawa (briefly) to help me with my brush puller (pulling sapling trunks). We thought his 750 might be better. That belt did NOT like it. Switched back to my buggy.

But yeah, tough on lawns . . .

W

Wiley

Nov 14, 2020
WV
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

You might also look at Mule Pro MX which is a heck of a lot more capable, smoother riding, and much more power and speed than the 14hp, 20 mph, SX.

Reactions: J80
S

skinnyman

May 22, 2020
ohio
Ownership

1. 500
If you do not need a narrow machine like the P 500 and are OK with a belt you have many choices with the turf saver rear axle. Look at a John Deere or Arctic cat/Textron for example.

A neighbor of mine bought a Cushman. That is one QUIET and SMOOTH machine. At idle and going down the rode one doesn't have to yell to be heard. Sweet. It is a large machine with lots of storage that you don't have to buy separate or get creative and make.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
This thread crossed my mind yesterday as it's talking about the working aspect of the P5.
Yesterday morning I got up at 4:30 and headed out to the garage to plow before taking off to work. Mother nature dumped on us overnight and it was still snowing, temps were tanking by the minute and heavy wind advisories in effect. The true definition of a blizzard.
Walking out there in the dark and silence, no one on the roads yet and very few even up yet, it's just you and your machine. This is not the time to be worrying if it will start and be ready to work it's ass off. She fired up and went right to work in the harshest conditions. You can think it's no big deal and that other brands do the same everyday. The thing is, this machine is 6 yrs old now and my 5th season plowing with it. We've had many mornings like this one and it's never let me down.
It's not the fastest or prettiest, lacks HP and suspension, and you definitely won't be the envy of all your friends. But when I'm alone miles from anywhere or getting in it at 4:30 in a blizzard, I wouldn't take any utv over this one.
This one's a true Honda, zero regrets. FWIW

alloutdoors

alloutdoors

Jan 21, 2018
US
Ownership

1. 500

2. 700-4

3. Do not currently own
I owned one the little mules years ago and like it for the reasons mentioned for general yard work; overall, I found it to be a very nice small unit for work/utility around the yard and the "turf" mode is awesome. In fact, if you don't plan to run it in any mud, etc., then you might look around and get a smoking deal on a 2wd model...

I noticed the newer ones are no longer carb/choke start as well.

Reactions: J80 and Mudder
gatorguy

gatorguy

May 15, 2015
Florida
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
A P500 is manageable on lawn turf, you just need to plan your turns and be a little conscientious about it. You can turn as tight as you want if your aren't in the throttle very hard. I use my P500 to spread fertilizer, aerate, drag pastures and pull a sweeper to pick up pine cones. The key to turns is keep them wide; if you must turn sharp, do it with as little throttle as possible.

Reactions: J80 and bms
S

Splorin

Oct 14, 2018
Maine
Ownership

1. 500
And a few 3 or 5 point turns now and then....

Arizona

Arizona

Sep 1, 2016
Casa Grande & Show Low Arizona
Ownership

1. 500
On my P-500 and Commander, I'd like a turf mode on both just to stop my back tires from squealing on all my driveway concrete even with slow, wide, gentle turns. I'll be going 1mph. or less making a slow wide turn, rear tires squealing because of my concrete, and the neighbors will look out their door thinking I'm racing around but I'm not. They hear my tires squealing, then look confused when they see I'm barely moving, but they don't have enough sense to realize the squealing is from my tires on my concrete while turning. Explaining it to them wouldn't help much. "Hey he's out there racing around again squealing his tires! They look out... "He's racing around again doing about... 1mph.?"

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!