P500 P520 Vehicle Recall

G

grease monkey

Jan 24, 2022
illinois
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Received a letter from Honda today for an emissions recall on my 2022 P520. Letter states that this vehicle may have an incorrect ECU installed from the factory that is not in emission certification compliance. Seems to start/run just fine. My vehicle build date is January 2022. Anyone else get a recall letter?

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Received a letter from Honda today for an emissions recall on my 2022 P520. Letter states that this vehicle may have an incorrect ECU installed from the factory that is not in emission certification compliance. Seems to start/run just fine. My vehicle build date is January 2022. Anyone else get a recall letter?
Would you mind posting an image of the letter for us?

G

grease monkey

Jan 24, 2022
illinois
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Here's the letter
P520 Recall Notice

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Thanks, We like having these for visibility.

This is the first I have seen of this.
You will have to take it in to get this done.
A good dealer can do it while you wait.
But you may have to request that. lol.

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Is your machine red? Or is it one of the slower colors?

There was a rumor a while back that red machines do get faster ecu’s from the factory. 🤔maybe there was a factory mixup and they let some mismatched ecu’s/colors get out the door? The “emissions” recall is probably just to try to keep that little trade secret “rumor” under wraps. We real Honda fans know that red is the fastest color though.
#RideRed
#NTC

S

Splorin

Oct 14, 2018
Maine
Ownership

1. 500
Always wary of these ‘recall, reflashes’. Hate to get something back home with 10% less power. The diesel Liberty and Jetta owners back in the day were some po’d. The Liberty guys wanted the ‘old’ tune back in it and the dealers wouldn’t do it. The motor was more than the trans could handle was supposedly the issue with those. May not be a big deal. First one to try it will let everyone else know if it sucks. Hopefully they got a ‘red’ tune to keep up with Ol Yella!

P

pappyo

Dec 19, 2013
How will Honda ( inspect or repair ) Effect 👉</> Already Adjusted Emissions </>👈
Such as & not linited to:
Opened Air inlet ( K& N Filter /Snorkle)
Opened exhaust ( Baffle </> Removal or Drilling </> Bigger Outlet Tip )
Added </>Power Vision Tuner
Will Honda inspect & repair loose Power Vision Flash </> Requireing repurchase from Power Vision?

👎???????????👎
No such thing as Errors in Todays Work Force.
Do not take my word for it JUST ASK THEM .

R

Rdrcr

Aug 16, 2022
WA
Ownership

1. 520
Always wary of these ‘recall, reflashes’. Hate to get something back home with 10% less power. The diesel Liberty and Jetta owners back in the day were some po’d. The Liberty guys wanted the ‘old’ tune back in it and the dealers wouldn’t do it. The motor was more than the trans could handle was supposedly the issue with those. May not be a big deal. First one to try it will let everyone else know if it sucks. Hopefully they got a ‘red’ tune to keep up with Ol Yella!
I hear you!

I too received the recall notification yesterday on my P520.

Mike

G

grease monkey

Jan 24, 2022
illinois
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I got a gray P520 (the slowest color), and it speed limits out at the usual 39 mph. Thinking I'm going to wait on taking it in for the ECM update. Reason being, it starts when cold and runs fine. Was wondering if someone else had it done already to see if there was any noticeable difference in start-up or performance.

H

HondaTech

How will Honda ( inspect or repair ) Effect 👉</> Already Adjusted Emissions </>👈
Such as & not linited to:
Opened Air inlet ( K& N Filter /Snorkle)
Opened exhaust ( Baffle </> Removal or Drilling </> Bigger Outlet Tip )
Added </>Power Vision Tuner
Will Honda inspect & repair loose Power Vision Flash </> Requireing repurchase from Power Vision?

👎???????????👎
No such thing as Errors in Todays Work Force.
Do not take my word for it JUST ASK THEM .

Only responsible for what they sold you.

P

pappyo

Dec 19, 2013
RESPONSIBILITY </> NEVER ENTERED THE EQUASION </>👉 No Blame Game Here

Just wondering if 👉 "Honda's inspect or repair"
Only responsible for what they sold you.

Will be Positive or Negative? 👉 Effect on Present Performance?

The Unknown </> unseen </> side effects ???
Most prefer Better & not Setbacks
Better Explanation would Help. </> for better decisions.

Last edited:
H

HondaTech

RESPONSIBILITY </> NEVER ENTERED THE EQUASION </>👉 No Blame Game Here

Just wondering if 👉 "Honda's inspect or repair"

Will be Positive or Negative? 👉 Effect on Present Performance?

The Unknown?
Most prefer Better & not Setbacks
Better Explanation would Help. </> for better decisions.

I was referencing your questions on options like a K&N, PV3 etcetera.

They won't do or touch anything unless it involves the recall part and if that messes your tune up, that's not their problem.

R

Rdrcr

Aug 16, 2022
WA
Ownership

1. 520
So, I think we need to have some guys pull their ECU’s to check part numbers and post them up for a comparison.

Since my P520 is included in the recall, I’m definitely willing to pull mine.

Mike

R

Rdrcr

Aug 16, 2022
WA
Ownership

1. 520
My 2022 ECU Part number (w/ Recall Letter);

AE5B0EAE 4391 4D97 B08B EFF260664A29

grease monkey and my ECU part numbers (#38770-HL5-E62) are the same. Only the UPC codes are different...not sure if that matters.

However, now, we need some brave P520 owners to come forward and share some pictures and/or part #'s of their ECU's for a comparison. By comparing the part numbers of multiple P520's, of all ages, we should be able to see if there is any correlation with the ECU part numbers and perhaps even the units specifically effected by the recall notice. It is possible that all ECU part numbers are the same and it'll come down to the UPC codes? We won't know without further investigation.

I, and I'm sure many others, don't want to electively have their ECU's replaced with another unit that may potentially degrade the performance of the machine. I would like my P520 to have the same or better performance if a replacement is warranted.

Mike

Last edited:

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!