P700 P700 easy initial service

S

SEW

Jul 31, 2015
I did my 100 mile service myself and am glad I did. The Factory Mantance manual is good except for the diagram, needed a picture, of where TDC is for valve adjustment. All went well. Took nearly all panels off for first service to make it easy. Oil change - simple and easy. Same with valves except couldn't use mark easily.
What I found: nothing had been lub'd before delivery (shift lever, nor anything else) and is much smoother now, valve adjustment - exhaust valves were the same and 0.001" tight - left them as is, intakes , each 0.003" loose (50% loose!), adjusted them down to book figure of 0.006". It runs so much better now!!
Plan on 85-140/Lucas to try to quieten the differentials.
The Pioneer is just too easy to service and maintain to not do it yourself. And no, I'm not an ATV/ motorcycle mechanic, I'm a 68 year old dentist .

S

SEW

Jul 31, 2015
its just another patient right. lol think I'd rather work on my pioneer.

I've been a mechanic since I first started drag racing in the early 1960's. Worked as a foreign car mechanic for years. Wasn't a dentist until I was 36. Good to have varied background.

Reactions: HappyHonda
allgm1

allgm1

Lifetime Member
Mar 7, 2015
New Hampshire
Good to have varied background.

I agree, my father had me doing brake jobs, changing oil and rotating tires on the family cars as a pre-teen, then I went into the navy as an aviation electrician out of high school and worked most of my adult life as an electrician. As soon as someone finds out your an electrician, they usually have something they need done.

Reactions: SEW
Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
You took all the panels off?????
I would think a dentist would just open the hood and do everything from there.

OPEN WIDE!

S

SEW

Jul 31, 2015
You took all the panels off?????
I would think a dentist would just open the hood and do everything from there.

OPEN WIDE!
Actually, I just wanted to see what everything looked like. I'm just impressed by Honda. I found that reaching the valves from the "hood" to be a bit hard: my arms weren't long enough. I have no regrets buying this Pioneer, likely my last utv.

obxguy2000

obxguy2000

Aug 24, 2015
Sanford North Carolina
Mine is going to be due for its 1st service any day now. My LHS says they will charge me $300 for the 1st service. So I came across this thread and now am contiplating doing myself. I have only done oil changes, spark plug and wire changes, car stereo installation, etc. So what is your guy's suggestion? Pay the $300, check other shops or attempt it myself?

S

SEW

Jul 31, 2015
$300!!! For checking or adjusting the valves ( only 4 on 1 cyl ), changing oil/filter, inspect the non-adjustable idle speed, check brakes, take upper bolts out to check diff oils, see if parking brake works. Then lubricare everything that can be lubricated (see chart) since, at least mine, it possibly wasn't done before delivery. My dealer said that was to be done at the factory. Think they service such things there or expect it to be done at the dealership using the pre-delivery checklist? Answer in my case: neither did it. Your first time should take 1 1/2 hrs or less, 45 mins max after that. That works out to about $400/hr for the initial service. I think that's a bit high.

d_b

d_b

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 24, 2015
Utah
Wow. That's cheap my first service was 643.00. Had to maintain extended warranty.

advertisement
Buryit

Buryit

Sep 18, 2015
National Forest, NW AR
Pretty sure it is against the law to require a dealer service for a warranty, think this was tested in court and one can have it done anywhere or diy. Just keep receipts and records.

S

SEW

Jul 31, 2015
Pretty sure it is against the law to require a dealer service for a warranty, think this was tested in court and one can have it done anywhere or diy. Just keep receipts and records.

This is correct. The burden of proof lies with the dealer/ manufacturers to prove that there was negligence involved. This was made a precedence back in the 70s +/- a decade.

bobbyhill

bobbyhill

Pay to Play and I'm broke all around!
Junior Moderator
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Apr 8, 2015
Smithfield, VA
Ownership

1. 700-4
Do we have a buy list with part #'s for the scheduled services? I'm sure we do but I think this would be a good thread to link it to.

d_b

d_b

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 24, 2015
Utah
That's not making me feel any better, lol. Considering I have a shop and all the tools and skills to do it myself. I usally don't take peoples word for things either, however this much money I decided or thought they were correct.

allgm1

allgm1

Lifetime Member
Mar 7, 2015
New Hampshire
That's not making me feel any better, lol. Considering I have a shop and all the tools and skills to do it myself. I usally don't take peoples word for things either, however this much money I decided or thought they were correct.
well it kind of a no brainer if you have the means to do your own service why not? Nobody will do a better job working on your stuff like you will as your the one who has to rely on it out it the middle of no where. That zit faced kid working at the dealership most certainly don't give a crap about your ride, he's gonna hurry his work so he can get back to doing nothing.

d_b

d_b

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 24, 2015
Utah
well it kind of a no brainer if you have the means to do your own service why not? Nobody will do a better job working on your stuff like you will as your the one who has to rely on it out it the middle of no where. That zit faced kid working at the dealership most certainly don't give a crap about your ride, he's gonna hurry his work so he can get back to doing nothing.

Yea, I learned this one. First new vehicle I've bought in thirty years lol. I trusted the zit face salesman, which I never do or will again ol.

roadturtle59

roadturtle59

Dec 4, 2015
Mine is going to be due for its 1st service any day now. My LHS says they will charge me $300 for the 1st service. So I came across this thread and now am contiplating doing myself. I have only done oil changes, spark plug and wire changes, car stereo installation, etc. So what is your guy's suggestion? Pay the $300, check other shops or attempt it myself?
My dealer in Cedar City Utah charges $97.

d_b

d_b

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 24, 2015
Utah
Be careful of the bait and switch. Verify what's included.... Checking valves, transmission fluid change, etc etc...

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!