E

elkguide

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 14, 2017
Vermont
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Going to check and adjust mine in the morning.

Yannick

Yannick

May 12, 2017
Canada Québec City
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ok guys, On my P1000 i just adjust the TURF MODE and it work great, I just have to adjust the cable under the bed, that was easy. Any tips to adjust the front diff, because i still have problems to engage the 4WD and the 4WD LOCK, no light showing ON in the display-dash.
Thx !

H

HondaTech

A quick tip on adjusting the rear cables. If when in neutral and 2WD the middle cable guide (ferrell) or whatever you want to call it is touching the bracket that holds the other 2 adjusters then the system will work but wont indicate. Make sure when in N and 2WD that adjuster isnt touching. This is after adjusting it the way Honda says.

Dragon21

Dragon21

In my defense, I was left unsupervised
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
glad i found this thread. Mine recently stopped going into turf or 4wd lock. Will get to this sometime this week to make the adjustment.

Reactions: LarryAmboy
Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
glad i found this thread. Mine recently stopped going into turf or 4wd lock. Will get to this sometime this week to make the adjustment.

Another helpful hint on the tuf/2WD lock is to remember that "Tight is Turf".

You can put it in Neutral (on a flat surface ;) ) and switch between 2WD and Turf. When in Turf and Neutral the back cable should be pulled tight. When in 2WD and Neutral the rear cable should be loose. It should also be loose when in Park.

Most of the time the instructions in the manual will get you adjusted right, on some machines (like mine) some further "tweaking" is needed to get it to do it repeatedly and it is easier to see what is going on with the machine in neutral.

Hope this helps.

utvmi

utvmi

Lifetime Member
Jun 1, 2017
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have the LE with the I4 WD and just adjusted the cables in the box they were way out of alignment, But I still have no lights coming on saying 2wd Lock or even 4wd drive ?? Can some else on here with an LE say if theirs says 2wd, 2 wd Lock, or 4wd in the dash section with picture of tires ..Thanks

M

MBPIONEER

Jun 3, 2016
Warren, Manitoba
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have the LE with the I4 WD and just adjusted the cables in the box they were way out of alignment, But I still have no lights coming on saying 2wd Lock or even 4wd drive ?? Can some else on here with an LE say if theirs says 2wd, 2 wd Lock, or 4wd in the dash section with picture of tires ..Thanks
Pop the hood. And look towards the steering column. You will have a cable with a tie rod end that is disconnected and missing a nut. But because you tightened up the cables under the rear floor. It won't be able to reach where it should be. Once you see that cable disconnected. You will figure it out.

Good luck.

Reactions: utvmi
utvmi

utvmi

Lifetime Member
Jun 1, 2017
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I finally got everything to work.

I used floor jack and got both rear tires off the ground so you can freely spin them.

1 Key on and the (ENGINE OFF) so dash lights where on the Whole process !!

2 Park and 2WD Rear tires locked

3 Adjusted the selector arm so it was perfect in between the selector case lugs both sides

4 Then put into N & Turf and spun tires the where unlocked and would spin opposite directions.

5 Nothing light on dash at this point.

6 N & 2WD tires would still spin opposite nothing light on dash, Rear Cable is tight.

7 Park & 2wd moved tries they lock and can't move.

8 Checked the selector arm perfect between the selector case lugs both sides

9 Losend the rear cable adjuster 4 turns or so

same thing in step 6 soo back to step 7-9

10 N & 2WD spun tires, Hear loud click and the rear tires locked up, will only spin same direction, Light on the Dash came on 1st time ever light has worked and come on.

Tested the I4WD and Now that light is coming on...:D

Honda Needs to get there Sh*t together and have this stuff adjusted and working at that plant. I test drove a unit on the floor at dealer and it also never light up, so I have to believe that one is not adjusted correctly also...:rolleyes:

Here is pics of what the dash displays with the New I4WD system with everything adjusted and working properly

Here is Turf Mode
2017 07 22 162539

Here is 2WD Rear Locked the center of axles blacked out.

2017 07 22 152816

Here is the I4WD notice the top axle center never black out, b/c they don't lock with the new system.

2017 07 22 152831

Last edited:
RustyD58

RustyD58

Jul 10, 2017
Wyoming
Ownership

1. 1000-5
***CABLE SUMMARY***

Here's the run down on these cables folks....per the Honda Service Manual....

Two Spots of adjustment, they do two different things.

1: Shift Lever Adjustment (P-N-H-L)
2: Drive Mode Lever Adjustment (2WD-TURF...ect)

BOTH of mine very much needed adjustment at 20hrs/100miles...cables always stretch when new.

Shift Lever:
Very important, does your SxS lurch, pop out of gear, late clutch engage/disengage?
This adjusts under the hood, under the battery, very important.
1: Remove hood, battery, and the black access panel underneath battery.
2: You will then see the cable, sitting in its "stay", 19mm lock nuts holding its position.
3: Place SxS in Neutral & 2WD.
4: Loosen both holding nuts, got back to the SxS cab. **Do not shift from N**
5: With out leaving N, check the Shift Lever's "vertical free play" (wobble), it should be CENTERED.
-------------Not favoring the up(Park) direction, or down(High) direction.
-------------Mine was heavily favoring the up direction, toward park...
6: Adjust the lock nuts until the free-play is centered, I needed to tighten the top nut.
7: Once happy, tighten the lock nuts 20ft-lbs and re-check.

This solved all the little issues my SxS had developed at break in. It was lurching when taking off from a stop, very annoying when pulling onto trailer or into garage. And when braking to a stop the clutch was disengaging late.

Drive Mode Lever:
1: Place SxS levers in Park and 2WD.
2: Jack one side off ground, rotate one wheel, this ensures full LOCK cable position.
3: Dump the bed, remove access panel in the driver side rear passenger foot well.
4: Remove four 10mm bolts on cable housing cover.
5: You will see:
---------Two cables coming in on outside, one in center exiting to rear diff.
---------All three are in a holder swiveling "arm".
6: Adjust the two outside cable's until the "arm" is centered between the housing's four tick marks.
7: Then adjust the middle cable so its pivot pin is flush with the "arms" index line.
--------Check that there is at least 1/4'' (6mm) gap between this pivot pin and rear of the arm's guide hole.

It should look like this when finished:

View attachment 11625
Followed the instructions and now its works like a charm.
I also found a missing Bolt on the transmission that holds the shift cable. Added that and tightensd them both down and that really made a difference with shifting

20170628 210605

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I also have the LE, i noticed that it does the dash indicater does not change when the shifter is changed. It takes a little movement left and right while moving forward before indicator changes.

advertisement
utvmi

utvmi

Lifetime Member
Jun 1, 2017
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I also have the LE, i noticed that it does the dash indicater does not change when the shifter is changed. It takes a little movement left and right while moving forward before indicator changes.
Thats 100% correct, that why when adjusting the cables it has to have both wheels of the ground so you can spin them by hand to get the unit to lock up, unlock and then indicate via the lights on the dash.

It was the only way and the fastest method to get the cables adjusted properly and get the dash lights working properly also....;)

crazychris

crazychris

Oct 26, 2017
redfeild arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have tried adjusting these cables. the light on my 2016 doesn't indicate lock dif I adjusted these cables correctly. n still have no luck. does it supposed to be in gear when adjusting? also the cable u under the dash does it supposed to be tight I can move mine with my fingers. something so simple I could be over complicating. it showed locked and u locked before I adjusted them just was being picky about how long it took for the light to either come on or off.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OnTheJob

OnTheJob

Dec 29, 2017
Bristol, NY
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I have tried adjusting these cables. the light on my 2016 doesn't indicate lock dif I adjusted these cables correctly. n still have no luck. does it supposed to be in gear when adjusting? also the cable u under the dash does it supposed to be tight I can move mine with my fingers. something so simple I could be over complicating. it showed locked and u locked before I adjusted them just was being picky about how long it took for the light to either come on or off.

My dash indicator for 2WD rarely if ever has worked. I have confirmed after these adjustments I am in Turf, 2WD, 4WD and DIFF LOCK but the dash doesn't. I got over it. My indicator is now where the shift knob is. I thought about taking it back but what a hassle.

crazychris

crazychris

Oct 26, 2017
redfeild arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
it was working slowly before I adjusted the cables I was just being picky about how slow it took for the light to come on. now I am afraid I might of made something else loose in the process.

Dragon21

Dragon21

In my defense, I was left unsupervised
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Anyone making adjustments to the cables in the box behind the driver and under the bed need to check the cable up front just behind the battery also. This is not the cable under the battery. You do not have to remove the battery to get to this one. The reason Iam saying check it first is because I have done the adjustments in the box 2 times now and each time I would start having the same issues shortly after adjustment. When I would open the little box again to ckeck things out the adjustments would be out of wack again. Well today I was messing with something unrelated and had the hood off. I notice that the cable behind the battery had fallen out of its mounting location. It is held on by a 10mm nut and the nut was missing. I put a new nut on there with a lock washer and some blue lock tight and adjusted the cables in the box under the bed. I can be sitting still now and go from 2wd to 4wd diff lock or any other combination in between an it shows up on the dash instantly in most cases. On ocassion I roll forward or back a few feet and it changes on the dash right away. Must be one of the nuts that the Honda assembly line workers forgot to tighten properly. View attachment 38908

View attachment 38907

just found this on mine last night. @Delton it looks like mine wasnt special

Reactions: Delton
perry

perry

Jun 13, 2016
South Dakota
Ownership

1. Talon R
Yes mine will not go out of 2 wheel lock this is the same thing that the 2016 did and the box is behind the driver seat and under the floor board back seat on the deluxe why they cannot get that right at the factory is not right!

ch33br0h

ch33br0h

Lifetime Member
Jul 7, 2018
Jardín, Antioquia - Colombia, South America!
Ownership

1. 1000-5
tons of good info here!
I was having issues going in/out of 2wd lock and Turf, - to the point that sometimes it would make a violent "clunk" after rolling a few feet.
Doing the adjustment to the FluxCapacitor behind the drivers seat got me back to happiness, but 100% lost the indicators on the dash.

I know when I'm locked in the rear as its real obvious when doing a tight turn as the inside tire will toss dirt -Also know when I'm in the i4wd as the steering gets heavy.... so not sure if I really care about the indicator on the dash... although it would be nice for all to work as it should.

Looked at TractorMan's photos and clear post on checking the cable behind battery but all mine seem tight, snug.

OnTheJob

OnTheJob

Dec 29, 2017
Bristol, NY
Ownership

1. 1000-3
tons of good info here!
I was having issues going in/out of 2wd lock and Turf, - to the point that sometimes it would make a violent "clunk" after rolling a few feet.
Doing the adjustment to the FluxCapacitor behind the drivers seat got me back to happiness, but 100% lost the indicators on the dash.

I know when I'm locked in the rear as its real obvious when doing a tight turn as the inside tire will toss dirt -Also know when I'm in the i4wd as the steering gets heavy.... so not sure if I really care about the indicator on the dash... although it would be nice for all to work as it should.

Looked at TractorMan's photos and clear post on checking the cable behind battery but all mine seem tight, snug.

If it's any consolation, it took 6 months for my dash indicator to finally "break in" and show the correct setting. works great now. I've adjusted the fluxCapacitor twice within 9 months of use so keep an eye on it. Cables are always stretching from new.

L

Leo-1950_69

Aug 2, 2019
Whitefish, Mt.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Going to check and adjust mine in the morning.
What does the yellow warning light marked, "I-4WD" signify? Mine comes on occasionally when running in hot weather, then goes out the next 'key cycle'. Thanks

D

Derek1000

May 19, 2019
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
My 2wd lock indicator will not turn , and also 4wd and diff lock will not turn on .The cable adjustments seem fine . But it only starting after i tried to make sure and adjust the cables were adjusted like shown but i Did not jack up the rear on the one side like i suppose to . I should have left it alone . lol Any HELP ?

Did you get this fixed mine is doing same thing

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!