P500 Parking brake WingNut

J

Jshell3

My Dad @HPCedotal500 complained that his parking brake would set, but not hold his bike or keep it from rolling.

Found the issue to be a missing wingnut at the end of the cable at the rear axel.

So part numbers, and what works...

There it is... $9. Honda part number 43459-HB2-000
Or (in a pinch) you can go to Home Improvement Store and buy an .80 cent stainless wingnut. But make sure it's M6 coarse thread. Provided you engineer some type of spacer collar ahead of it.

Ps... If it works on your Rancher, then it'll screw down on your Pioneer. (Rancher ATV brake cable ends are much easier to get to.)

Also, a nylon nut installed as a backup... Good idea.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: trigger
SILVER_ALERT

SILVER_ALERT

HONDA SXS Club Flounder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 6, 2016
Route 66 Oklahoma
Ownership

1. 500
Mine fell off the second time I had it out for a ride. I recalled that my parking brake did not engage untill it was pretty much all the way up as far as it would go. I got a new one from the Honda dealer (kinda ticked me off that they would not replace it under warranty) and installed it so that the brake is fully engaged at about 3/4 up, reasoning that took a little slack out of the cable that may have let it work its way off. It has stayed on so far.

Reactions: Jshell3
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
You all have me wondering. Soon as I get home, I'm checking mine to see to it that it's secure.

J

Jshell3

Mine fell off the second time I had it out for a ride. I recalled that my parking brake did not engage untill it was pretty much all the way up as far as it would go...
My parking brake lever is high and tight...

My dad first mentioned that his parking brake lever was soft... next time he spoke of it, the wingnut was gone. So, I'm sure the lack of tension on the cable / wingnut / system is the main reason those wingnuts go missing...

I mean, the brake cable is pointing straight down. With nothing to do, a wingnut will ride the threads round and round, all the way to the dirt!

Oh, and Welcome to the Forum! @SILVER_ALERT :)