P1000 Permanently remove plastic engine cover.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
I have PK3. It's 2021 model year and when I installed the cab on it I had it apart and it already had rubber installed behind and under the seat. I'm I missing something here or is this rubber different?

It is different. Not the thin sh** that Honda puts in and it goes full width and height behind the seat. Heat can't get in unless it passes through it. You don't have to take anything apart other than to remove the seat back and reinstall. Oh wait, and the center seat belt nut, take it off, put the shield in and put it back on.

WagginTail

WagginTail

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Oct 13, 2020
SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Quick shield installed. Get one. You won't regret it
20220701 165003

Bighat

Bighat

Nov 25, 2021
Gallipolis Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
It is different. Not the thin sh** that Honda puts in and it goes full width and height behind the seat. Heat can't get in unless it passes through it. You don't have to take anything apart other than to remove the seat back and reinstall. Oh wait, and the center seat belt nut, take it off, put the shield in and put it back on.
Got it. Thanks

R

rudyeng

Oct 27, 2018
Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I removed the plastic covering on all 3 of my P1000-3 SXS. I also trim the bed plastic to follow the upper (square tube) frame that runs parallel to the air box. It makes a significant difference.

The 2022 unit still requires an aftermarket radiator fan under the seat during 90+ degree temps in FL.

Best of luck

Rudy

Reactions: Smitty335
Bighat

Bighat

Nov 25, 2021
Gallipolis Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I removed the plastic covering on all 3 of my P1000-3 SXS. I also trim the bed plastic to follow the upper (square tube) frame that runs parallel to the air box. It makes a significant difference.

The 2022 unit still requires an aftermarket radiator fan under the seat during 90+ degree temps in FL.

Best of luck

Rudy
That's great to know. I may try it. If you live in Florida you ought know better than most if if helps with the heat. Thanks.

wolf359

wolf359

Nov 23, 2019
Appalachia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I removed mine back in the spring and now have several 100 miles of hot weather riding. I feel like it's made a huge difference. It keeps a lot of the heat behind the mid-panel. It's easy enough to try out so why not?

Not a step

W

willieronk

Supporting Member
May 12, 2022
MT
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I needed a quick fix and cut the silver covered blanket insulation. Placed it over hot spots and it chilled things sufficiently but there were a couple gaps where seat belts were anchored. Looking to do the better permanent solution over time.

S

Steffy

Sep 24, 2018
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
One thing I forgot to mention is that I had taken off the seat back and sealed off the complete opening of all the behind seat area with rubber and insulation. I didn't want any cold air coming in around the back of the seat and it keeps the heat out too. As far as I'm concerned the seat back shouldn't have been the only thing to keep cold or heat out. I'm quite happy with how mine is sealed now. Plus every hole/crack etc; has been sealed up as well as the shifter holes , the dash display plus every switch and the tilt steering. Mine is almost air tight now when riding and yeah I love the heat in the winter.
How did you plug the shifter holes??

Reactions: Lady01
slowdryrider

slowdryrider

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 14, 2013
Canada
How did you plug the shifter holes??
First thing was remove the dash. I then made a small frame out of 1/2" x 1/8" flat steel. That fits against the backside of the shifter opening. Once the frame was made I drilled a few holes to beable to bolt the frame to the opening using small 5/32 blots. Once I had the frame made I used a small section of motorcycle inner tube I placed the inner tube over the shifter levers . Then I stretched the tube over the frame that I made and bolted it to the backside of the lever openings. Once it was bolted and in place I stitched the open end of the tube tight against the levers. It basically stops almost all the air flow. Plus when water etc: gets in through the top it does drain out . of course once the dash is reinstalled you really can't see much except for the rubber down inside .This is the best pic that I have right now ,but you get the idea of what it looks like now.

IMG 3883

Reactions: Lady01
C

Carl sharp

Jun 27, 2022
Maine
Ownership

1. 1000-3
My buddy and I removed both of ours on p3s with no problems. I'm not sure if it would be a good idea to remove it on a p5 because the passengers might get alot more heat. The honda talon has the same engine but it doesn't have the plastic heat sheild

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!