P1000 Permanently remove plastic engine cover.

Bighat

Bighat

Nov 25, 2021
Gallipolis Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I was reading on the web the other day and found and old form where several guys had removed the plastic covers over the engine area. One said it solved the heat problem. Another suggested glueing heat sheild to the underside of the bed which would be a no brainer. Anyone heard of this or tried it? Just wondering.

JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I was reading on the web the other day and found and old form where several guys had removed the plastic covers over the engine area. One said it solved the heat problem. Another suggested glueing heat sheild to the underside of the bed which would be a no brainer. Anyone heard of this or tried it? Just wondering.
I'm guessing you have a P1K3? I've heard of people doing that yes, rode with someone that had it removed and they said it helped their rig. Never asked pros/cons but might be worth a try, you can always pop them back on.....

slowdryrider

slowdryrider

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 14, 2013
Canada
Have had covers removed since buying it used 2 yrs ago P3 . Have put on 14,000 klms. No problems have developed due to having them removed. Only left the one over the air box . I'm sure it stays cooler but because I removed them as soon as buying I have nothing to compare.

Bighat

Bighat

Nov 25, 2021
Gallipolis Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Have had covers removed since buying it used 2 yrs ago P3 . Have put on 14,000 klms. No problems have developed due to having them removed. Only left the one over the air box . I'm sure it stays cooler but because I removed them as soon as buying I have nothing to compare.
Good to know. I knew someone had to have done it.

Prntckt

Prntckt

Lifetime Member
Nov 13, 2020
Altoona, WI
Ownership

1. Talon X4
I removed mine in my P3 without any problem in 6k miles. I think it does help heat dissipate some, but a fan in the engine compartment and heat shielding under the seat made the biggest differences

GovtMule

GovtMule

NTC’s SoA, Chief Sarcasm Officer-Self Appointed
Lifetime Member
May 19, 2021
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I’ve found that the heat in my 2022 1000/3 isn’t terrible. I’ve done a fair amount of puttering around in neighborhoods and hauled multiple loads of mulch in 95 degree temps yesterday. It is far cooler than the Mule FXT I’ve used in the past.

I’m sure it could be better…but it’s not unbearable by any means.

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Putting insulation under the bed will help protect whatever you have in the bed from engine heat, but that's about it. Removing plastic engine covers, unless replacing them with something else, seems counterintuitive. Adding a layer of foil/foam insulation to the plastic covers would probably help. The whole idea of adding a layer of insulation, especially if it covers the gaps and holes in any original cover, seems to be the preferred method . . . that and adding a fan (bilge blower or radiator type) to blow air on the engine headers is popular. Lots of threads on it.

For the more complete insulation shields, there are some selling pre-cut and ready to go shields here. Another alternative is to buy the material and make your own. A few use window sun shield, some use reflectex (kinda like mylar covered bubble wrap) and then there's thin foam insulation with reflective liner.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Like what @JenElio aka Jennay said
was on a P1k3 and i belive originated on here in 16’ but found a thread IN THE SEARCH imagine that 😂 🥳 From 17’ that has the pros and cons of it. Pro tip: bilge fan mod works best

slowdryrider

slowdryrider

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 14, 2013
Canada
One thing I forgot to mention is that I had taken off the seat back and sealed off the complete opening of all the behind seat area with rubber and insulation. I didn't want any cold air coming in around the back of the seat and it keeps the heat out too. As far as I'm concerned the seat back shouldn't have been the only thing to keep cold or heat out. I'm quite happy with how mine is sealed now. Plus every hole/crack etc; has been sealed up as well as the shifter holes , the dash display plus every switch and the tilt steering. Mine is almost air tight now when riding and yeah I love the heat in the winter.

Reactions: JenElio
Bighat

Bighat

Nov 25, 2021
Gallipolis Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Great info. I was also trying to avoid a fan. My rig isn't bad with heat but it can get hot on your lower behind. Others have said the seat is hot when riding with me. If removing the cover doesn't solve the problem it's a waste of time. I've also looked at insulation, but not the thin stuff they sell in the kit. I was looking at insulation that's made for heavy equipment enclosures but that job would be a job to install correctly and it's not cheap at all. Here's some information on it. Cab Insulation - Engine Compartment

Reactions: Lady01
Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Great info. I was also trying to avoid a fan. My rig isn't bad with heat but it can get hot on your lower behind. Others have said the seat is hot when riding with me. If removing the cover doesn't solve the problem it's a waste of time. I've also looked at insulation, but not the thin stuff they sell in the kit. I was looking at insulation that's made for heavy equipment enclosures but that job would be a job to install correctly and it's not cheap at all. Here's some information on it. Cab Insulation - Engine Compartment
This is what u need. Also a vender on here we like to support!
@trigger

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!