P1000 So I tried everything to avoid the bilge fan....

Tbowman053

Tbowman053

Dec 18, 2016
Henderson, MD
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I tried the heat shield, I tried removing the engine cover which people suggest on P1k3 will fix it, and I even removed my one piece windshield. Removing the windshield definetly worked the best but hitting bugs at 50mph and eyes watering the whole time, when I had a windshield in garage wasn't working for me. So I purchased the 4" bilge from amazon and just the little bit of testing ive done with it, im SOOOOO happy an have no idea what took me so long. But the only problem im having is the Heat is coming right up behind the seats where the bed meets. I believe this is because I have the engine cover off or does it do this with it on as well? It moves from air too now wonder the seat gets so hot with how much hot air that's coming out of there. Its really not a concern its not coming back in the cab from what I can tell just when I reach my hand back there or rest my arm across back of seat I can start to feel it.
Bilge

Tigermark

Tigermark

Outside looking in.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
You guys do know that Honda came out with a factory fix for the heat issue yesterday. It's free, just contact your dealer.
I did my work several weeks ago prior to the release if the service bulletin. I still believe you will need a fan even after the factory fix.

Plongson

Plongson

May 18, 2017
Southern Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The factory fix look like they never really rode in a hot P1K....Really appears to be a lame attempt to fix the heat. I like the front air dam retro fit idea and a bilge fan with a manual switch keyed to the ignition seems to be the sweet answer...

If you're hot...flip it on
If it's winter and you're cold...leave it off.

I might forgo the Honda Hot Seat Fix and eventually go for the bilge fan. I REALLY like the idea of available heat if I want it.

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've had insulation and fans installed for several months. No heat problems at all. No sense in me dropping my rig off at the dealer hoping Hondas fix will take care of the problem.

Tbowman053

Tbowman053

Dec 18, 2016
Henderson, MD
Ownership

1. 1000-3
You guys do know that Honda came out with a factory fix for the heat issue yesterday. It's free, just contact your dealer.
That's not a fix, Honda sealed the seat opening to protect thierself from a law suit from steam. Sealing it is going to have the engine compartment it will probably start melting plastic

sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I tried the heat shield, I tried removing the engine cover which people suggest on P1k3 will fix it, and I even removed my one piece windshield. Removing the windshield definetly worked the best but hitting bugs at 50mph and eyes watering the whole time, when I had a windshield in garage wasn't working for me. So I purchased the 4" bilge from amazon and just the little bit of testing ive done with it, im SOOOOO happy an have no idea what took me so long. But the only problem im having is the Heat is coming right up behind the seats where the bed meets. I believe this is because I have the engine cover off or does it do this with it on as well? It moves from air too now wonder the seat gets so hot with how much hot air that's coming out of there. Its really not a concern its not coming back in the cab from what I can tell just when I reach my hand back there or rest my arm across back of seat I can start to feel it.View attachment 52560
Angle your fan a little to blow where the headers are, that will help with the problem.

advertisement
O

oilslick

May 4, 2016
central illinois
I don't recommend a bug buster windscreen, mine made it a month out of warranty and now it's getting holes in it easier. It helped with the heat!

Reactions: JTW
H

HondaTech

That's not a fix, Honda sealed the seat opening to protect thierself from a law suit from steam. Sealing it is going to have the engine compartment it will probably start melting plastic
This fix is pretty much already on the '17 models, no melted plastic yet. Some of you guys have never ridden in a first gen Teryx. Seriously no doors, a windshield, and a top in freezing weather and im sweating.

Reactions: Remington

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I'm curious to see how well their "fix" works... I honestly think our heat shield and fans will prove to be a much better fix. And still under 50 bucks.
Agreed but I want their little seat belt seal thingys to add to my heat shield!!

Reactions: Tigermark and JTW
Tbowman053

Tbowman053

Dec 18, 2016
Henderson, MD
Ownership

1. 1000-3
This fix is pretty much already on the '17 models, no melted plastic yet. Some of you guys have never ridden in a first gen Teryx. Seriously no doors, a windshield, and a top in freezing weather and im sweating.
The rubber on the 17 first, doesn't work. And from what ive read this pretty much seals the opening in the seat so the heat cant get threw, which means all the heat is going where?? NO WHERE. The 17 is rubber, this has foam and weather stripping etc. Seems like its a way Honda can cover there ass for future steam burn cases.

Reactions: Bosburn05
Tbowman053

Tbowman053

Dec 18, 2016
Henderson, MD
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Angle your fan a little to blow where the headers are, that will help with the problem.
Down? because its pointed right at the header but probably right at the top where it connects to the head.

H

HondaTech

The 17 does have the weatherstripping behind the seat. The only difference i can see is the new rubber mat under the seat doesnt have the hole for the sub trans dipstick and theyve added a small seat pad between the upper and lower seat to keep your back from touching hot plastic. Plus some thinnen, i think, foam padding in the center of the plastic panel as well.

Reactions: Remington
Hawk53

Hawk53

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2014
Alberta Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-3

Any idea what it is ???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Poppaj

Poppaj

Apr 29, 2017
SE Oklahoma
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I tried two things from other threads. Both worked great!!! Finally can stay in the darn thing during warm weather. Wife no longer hates riding!!
1. get the deflector and rubber piece behind radiator from 17 model. You'll swear you're wasting your time, but it works.
2. 8" cooling fan mounted under seat. I also used a thermostat, so its not running until it warms up good.

I have a 2 piece windshield, and took the bottom piece out, leaving the top. This allows the wind to come in freely, without having to eat bugs.

K

Kolton

Oct 15, 2016
Vance, al
Ownership

1. 1000-5
View attachment 52564 View attachment 52565

I have 2, 4" bilge fans installed, and heat shield that goes up behind the seat back. Also have additional insulation glued to the back of the plastic center section. Heat issue non existant now.
Did you cut holes in the front of your engine compartment behind your legs to bring in fresh air? If so did it help? I also have 2 fan set up, and I was just wondering if I was getting the most out of them.

Reactions: sharp
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!