P1000 So I tried everything to avoid the bilge fan....

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I tried two things from other threads. Both worked great!!! Finally can stay in the darn thing during warm weather. Wife no longer hates riding!!
1. get the deflector and rubber piece behind radiator from 17 model. You'll swear you're wasting your time, but it works.
2. 8" cooling fan mounted under seat. I also used a thermostat, so its not running until it warms up good.

I have a 2 piece windshield, and took the bottom piece out, leaving the top. This allows the wind to come in freely, without having to eat bugs.

Losing the windshield probably makes the biggest difference, my 700 was almost unridable with the glass windshield in place in the 9 month long hot humid season we have that's not winter.

I picked up a bug buster for the 1000 for warm weather and I don't even notice the heat anymore. The glass is great in winter though, wiper/washer makes it easy to clean.

2453784e2262332a3284fa35598bc45b

Reactions: sharp
R

rkwerner

Jun 15, 2017
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I really like the SuperATV Flip-out windshield so far. I can crack it open when riding wet trails to prevent the steam fogging, I can close it to cut airflow, and I can open it completely for maximum cooling at low speed. I used it in a bunch on the 365 mile ride I did a couple weeks ago and was extremely happy with its performance. With the amount of rain we received I can't imagine the Bugbuster would have been enjoyable. With the soft top and flip out windshield I never even put on my rain pants, the cab stayed quite dry.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I really like the SuperATV Flip-out windshield so far. I can crack it open when riding wet trails to prevent the steam fogging, I can close it to cut airflow, and I can open it completely for maximum cooling at low speed. I used it in a bunch on the 365 mile ride I did a couple weeks ago and was extremely happy with its performance. With the amount of rain we received I can't imagine the Bugbuster would have been enjoyable. With the soft top and flip out windshield I never even put on my rain pants, the cab stayed quite dry.

That is downside in the rain but I use mine a lot for utility in summer so if I'm working it ain't raining.

Long rides with high prob of rain I'll put it back on. Need to figure out a way to push it out on bottom for venting.

Tigermark

Tigermark

Outside looking in.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Did you cut holes in the front of your engine compartment behind your legs to bring in fresh air? If so did it help? I also have 2 fan set up, and I was just wondering if I was getting the most out of them.
I haven't yet. I did purchase some 3" round vents from Amazon to install, just haven't had time. I'll post pics when I get it completed.

J

JTW

That is downside in the rain but I use mine a lot for utility in summer so if I'm working it ain't raining.

Long rides with high prob of rain I'll put it back on. Need to figure out a way to push it out on bottom for venting.
Did you see that thread back in the winter about tilting the Honda glass windshield?

nevadajim

nevadajim

May 30, 2017
Smith Valley, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I haven't yet. I did purchase some 3" round vents from Amazon to install, just haven't had time. I'll post pics when I get it completed.
I was having 'seat-heat problems as well as engine over heating problems. First I installed 1/4" thick felt w/ aluminum backing below the seat and about half way up the seat back. I made the mistake of putting the aluminum side down and I believe this caused the engine to over heat. So, I reversed it and put the aluminum side up. This took care of the hot seat issue. However, I also wanted to cool the engine. So I purchased the SEAFLOW 4" bulge fan on Amazon ($34.95) and installed it to a 4" hole I cut in the center of the engine compartment behind where the legs of the center passenger would be. Thus taking cab air and forcing it over the engine and out the back. Further, I installed a 10 amp circuit breaker and a rocker switch. I can now reverse the fan in winter and force hot engine compartment air into the cab area. I have yet to tested this on an extreme hot day like we had when it over heated the engine. Winter is getting closer so I will have a chance to test it in reverse pretty soon. On the cold days I plan to have a blanket over our legs and that will help confine the hot air to keep our legs and lower body warm. We'll see if it works.

nevadajim

nevadajim

May 30, 2017
Smith Valley, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I tried two things from other threads. Both worked great!!! Finally can stay in the darn thing during warm weather. Wife no longer hates riding!!
1. get the deflector and rubber piece behind radiator from 17 model. You'll swear you're wasting your time, but it works.
2. 8" cooling fan mounted under seat. I also used a thermostat, so its not running until it warms up good.

I have a 2 piece windshield, and took the bottom piece out, leaving the top. This allows the wind to come in freely, without having to eat bugs.
Papaj, Can you be more descriptive? Can you send a pic of the deflector & rubber piece from the 2017? What is the make and model of the 8" fan. A Photo of the instal would be helpful. What thermostat & where did you mount it. Thanks, Nevadajim

J

JTW

Papaj, Can you be more descriptive? Can you send a pic of the deflector & rubber piece from the 2017? What is the make and model of the 8" fan. A Photo of the instal would be helpful. What thermostat & where did you mount it. Thanks, Nevadajim
Just look up 8" radiator fan on Amazon.. they're about 30 bucks.

advertisement
Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I was having 'seat-heat problems as well as engine over heating problems. First I installed 1/4" thick felt w/ aluminum backing below the seat and about half way up the seat back. I made the mistake of putting the aluminum side down and I believe this caused the engine to over heat. So, I reversed it and put the aluminum side up. This took care of the hot seat issue. However, I also wanted to cool the engine. So I purchased the SEAFLOW 4" bulge fan on Amazon ($34.95) and installed it to a 4" hole I cut in the center of the engine compartment behind where the legs of the center passenger would be. Thus taking cab air and forcing it over the engine and out the back. Further, I installed a 10 amp circuit breaker and a rocker switch. I can now reverse the fan in winter and force hot engine compartment air into the cab area. I have yet to tested this on an extreme hot day like we had when it over heated the engine. Winter is getting closer so I will have a chance to test it in reverse pretty soon. On the cold days I plan to have a blanket over our legs and that will help confine the hot air to keep our legs and lower body warm. We'll see if it works.
Do you have some pics of your set up for the vents and the rocker switch! Interested is doing that to mine. Thanks

DMH

DMH

May 9, 2017
Central Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Around 400 miles in the Florida heat this summer with at least two women as passengers per ride. We are heading out again in the morning.

Man up!

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Around 400 miles in the Florida heat this summer with at least two women as passengers per ride. We are heading out again in the morning.

Man up!
It's not about "manning up". It's about improving on a poorly designed machine. My motorcycle has engine heat rising at a stop light. I get it. Heat rises. But if I'm hotter in a machine at speed because radiator heat is channeled and ram-jetted into my face than I am when I'm stopped...I'd feel like less of a man if I just "lived with it" instead of solving the problem... which is what real men do.

J

Jpred1

Mar 25, 2017
Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Reverse polarity switch. Flip up for sc and down to heat.
IMG 1291
IMG 1292
IMG 1293
IMG 1291
IMG 1292

DMH

DMH

May 9, 2017
Central Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
It's not about "manning up". It's about improving on a poorly designed machine. My motorcycle has engine heat rising at a stop light. I get it. Heat rises. But if I'm hotter in a machine at speed because radiator heat is channeled and ram-jetted into my face than I am when I'm stopped...I'd feel like less of a man if I just "lived with it" instead of solving the problem... which is what real men do.

Sorry, but from our experience it's a WAY over-exaggerated issue.

Reactions: lee and ToddACimer
mjn

mjn

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 31, 2018
SE Washington State/N Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Sorry, but from our experience it's a WAY over-exaggerated issue.

As has been said.. it gets hot.

Either the skin on your butt is like leather, or you don't ride far enough/slow enough to notice it. I have an '18 LE that has the "comfort kit" already installed, and after trail riding for about 20 minutes at 4-10 mph, the seat.. particularly the passenger side is uncomfortably warm. The area between the lower and upper cushion is hot to the touch.

I'll be installing a fan and more insulation this winter.

Reactions: 0860silverado
DMH

DMH

May 9, 2017
Central Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
As has been said.. it gets hot.

Either the skin on your butt is like leather, or you don't ride far enough/slow enough to notice it. I have an '18 LE that has the "comfort kit" already installed, and after trail riding for about 20 minutes at 4-10 mph, the seat.. particularly the passenger side is uncomfortably warm. The area between the lower and upper cushion is hot to the touch.

I'll be installing a fan and more insulation this winter.

The passenger side is where my wife rides and I can assure you her butt is soft as a feather. :)

Reactions: popeye
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!