BOX1

Talon Picked up my Talon X today!!!

1Ron

Dec 18, 2018
Rockies
Ownership

1. Other Brand
OK here’s the quote from UTV Guide-the Rock Crawl review:

Low Range – The Talon comes with separate low and high range so coupled with their 6-speed transmission you actually end up with 12 forward gears. The separate high/low has a ratio of 1:1.4 and in my opinion Honda could have made that much lower since there are 6 total gears to choose from. I want low range to span from super slow speed technical rock crawling to about 30MPH tops. 53MPH top speed in low range is pretty silly.

I believe that top speed is limited by a governor....

D

Dwight

Oct 25, 2015
Kansas
Yeah, I saw that speed quoted after reading through their review. I'm also disappointed in the low gear ratio. With a 53mph speed in low range and with the type of riding we do the selector lever may rust in place! I want to like this buggy but am concerned that we may see some of the clutch problems that the Yamaha yxz and the 1000 Pioneer suffered. Crawling is a big part of what we do and 30" tires are pretty standard which will add to the gearing problem. Wouldn't it be great if there was a simple and cheap way re-gear low range? Maybe it will all work as is, it's probably worth waiting for some real world input before I make any decisions.
Dwight

1Ron

Dec 18, 2018
Rockies
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I think it will work fine for 30’s but will try my 32’s first. I’m presently running almost new 10 ply Kanati Terra Masters. Each inch is about 4% taller gearing so 32’s make low range almost like high for most riding. Top speed now almost 60. That might be OK if lower gears are still low. With my CVT I run low range except for flat trails or roads and have to hit rock ledges with momentum to avoid burning the belt. The only way to know is going to be by trying it. Heavier 32’s will also change unsprung weight and might require shock tuning.
One good thing is that (in theory) it should be easier to gear the transfer case vs the transmission.

DaveM47

DaveM47

Feb 26, 2019
Helena MT
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Yes. I'm working on a review. But I dont have a team like some of these other groups. Goal is mid week.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
I cant wait to hear back from you, i should have my X in a couple weeks i hope, let me know how loud the engine is, can you converse with a passenger without screaming and such. The CanAm i had was so loud you had to scream and wear ear plugs. Good Luck and don't make everyone here what to long LOL

Talonpalooza

Talonpalooza

Feb 25, 2019
Michigan
Ownership

1. Talon X
I cant wait to hear back from you, i should have my X in a couple weeks i hope, let me know how loud the engine is, can you converse with a passenger without screaming and such. The CanAm i had was so loud you had to scream and wear ear plugs. Good Luck and don't make everyone here what to long LOL
One of the reviewers at Sand Hollow said you could have a conversation without raising voice.

Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
H

HondaTech

I'd assume its similar to a P1K, maybe better since the engine is more open and further back in the chassis.

Caper

Caper

May 3, 2017
Halifax Nova Scotia
Ownership

1. 500
WillyBill

WillyBill

Wheeling Addict
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2017
Clinton, Utah
Ownership

1. Talon X LV
S

Shelly

Lifetime Member
May 10, 2018
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Congrats on the new talon. I have been looking at them hard. I have a 2017 1000-5LE. It is perfect for what I need right now but in a couple of years it will not be perfect for what I need.

S

swampsnake

Lifetime Member
Aug 24, 2017
florida
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Congratz on yer new toy! You've managed to make Alot of us lil boys very envious! Next pix better have our other favorite colour MUD!! Ride safe & enjoy..

Vondy

Vondy

Lifetime Member
Mar 10, 2015
Houston,OH
Ownership

1. Talon x4
Congrats, Sure are making the wait difficult on some of us!

Reactions: sharp
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!